C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 glass hatch conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Default 1982 glass hatch conversion

Hello!

I'm doing a frame off restoration on a 1980. Body is on a dolly right now mediablasted with all glass removed. I noticed the 1982 models have a glass hatch. How hard is it to retrofit that into a 1980?

-- Joe
Old 09-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts

The hard part would be finding the parts. Not all '82s had it, it was an option and nobody reproduces the parts.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:22 PM
70s
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

The hatch was only on the 1982 Collectors Edition models (CE) not all 1982's. You can convert a 1978-1982 (non-CE) to a functioning hatch but most parts are not available. Typically find a 1982 CE being parted out. Beware that the hinges were a pot metal or sorts and are well know to stretch. Replacement hinges are not available. Someone was making them in their shop a while back for something like $400-$600 a pair but try to find someone that has them let alone will part with them. An opening hatch is a novelty on a non-CE car but it comes with a big price. Oh, access is practical from the side but not the rear like a conventional hatchback car.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:26 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 70s
The hatch was only on the 1982 Collectors Edition models (CE) not all 1982's. You can convert a 1978-1982 (non-CE) to a functioning hatch but most parts are not available. Typically find a 1982 CE being parted out. Beware that the hinges were a pot metal or sorts and are well know to stretch. Replacement hinges are not available. Someone was making them in their shop a while back for something like $400-$600 a pair but try to find someone that has them let alone will part with them. An opening hatch is a novelty on a non-CE car but it comes with a big price. Oh, access is practical from the side but not the rear like a conventional hatchback car.
So what you're saying is it's quite expensive to find and buy the parts, and the access isn't the same as my C4 so I should just forget about it?

Thanks guys!

-- Joe
Old 09-20-2021, 02:34 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,012 Likes on 692 Posts

Yep! I think it is a complete waste of time and money to do a rear hatch, but would be cool The glass hatch alone is very rare and expensive when found, the hinges are another issue unless you happen to find the hinges with the hatch. At least at that point, you would have something to work with. GL if you pursue that project.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I second buccaneer. My glass hatch opens and I have actually opened it 3-4 times in probably 14 years.
Never saw the need for it.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:32 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

OK everyone a story to make you sick..........

When i was stationed in Colorado Springs, i responded to a CList ad offering a "hatchvette kit". Man's brother was a GM engineer, passed away and executor sent a large box from the garage (in Michigan) out to the surviving brother as he was a "car guy". When we opened the box upon arrival, it not only had 1 kit BUT 4 OTHERS AS WELL. As i only had FAST81 at the time, i only bought a single kit from him. I've kicked myself ever since then that i didn't make him a package deal for the whole lot................
The kit contents were stored inside FAST81 when it burned but i stored the back glass inside my parents house so it survived,

FAST
Old 09-20-2021, 10:02 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,343 Posts

The 78-82 Corvette rear glass hatch was originally developed in 1978/79 by the t-top and sunroof conversion company, Cars & Concepts. Corvette Chief Engineer Dave McLellan, and GM engineering provided input during the development of the rear glass hatch. Starting in 79, Cars & Concepts offered the hatchback as either a kit to be installed by the buyer, or a completed conversion installed by an authorized Cars & Concepts installer.

I have GM Engineering letters that indicate Chevrolet planned to offer the Cars & Concepts hatch on 81 Corvettes built at Bowling Green, as an option under RPO code Z08. Per a Chevrolet Engineering Center Product Bulletin, the plan to offer the hatch glass option in 81 was cancelled in June 1980, but the hatch eventually became part of the 1982 Collector Edition package.

As others have indicated, while the glass hatch was a pretty neat idea, it was really more of a gimmick, than a practical hatchback option. Used hatch assemblies do turn up for sale from time to time, but even just the rear glass can sell for $2000+. Some new parts are available for the rear hatch, including the weatherstrip, release handle/cable, roof panel hinge covers, gas struts, rear hatch strikers and glass nut covers, though none of them are cheap.

If you can find one, the rear hatch will make for an interesting feature to showoff at the next cruise night or cars & coffee event.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:09 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Originally Posted by Fast81
OK everyone a story to make you sick..........

When i was stationed in Colorado Springs, i responded to a CList ad offering a "hatchvette kit". Man's brother was a GM engineer, passed away and executor sent a large box from the garage (in Michigan) out to the surviving brother as he was a "car guy". When we opened the box upon arrival, it not only had 1 kit BUT 4 OTHERS AS WELL. As i only had FAST81 at the time, i only bought a single kit from him. I've kicked myself ever since then that i didn't make him a package deal for the whole lot................
The kit contents were stored inside FAST81 when it burned but i stored the back glass inside my parents house so it survived,

FAST
OHHH DEAN! 20/20 strikes again, right?
Old 09-27-2021, 12:37 AM
vetski179
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an '80 and I have done an '82 hatch conversion. Happy to help. The hardest (and most expensive) part is acquiring all the parts. Best way to start is to get everything off of a '82 CE donor, which is what I did.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-omega-10.html

This is my thread on my car. You'll have to scroll a bit to find the hatch part.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:10 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetski179
I have an '80 and I have done an '82 hatch conversion. Happy to help. The hardest (and most expensive) part is acquiring all the parts. Best way to start is to get everything off of a '82 CE donor, which is what I did.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-omega-10.html

This is my thread on my car. You'll have to scroll a bit to find the hatch part.
Interesting post and thread. That IS a ton of work just to have a hatch on a coupe. Ugh! Do you have any finished pics, just curious. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:55 AM
vetski179
Racer

This shows the hatch in place. It's as far as I've got so far. (Edited)

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 09-30-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Reference to Non Supporting Vendor removed
Old 09-28-2021, 04:58 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That's cool. Seems like a lot of work. I guess if I come across an '82 CE for short money I'll part it out but I'll put this idea on the back burner for now.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:41 PM
vetski179
Racer

I was very apprehensive about it when I first bought the hatch assembly, which had been cut out of a wrecked CE. ( It was the roll hoop, and part of the rear window surround. The whole shooting match.) I took it to a local Corvette shop and they said it was impossible, and they wouldn't do it, which added to my apprehension! Now that I've done it, I would say it's pretty easy.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:31 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

How cool would a 78PC be with the opening hatch ?!?!?!?!?
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (10-01-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:34 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,369 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by vetski179
I was very apprehensive about it when I first bought the hatch assembly, which had been cut out of a wrecked CE. ( It was the roll hoop, and part of the rear window surround. The whole shooting match.) I took it to a local Corvette shop and they said it was impossible, and they wouldn't do it, which added to my apprehension! Now that I've done it, I would say it's pretty easy.
After viewing that entire build thread, I am going to say when you say “it’s pretty easy” I will take that with a grain of salt.
vetski179 (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:36 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Can I ask what method you used to blast the paint off the body?

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 glass hatch conversion

Old 09-30-2021, 06:05 PM
vetski179
Racer

I used a combo of fiberglass paint remover, razor blades, and sanding to remove the paint.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:06 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I 'lurked' this tread.....

Being the 'Hatch adjustment guy'...I'll say that the hatch WAS THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT A CE! I use it everyday! I find it super- convenient and all comments from people about the long reach into the cargo area were written by midgets! True, you don't load the cargo area from the rear spoiler, you access from the SIDE.

Just the convenience of accessing the battery compt...is worth the price of entry. Just being able to chuck the T-tops into the hatch=ditto. (why did they design the silly looking T-top holders?????)

Last time I checked the glass was $3000 and the gasket was $414. The release handle and latches are near unobtainium. Then the entire rear deck and trim is CE specific. The basket handle trim with the cut outs is specific as well. The U-shaped cheezy plastic hinge trim are at least $75 a pair (for 38cents worth of plastic.) So yes indeed, it's better to buy a dead/wrecked CE!
I personally, am constantly looking for one! Even cheaper, but more rare is finding a wrecked 'regular' 78-82 that was converted back in the day to a C&C...they ARE AROUND. I saw one just last year.

The myth of the 'regular bubbleback' being convertible to a hatch is just that, an unsubstantiated MYTH...they are TWO DIFFERENT sizes of glass.

Buccy and I will buy some other parts from you!

Okay, full disclosure having lived with the hatch for 7 years;
They are subject to wind noise and leaks. Adjusting the hatch is difficult but not rocket-science EITHER. The hinges DO stretch but they can and should be re-used (look up yield strength of aluminum!) It's amazing how much 'hatch hinge BS' that is out there. This was C& C's first shot at a hatch...I'd give them a C, but time tells, in my 82 CE all parts are ORIGINAL...so damn near 40 years. Works with a soul-satisfying 'whoosh' upon the release of the handle, EVERY TIME. Latches perfectly.
At car shows it's amusing how many people NOTICE the hatch. How many 78-82 'regular' guys say DAMN! I wish mine had the hatch!

The 78-82 was actually DESIGNED to have the hatch...just that Chevy in their 'wisdom' decided to do some 'value engineering' and cancelled the contract in '77.

Good luck....I'll help if I can.

Unkahal
Hammygoode (11-11-2023)
Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 AM
vetski179
Racer

I would say this about a hatch and its usefulness:

We do a lot of things to our cars that we really don't need and rarely use.

The 454 SBC in this '80 I'm doing was dyno'd at 590 HP. I'll never need that much, or, at least, will use that HP far less frequently than opening the hatch. It's the enjoyment we get (or I got) from proving the Corvette shop that told me it was impossible wrong. And making little mechanical and engineering challenges for ourselves and overcoming those. And, maybe, being at a show and having someone notice and talk to you about it. Some little thing that you've never seen before and incorporated into your build. That's the joy of a major DIY project that beats the crap out of paying a shop to do it IMO.
L-46man thanks for the comments. I have the '82 hatch, and the stock '80 rear window I removed. Aside from the holes for the hinges and lock pins, they seem virtually identical. I'll have to measure them. Maybe the stock '80 window is a touch longer to fit in the fixed-window weather stripping? I know, when I removed the fixed window, all the associated weather stripping, and got the channel down to bare fiberglass, the CE weather stripping laid right in there, and CE hatch laid in the weather stripping perfect.

Last edited by vetski179; 10-03-2021 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 1982 glass hatch conversion