C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Removal with the Hood On

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Heus
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I personally don't see not removing the hood as cutting corners. There is just as much chance of screwing up your hood taking it off. For example, scratching it, dropping it, setting it down too hard, having a kid or pet scratch it, etc.
The following users liked this post:
DC3 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:27 PM
pspicci
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 185 Posts

I vote remove the hood. It's easy. i do mine myself. i take one of the bolts out of the hood on the pass side and replace it with a 2" piece of threaded stud then remove the other bolt. then i go on the drivers side and hold the front of the hood with my left hand and remove both bolts from the hood and then remove the hood. make sure you trace the outline of the hinge for reassembly. Or just get someone to help. As far as storing the hood throw a blanket or two on the roof of the car and set it on the roof if you don't have anyone running around who can bang into it. in the picture you can see my original hood setting on the roof while i was test fitting a L88 hood a few years ago.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:32 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by pspicci
I vote remove the hood. It's easy. i do mine myself..........
........I just unbolt it, pick it up and carry it away. No biggie. (But if you cannot easily do this, then by all means get some help......it's a 2 minute job!)
Old 08-17-2021, 06:16 PM
0311 jarhead
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by pspicci
I vote remove the hood. It's easy. i do mine myself. i take one of the bolts out of the hood on the pass side and replace it with a 2" piece of threaded stud then remove the other bolt. then i go on the drivers side and hold the front of the hood with my left hand and remove both bolts from the hood and then remove the hood. make sure you trace the outline of the hinge for reassembly. Or just get someone to help. As far as storing the hood throw a blanket or two on the roof of the car and set it on the roof if you don't have anyone running around who can bang into it. in the picture you can see my original hood setting on the roof while i was test fitting a L88 hood a few years ago.
Not to hijack, but where did you buy the hood and are you happy with it?
Thanks
Old 08-17-2021, 06:38 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
leaving the hood on is asking for grief and trouble. before you remove it take a silver sharpie and mark the front hinges on the frame and the hood. That way re-alignment is as easy as getting it in the spot that is marked. Just get a friend or neighbor to help tieh removal. I use a gantry i built and wrap strapes around it aot get it off by myself. Get a bicycle wall hanger and pad it then put the hood on it nose down. It will self center then I use ratchet straps and hook them inot th epin holes and secure them to the wall or ceiling....

FWIW, I did something like this except I used blue painter's tape along the hinges' edges. I didn't want to leave permanent marks on the hood. I've done this several times with 100% success.

BTW and also FWIW, I wouldn't dream of pulling the engine with the hood on. You already have challenges, making sure to get it out without damaging anything. Why add more risk?

Last edited by redrdstr72; 08-17-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:15 PM
JayK47
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Good to hear some here have tried it successfully. I think it is doable and the only reason I can think of that I would want the hood off is if I had a big enough cherry picker to grab from the front. But since I most likely have to pull from the side, removing the hood has so much less benefit.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:53 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JayK47
Good to hear some here have tried it successfully. I think it is doable and the only reason I can think of that I would want the hood off is if I had a big enough cherry picker to grab from the front. But since I most likely have to pull from the side, removing the hood has so much less benefit.
OK, but know that it can be done with a standard length picker. Just go in on a bit of an angle, meeting right up to the angle of one side of the front bumper.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:56 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
JUST PULL THE HOOD. You're considering the job of pulling the engine (a much more involved job), and trying to cut a corner here? Don't make it hard on yourself, or have to worry about smacking the hood with the engine in the process. It's slightly awkward but not that heavy. Use a sling and your engine puller to remove it first if you have to. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
This debate has gone on way longer than the time saved not taking off the hood....

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
Bikespace (08-19-2021), Jarhead 74 Vette (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 08:02 PM
pspicci
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by 0311 jarhead
Not to hijack, but where did you buy the hood and are you happy with it?
Thanks
got it from ecklers. It fit with no trimming. a corner of it got dinged in shipping and they gave me a credit of 50 or 75 dollars on it.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:10 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
This debate has gone on way longer than the time saved not taking off the hood....

I had no choice. I literally had no one to help me with this project. Trying to find a way to remove the hood by myself and then store it safely for the duration of the project was a greater risk to the hood than pulling the engine with it on. Plus it would have taken way more of my time. Pulling the engine with the hood on was easy and I'd do it again without reservation.

DC

Old 08-17-2021, 08:57 PM
ebbnflow
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

JMO ... Kinda like serious work under the dash without first removing the seat. YMMV
JayK47 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:07 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

If your worried about pulling hood, I wouldn't pull motor

69L88 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:54 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 755 Posts

33 posts for a question that should have been answered/accepted full stop at Post #2. Good grief.

Last edited by 69L88; 08-18-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:33 PM
JayK47
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ebbnflow
JMO ... Kinda like serious work under the dash without first removing the seat. YMMV
So your saying I should leave the hook on while pulling the motor I found a pretty comfortable way to work under the dash with the seats in. Since the seats are so close to the floor, it is pretty comfortable compared to other cars I have had to work on.

I'll be sure to post pictures when it comes time to pull the engine. If I decide to pull the hood, I'll ask 69L88 to drop by for the assist.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:27 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

GM never even opened the Hood when they assembled the car in the first place.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:51 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I did mine with the hood. It didn't occur to me at all that I'd needed to remove it at any point in the removal of my 350 or installation of my 400. I've done plenty of jobs where I didn't do something to save time and spent more time working around the thing - the engine swap was NOT that job.

If you're pulling the motor AND the transmission, then yes, yank the hood.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:11 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank You! But don't You All agree that this 68 sb hood Vette is really fast?? I have seen videos of other heavily modified C3's with Huge tall hood scoops going down the even the shorter 1/8 mile track that didnt seem nearly this quick! I would love to know what is underneath that low hood. I have a low hood myself, thats why...

Last edited by Alex66; 11-06-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:38 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by any4xx
I’ve never seen, nor ever heard of it being done. And honestly, I couldn’t imagine it. The hood isn’t that heavy. I’d be more afraid of breaking it by trying to maneuver an engine on a hoist around it than I would be of damaging it by removing it.
I used to be the proud owner of a custom corvette shop. WE NEVER NEVER removed the hood for engine changes. It just adds man hours to the job. Even when you mark the hinges you invariably have to trial fit an move the hood around to get it centered the best. I personally chipped the edge of a custom painted hood ( my own ) When I was changing to a high rise hood.

I've never counted the number of vette motor changes that I have helped with. you just go in from the side. Another thing is I make non removable cross members removable unless the owner has something about pure stock numbers matching idea. I never do the engine and tranny connected. I put the engine in and then stab the tranny to the mounted motor with a floor jack or stands if on a lift to adjust the rear of the motor down.

We tracked the man hours of changing motors different ways and it saved time and money doing them separated with the hood left on! Two people was always less than a days job especially with race type motors with very little garbage under the hood. At the race track we had motor changes down to an evening before heading back to the hotels
The following 2 users liked this post by gkull:
Heus (11-06-2021), JayK47 (11-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Engine Removal with the Hood On