C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 LS-5 Power Steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 03:29 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1971 LS-5 Power Steering pump

I am finally getting around to ordering another PS pump. Are there any differences for the LS-5 or can I order any pump for the period? Does anyone on here have any recommendations; i.e. Doc Rebuild etc? I don't want a failure.

I have hydroboost and I think my old pump is giving up as the brakes are not working as good as previously. Any tips or issues to look out for? I know the flow of the pumps changed over the years as well.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:44 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Best chance of getting a decent pump will be Lonestar. They rebuild most of the pumps sold by retailers anyway so just buy direct.

But I'd recommend rebuilding your pump yourself. Rebuild kits are cheap and the Saginaw pumps are so easy to work on.

Nothing special about the LS-5 pump. Same Saginaw pretty much any domestic car used back in the day. Just be sure it has the keyed shaft and not the press on pulley shaft later ones used.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:02 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Zwede, over the years you have been a great resource of advice. Unfortunately I moved yet again from Texas back overseas. I keep the car at my 95 year old Grandmother's! I will be in country for only a few weeks and want to drive. So, I need to "farm out" the work locally and hope it is ready to run when I get back. Car is now in Maryland.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:18 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

do some homework. i have hydroboost in a 2001 gmc van. i have no idea if pressure and volume are the same as a standard PS pump. but since it runs steering and brakes, you need to know the pump is correct for the task.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:21 AM
PJO
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 469 Posts

original part number 7808286
Old 07-29-2021, 04:25 PM
Paul71LT1
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I put a NEW PS pump in my 69 BB last year after talking with Brian Bair at Carlisle. There have been too many stories of "rebuilt" pumps that fail/leak so Bair's only sells new pumps. It's not that much money and you are assured that you will be putting in a good pump. Do it right the first time and avoid the potential frustration of doing it twice, especially since you will be paying someone else for the labor.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:02 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
do some homework. i have hydroboost in a 2001 gmc van. i have no idea if pressure and volume are the same as a standard PS pump. but since it runs steering and brakes, you need to know the pump is correct for the task.
I bought a Saginaw pump that was intended to be used with a GM hydroboost equipped vehicle. All their diesels have hydroboost PBs. This Saginaw pump looked identical to my 70 pump......with two exceptions, the pump shaft was for a push on pulley AND the reservoir, the ham can, had two low pressure returns. One low pressure return was for power steering and the other low pressure return was for the hydoboost. I switched the reservoirs, so my 70 Saginaw pump now has a seperate low pressure for my hydroboost. This will prevent the return fluid from the PS interferring with the return fluid from the hydroboost. I've read that the hydroboost requires 0 backpressure on the return line (low/no pressure return).
Old 07-30-2021, 02:52 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,149 Likes on 2,078 Posts

I agree with Zwede, rebuild yours (they are so basic it's almost embarrassing) if you do switch pumps use the pressure valve from your pump (there was a thread way back by jim shea concerning the pressure on the vette steering setup vs "normal" cars.

Mine would run a bit hot if in certain situations, not normal conditions (also run hydroboost) so I added a small cooler and that solved that. Otherwise several years on the original rebuilt pump without any issues
M

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 LS-5 Power Steering pump

Quick Reply: 1971 LS-5 Power Steering pump