C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 crossmember pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 700r4 crossmember pics

if you have a 700r4 in your c3 can you post a pic of the new or fabricated Xmember, or even better if you have the bacis dimensions you could post, to give me a good starting point,,,thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 11:35 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: 700r4 crossmember pics (Titanium Rat)

I don't understand the need for any other cross support other than the stock setup, UNLESS you are going todual exhaust in a car without dual frame holes...

the mounting shoe for the stock xmemeber can be relatively easily modified to fit most all 700r4....from a pickup or car....NOT a C4 vette....

I did it with my welded x support from a muncie '72 vette....if I can do it. somehow I"m sure others here with much more facilities can do it also...

all I did was take the stock tranny setup off and set it face down on level floor, same with 700, and with a framing square and some thought...measured just what the offsets were from the original setup to the 700r4......I recall, it dropped an inch or so...and to the rear about 2.75 inches....I made long slotted mounting holes just like the original mount design....and had JUST enough room with my modded saddle/shoe mount...

GENE
Old 12-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 700r4 crossmember pics (mrvette)

ok thats not as bad as i figured it would be, thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 12:42 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[Modified by Red73, 12:43 PM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 01:19 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a website that'll explain the whole thing:
http://www.c3sharktank.com/tech2/tranny1.html :seeya
Old 12-18-2002, 06:47 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: 700r4 crossmember pics (Red73)

Mine looks just like Reds as shown :yesnod: . It's from Bowtie Overdrives for the 700R in a C3 :) .
Old 12-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: 700r4 crossmember pics (SmokedTires)

I have an old style member, installed in 82. It only required 2 holes to be drilled for 700R4, uses stock trans mount, and the bottom opening (to reach the bolts) needs to be enlarged somewhat. It was pretty straight forward.

Marck

Old 12-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to knock on anyone but there's no need for a different crossmember or even a modified one unless your going for less weight. All I did was modify the stock transmission mount. No cutting, drilling, or moving of anything. Just a simple tranny mount modification. Here are the pics:

Old 12-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 700r4 crossmember pics (Stingy74)

Stingy 74, I had a simular mount but changed to the crossmember from bowtie so that I could run any exhaust configuration that I wanted and not have to worry about routing the exhaust through the crossmember. Rod
Old 12-18-2002, 08:41 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 700r4 crossmember pics (Red73)

You can get a plate from bowtie overdrives that bolts the the existing crossmember with a new tranny mount for like $80. I was converting from a TH400, I think it had a different mount plate than the TH-350's did.

Old 12-22-2002, 01:26 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE]Not to knock on anyone but there's no need for a different crossmember or even a modified one unless your going for less weight. All I did was modify the stock transmission mount. No cutting, drilling, or moving of anything. [Q]
i like this idea better,,,,i think ill give this one a go, also
these are the #'s i got off my new trans,,cam someone tell me what car this came out of

on the passenger side lower (right above the pan) 5yz0030
on the drivers side (middle of the trans) 31-3574-0931
on the front pump 610 83
on the larger outer shaft, 27 splines
on the smaller, inner shaft, 30 spline
-----------------------------------
here are some pics of the trans,i have the shifter plate problem tackled, and the crossmember alteration taken care of,,,now i have read through other posts on the 700/350 swap, but still have a couple questions, i hope one of you can answer,,,

first many people say to get the bowtie EZ TV kit,,,will this detent cable do the same thing? it is adjustable

Second,,,,whats the difference between the 30 spline and the 27 spline trans, other than the obvious? When someone says 27 or 30 spline which shaft are they speaking of, the inner or outter?

Third,,that do i do with that electrical plug-in? (EDIT)i guess ill need one of these correct?

[quote from bowtie]
We offer this Complete Kit as a way to manipulate torque converter lockup. Our kit comes with everything you can possibly need and, is typically used when a vehicle is equipped with hanging pedals, and no cruise control you must use this relay. [quote from bowtie] Do i have hanging pedals in a 76??????

[Modified by Titanium Rat, 12:54 AM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-22-2002, 09:45 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help you with the tranny numbers, but here's info on the other questions...

As you read this, bear in mind that your 700r4 was removed from a car or truck with a computer which controlled the tranny to some extent. I don't know how this affects your installation because my tranny was a Bowtie unit, which is rebuilt and modified especially for installation in a non-computer car.

Yes, you will need the Painless Wiring kit. However, when the pan was off my 200-4r, I saw some other related stuff that Bowtie had installed INSIDE the tranny. I don't know exactly what it did. Call them or send an email. Tell them exactly what you have. They generally won't BS you or try to sell you something you don't need.

The cable you show in the photo is a kickdown cable, not a TV cable. It won't work. The TV Made EZ kit comes with the correct cable.

Until you actually install and adjust a TV cable, you have no idea how critical it is! (There is no vacuum modulator used in these trannys.) A click or two of adjustment in either direction makes the difference between soft shifts and "Holy Snot!" It also determines whether your tranny will last two days or twenty years!!!

The TV Made EZ kit is important because it alters the rate at which the cable is pulled through the entire motion of the carburetor arm. Trust me -- buy it. I tried to do it without this and it was not pretty at all. Also buy the pressure gauge and adjust the cable "by the book." When properly adjusted, the shifts are always right where you want them!

Good luck!!! :seeya
The following users liked this post:
warrenflx (07-25-2020)
Old 12-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

I made one from scratch using a square profile. There are some pictures in the 700r4 article at my site. (Tech section)
Old 12-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 700r4 crossmember pics (Ingar, Norway)

Hey Ingar,,
:eek: wow, that a helpful site you have there, im adding it to my favorites list,,,,thanks for posting it,, i need all the help i can get with this swap,, im trying to learn every thing i can about the 700r4,,,,,,,,,there are many on this forum that have done this and have info that would help,,,,but only a select few kind people (like yourself) have chimed in here,,,thanks to all that are helping out here! :thumbs:
Old 12-23-2002, 12:09 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, Ingar has done a great job sharing his knowledge of the 700R4 swap on his web site. :thumbs:
Loads of good info in the Corvette Forum archives too!
There's a lot of ways to skin this cat so opinions may vary. Once installed and properly set up, you will really like it.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:20 AM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

Thanks!!
I had a 76 crossmember, but found it easier to start from scratch, since it was then also possible to get a straight exhaust from the headers.
Highly recommended, even if you, like me, have no previous experience with welding and auto transmissions. The help I got here at the forum made it possible!

I'm very pleased with the result, especially concerning noise level. My new free-flow muffflers would have been unbearable at the freeway with the TH350.

Merry Christmas from Norway to all my friends at the forum!
Old 12-24-2002, 09:04 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Not to knock on anyone but there's no need for a different crossmember or even a modified one unless your going for less weight. All I did was modify the stock transmission mount. No cutting, drilling, or moving of anything. Just a simple tranny mount modification. Here are the pics:

I used the same bracket with my TKO.. and it works fine.. It saved a lot of money and work compared to the crossmember...

:cheers:

Olivier

Get notified of new replies

To 700r4 crossmember pics

Quick Reply: 700r4 crossmember pics