C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating in traffic... Should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 03:33 AM
mlauritsen
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Overheating in traffic... Should I worry?

I recently bought a 1973 BBC 'vette, and I was on a longer (1 hour) drive last week, and got stuck in traffic.

I'm a newbie (that was literally my second time out in the car), and so I didn't know what to look for until it was too late.

The engine overheated, and boiling coolant gushing onto the motorway as well as steam from the hood was my hint that it was time to pull over.

How worried should I be? I stopped immediately when things went bad, let it cool down, and I had some water with me to top it up before getting back on the road.

First part of the question relates to the incident - the car drove home fine afterwards, and I have since added 5 liters of distilled water (I will get the cooling system checked, drained and refilled with a known substance - previous owner could not tell me what's in there). What damage could I have done to the engine?

Second part of the question is why did it overheat? What are the obvious things to check? So far, from friends, I've heard "check the timing" and "replace the thermostat to be sure", which is a good start, but what else will cause overheating? It's a 454 CWR, and somebody opined that these are prone to overheating, but does that mean I should accept it?

Thanks for any input!

Ps. I felt very stupid standing on the side of the road with a gushing engine... I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the temp and pull over before the overheating next time. I'm a newbie, and I very much appreciate any info you can give me. I'm here to learn, so feel free to call out anything I should have known or done.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,556 Likes on 2,755 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

In response to the title of this thread, YES! Bloody Oath you should worry!!!
These cars have many issues with running Hot. all the seals around your radiator? proper radiator, clean, etc. stock fan?? Fan clutch working correctly?? the list goes on and on.
Your a newby. time to make friends with old guys who have been around these old cars for a while.
Join a old car club!
The following users liked this post:
ren80 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:23 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Search cooling system on this forum in both the C2 & C3 sections and grab a cup of coffee. You can start at the below link.

Corvette Cooling
Old 05-04-2021, 07:18 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

A worn out fan clutch can also cause this problem. I had an issue with my small block where the temps would climb to about 205 while sitting in traffic and that was with a 180 stat and new 3 row rad. ended up going to electric fans from the stock setup which have the ability to cool at full power even when sitting at idle... car idles at 172 all day now.
hopefully your issue is just a result of needing your coolant system flushed.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 05-04-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Greg (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:47 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

did you run the engine completely out of coolant? no. then it didn't get that hot. i don't think you are asking if overheating issue is worrisome. i think you are asking did you hurt that engine. no. big blocks are tough. there is a thing in boating about how an engine can handle a certain amount of power based on how much mass it has. not bore by stroke. but how much iron is there to play back-up cooling system if coolant gets low. light thin blocks can start to self destruct the instant there is an air pocket in them.
The following 3 users liked this post by derekderek:
Factoid (05-06-2021), Fredric Björnefält (05-22-2021), OMF (05-09-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:59 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,558 Posts

how about some pics?
Old 05-04-2021, 08:23 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Here is a general rule about overheating:

Overheating at speed, is a Coolant Circulation issue.
What this means is, plenty of air at 70 MPH, but W.P, Rad, Lower Hose, etc, can't keep up. But why?

Overheating at idle is a Air Circulation Issue.
This means the W.P. fan belts, lower hose etc are likely ok. Just can't get enough cooling air through because the vehicle is sitting still. But why?
The following 2 users liked this post by HeadsU.P.:
Renaissance Dude (05-08-2021), roamin' around (05-15-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

What was the ambient temp (approx) when your car overheated?
Old 05-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 295 Posts

Does this look like straight water or does this have a good antifreeze mixture ? straight water boils 212 degrees which isn't really hot , if it looks like you have a good antifreeze mix then disregard this message , if it's pure water then start here with a top off of full strength antifreeze
Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM
1860army
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 190 Posts

These guys have you covered on the Overheating issue, at least a good start. My comment is you have a "Brand new" 40+ year old car, I would not be taking it on a one hour drive until I did a bunch of maintenance and checking, and shorter shake down cruses... These things can hide a lot of issues and it's Better to have them happen close to home than an hour away.

Congrats on the car

Old 05-04-2021, 03:13 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

OP, did you ever look at the temperature gauge?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:44 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Ask the previous owner how old is the rad? A shiny new aluminium rad might be in your near future.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:46 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Your problem is probably a combination solution.

What does your radiator cap look like? (picture)
If it's not building pressure adequately, the coolant/water mix will boil below what the system is designed for. In other words, if the cap is not pressurizing the system, a 50/50 coolant/water mix will boil at about 225F; when pressurized to 15psi it will not boil until almost 270F.

F4Gary (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:06 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

You were stuck in traffic. No air flow or little air flow through the radiator.
So, why didn't the Rad get enough air?
Foam seals installed around the Rad?
Clutch Fan ok?
Fan belt condition?
Fan Shroud in place?

If you have compressed air, give the outside of the Rad a thorough cleaning forcing air through backwards.
Or use a garden hose, same way. You may have years & years of bugs, leaves, road grime in the Rad fins.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:10 AM
mlauritsen
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
In response to the title of this thread, YES! Bloody Oath you should worry!!!
These cars have many issues with running Hot. all the seals around your radiator? proper radiator, clean, etc. stock fan?? Fan clutch working correctly?? the list goes on and on.
Your a newby. time to make friends with old guys who have been around these old cars for a while.
Join a old car club!
Sorry, I phrased that badly. Naturally, I _am_ worried, otherwise no thread.

I'll get the cylinder pressure tested and then check, clean and refill the cooling system, just wondering what else I should look out for. Thanks for the quick response.

I am signing up to clubs as we speak, just takes a while to meet the right people... This is one of those times where corona really really gets in the way...
Old 05-05-2021, 04:17 AM
mlauritsen
Advanced

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Ask the previous owner how old is the rad? A shiny new aluminium rad might be in your near future.
I have learnt to not trust the previous owner. Cooling system seems to be full of water, not sure he bothered with distilled water, probably just from the tap.

When I picked up the car, he gave me a quick tour, then handed me a bottle of water "just in case" and sent me off, knowing full well that it was prone to overheating, and the alternator (not charging, since replaced) and battery (from 2013, couldn't hold a charge, since replaced) were not OK. The vette died on me in the middle lane of the motorway, during heavy traffic.

So I'm going to approach these issues as if the vette fell from the sky and ignore anything he told me.

Don't mean to moan (I'm sure he did what he could, and the vette+BBC are sweet apart from the problems) just for context and to address any "ask the previous owner" suggestions, which otherwise would have been sound advice.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:19 AM
mlauritsen
Advanced

Originally Posted by F4Gary
OP, did you ever look at the temperature gauge?
I did, but it overheated around 210F, and having been raised on celcius, I wasn't prepared.

Overheating at ~210F means it's pretty much all water in there, right?

I will get the system checked, cleaned and refilled with proper coolant - I might spring for waterless, I'll do anything to never overheat again.

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating in traffic... Should I worry?

Old 05-05-2021, 06:00 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by mlauritsen
I did, but it overheated around 210F, and having been raised on celcius, I wasn't prepared.

Overheating at ~210F means it's pretty much all water in there, right?

I will get the system checked, cleaned and refilled with proper coolant - I might spring for waterless, I'll do anything to never overheat again.
Water boils at 212*, adding a 15-psi radiator cap will raise the boiling point by 45° F and with the proper coolant mix (50/50) and radiator cap the boiling temp is raised from 212° F to 268° F.

You have other issues if the radiator is boiling (puking) the water out at 210F indicated on the temp gauge. 1) the temp gauge is not reading correctly, 2) you have a bad radiator cap or 3) water flow or air flow issue.

My 65 427 car ran on the hot side of life and always indicated 210ish on a hot day and the gauge was reading about 10* high so I guess I was steady state at about 200F. While I always felt it was running hot it never boiled over.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:17 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by mlauritsen
I have learnt to not trust the previous owner. Cooling system seems to be full of water, not sure he bothered with distilled water, probably just from the tap.

When I picked up the car, he gave me a quick tour, then handed me a bottle of water "just in case" and sent me off, knowing full well that it was prone to overheating, and the alternator (not charging, since replaced) and battery (from 2013, couldn't hold a charge, since replaced) were not OK. The vette died on me in the middle lane of the motorway, during heavy traffic.

So I'm going to approach these issues as if the vette fell from the sky and ignore anything he told me.

Don't mean to moan (I'm sure he did what he could, and the vette+BBC are sweet apart from the problems) just for context and to address any "ask the previous owner" suggestions, which otherwise would have been sound advice.
I have a feeling the rad is clogged with deposits that accumulate in the bottom of the rad and scaling on the tubes. So no matter how much air flows through the rad, the rad has probably lost a third or more of its cooling capacity. Take a look at the few tube ends you can see with the cap off for any scaling.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,068 Likes on 984 Posts

Hey OP, welcome! And I hope you get lots of enjoyment from your 'new' C3.

First, I'm with the other members on the very low likelihood you did anything bad to hurt your engine. And the PO sounds like a schmuck. Now on to the cooling system.

I'm a firm believer that a properly set up and maintained stock cooling system will work no problem - with a little help. And I highly recommend NOT throwing bandaids at this problem. You'll just find the next weak point in the cooling system and you'll constantly be concerned when you go for a drive. Our C3 is a '68 427/435 and it now runs 180 degrees in traffic on 100+ degree days. Here is what I did.
* Replaced the radiator with a DeWitts direct fit. I kept the old one in case anyone down the line wants it. DeWitts isn't cheap, but you'll only wince once.
* Replaced the heater core because it had a slightly loose heater hose pipe, but also because it was over 50 years old and I wanted the cooling system to be completely fresh (and I found a couple of small leaks when I pulled the cover off). You may not have to, but I did.
* Replaced the fan clutch with a rebuilt one made for our engine.
* Ensured that I had the right fan for our car - it was the original. Stay away from flex fans and the like. If the PO replaced the fan with something else, you can get a stock fan in the 'parts for sale' section of this forum.
* Replaced the water pump with a rebuilt unit. And I pulled the back off to ensure it was good, for just the cost of a gasket.
* Make sure you have the correct radiator shroud. If you don't, you can get one in the parts for sale section.
* Ensure you have the radiator and shroud seals in place. All of them. Don't skimp here. The fan can only pull the air thru the radiator if there isn't an easier way around it - kind of like water.
* Replace the stat with a 180 degree one.
* Replaced all the heater and radiator hoses and clamps.
* Put in a 50/50 mix of the good old green Prestone.

If you do the above, and your motor is clean inside and tuned correctly, you'll not have to worry about staying cool. Then you can spend time learning about all the other fun stuff with your C3!!

Show us some pics, keep us informed, and best of luck! Paul

interpon (05-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Overheating in traffic... Should I worry?