C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great service at a Midas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Great service at a Midas!

I took off from work this afternoon to get my car's state inspection, it was my bad luck to show up at my favorite inspection spot to find a state inspector there. He used my car as a demonstration of how to inspect and "OLD CAR." I almost kicked his a-s-s after he said that. Well he and the inspection tech went over the car with a fine toothed comb, finally he told me, "I can't allow it to pass because of exhaust leaks." I asked him where the leaks were so we went down in the pit and marked them with a yellow crayon.
What I thought was sort of wierd, was the "leaks" were in places that I've never touched during my engine work, and had passed inspection the previous two years.
He said get them welded up and I'll allow it to pass. The nearest exhaust shop was a Midas. I pulled up and a young guy said it would be no problem. 15 minutes later and $26.00 dollars poorer I drove off. He welded every connection under the car that could possibly leak, and even called the inspection station and told them, "Pass this damned car, its' exhaust is tighter than a new cars."
I drove back to the inspection station and they slapped a sticker on the car.
I was very impressed by how service oriented the young guy at the Midas was, I had been in before when I was installing my engine and he had provided me with a couple of fiber donuts, and a heat riser spacer for $10.00.
These same parts would have cost me $37.00 from a 'vette parts dealer.
He also gave me a bid on a complete mandril bent 2-1/2" exhaust system from headers back, including 2 Flowmaster 50's and new SS exhaust tips, for $460.00. Is that a good price?
Old 12-13-2002, 07:00 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Great service at a Midas! (Smokehouse69)

You can get it cheaper in Texas (at Garcia's Tire & Muffler shop), but the pipes will turn to rust before you get the car home. Or you can try to install an aftermarket system... :smash:

Go for it! :cheers:

PS: I told 'ya to go for the antique plates!!! :D

[Modified by page62, 6:10 PM 12/13/2002]
Old 12-13-2002, 07:30 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Great service at a Midas! (page62)

That is a better price then I got for mine. Sounds like a good deal
Old 12-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

It is often the person(s), not the company, that often provides quality service. We have seen that in the MAACO threads.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:38 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Great service at a Midas! (page62)

I had a guy at an "backyard" exhaust shop give me a price of $300, with me supplying the mufflers. What I'm really trying to do is convince myself that I don't want Hooker sidepipes. I'm adding up all the costs and trying to convince myself that the standard exhaust is the way to go. :D
I'm not going to go for "Antique Plates" because I want to be able to drive my car anytime and anyplace, without worrying about the local police or hiway patrol questioning me.
Tomorrow looks like it might be the perfect weekend we've been looking for! It's certainly going to work for me to do some serious "break-in" cruising! I managed to get about 60 miles under the engine this afternoon. It sure runs good, but I need to adjust my new vacuum modulator on my transmission. Even though the TH400 has a shift kit in it, since I installed the new modulator I can barely feel the car shifting. I want it to pop my neck again!!
Old 12-13-2002, 11:06 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Great service at a Midas! (paul79)

It is often the person(s), not the company, that often provides quality service. We have seen that in the MAACO threads.
right! I think Midas is a franchise operation, so most are owned by individuals, and the quality of service will largely depend on how those individuals run their business and the people they hire. The one near me was pretty good, but I haven't enough courage to take the vette there! :) MJ
Old 12-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Great service at a Midas! (MNJack)

Oh, don't worry I stood right beside him while he was welding up the "leaks." One of the few shops left that will allow customers on the shop floor while they are working. I even drove the car on and off the lift.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Zane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some good shops out there when you find the right person. I went to Budget Mufflers in Casa Grande AZ and he did a real nice job. I installed the headers and then he did the rest with 2.5" exhaust and flowmaster. He welded the hole thing up and has no clamps and looks great. He was able to tuck the mufflers up where they belong and it just all looks great :thumbs:

[Modified by Zane, 9:27 PM 12/13/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Great service at a Midas!

Quick Reply: Great service at a Midas!