C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3x2 Carb Linkage Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:16 PM
Steve 427
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 3x2 Carb Linkage Adjustment

I know it’s been said to adjust the linkage on the secondaries so it’s closed at idle. What does everyone think of the AIM instructions that say to adjust the rear rod a half hole short before attachment? This would tell me that the rear carburetor throttle plates are partially open as you have to pull them open a half of the circumference of the end of the rod to make it enter.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:39 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

it sounds like they use the rear carb to help the primary carb hold a smooth idle and to help when you snap open or close the throttle. to keep it from stalling.
by doing this they are adding slightly more air and fuel. this helps keep that small primary 2 barrel carb from opening the throttle past it idle circuit.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:04 AM
Steve 427
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOM B1
it sounds like they use the rear carb to help the primary carb hold a smooth idle and to help when you snap open or close the throttle. to keep it from stalling.
by doing this they are adding slightly more air and fuel. this helps keep that small primary 2 barrel carb from opening the throttle past it idle circuit.
It's kind of what I was thinking but found many posts saying to make sure the throttle plates are closed at idle when they AIM seems to be different.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:46 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

The AIM instructions do mention to verify all the carbs are fully closed- the first sentence. The purpose of the rods is to have a positive, mechanical closing of the end carbs. Adjusted per the procedure, the clevis on the center carb should not be bottomed out in the slot.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Steve 427
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3X2
The AIM instructions do mention to verify all the carbs are fully closed- the first sentence. The purpose of the rods is to have a positive, mechanical closing of the end carbs. Adjusted per the procedure, the clevis on the center carb should not be bottomed out in the slot.
I know what you’re saying it says to start out with them both closed. then how I read it is to adjust the rear rod length so it’s half the circumference of the carburetor opening would you tell me you have no choice but to slightly open the butterfly to lineup.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:21 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

I believe that that 'gap' is intended to assure that the rear carb would NOT be opened at idle. (...as should be the case with the front carb, also)
Old 03-06-2021, 06:47 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 427
I know what you’re saying it says to start out with them both closed. then how I read it is to adjust the rear rod length so it’s half the circumference of the carburetor opening would you tell me you have no choice but to slightly open the butterfly to lineup.
that 1/2 hole adjustment raises the clevis pin on the center carb upwards in the curved slot. the carb itself is still closed. I can go look at mine today.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:49 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,377 Likes on 3,955 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I think the confusion is that those rods open the carbs. They are there to close it. As the throttle lever is rotated counterclockwise to the closed position , the clevis in the center bottoms out in the slot and pushes the carbs closed. when the rear carb closes that gives the clevis just enough room to be free in the throttle lever to let the center carb close.

Get notified of new replies

To 3x2 Carb Linkage Adjustment

Quick Reply: 3x2 Carb Linkage Adjustment