C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a Body-On Restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:36 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default What is a Body-On Restoration?

I have seen this expression before but never understood it. My car is relatively clean underneath but there are areas of dirt build-up and the differential does have greasy spots. Minor surface rust on the frame. I was thinking of renting a hoist in the spring, hitting various areas with a good de-greasing compound, hitting the underneath with a power-spray wash and then painting with a good black semi-gloss paint. Is this what that expression means?
Old 12-10-2002, 09:45 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: What is a Body-On Restoration? (paul79)

Another one of those expressions that means whatever you want it to mean. I think it should mean that every part of the car has been restored and everything done short of pulling the body off the frame. But I am sure it can also mean everything between that and what I have heard called a "spraypaint restoration", wherein the engine compartment and undercarriage are treated to large quantities of flat black spraypaint which can temporarily hide many imperfections. :) MJ
Old 12-10-2002, 09:53 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: What is a Body-On Restoration? (MNJack)

I see what you mean. Or others do not mean! I was thinking of a good degreasing, hit with powerspray, hand cleaning of frame with a sturdy wire-brush and then re-painting with a semi-gloss black rust-proofing paint. Very carefully, mind you. Mine is a driver so I just want the underneath not perfect, but very nice.

This is an example. Structurally fine (rear strut) but needs clean-up.

[Modified by paul79, 9:59 PM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that is the term used by married guys so there wives won't suspect how much money they are actually spending :D
Old 12-11-2002, 01:56 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is a Body-On Restoration? (Brett K)

To me it means restoring the car by completely disassembling the car EXCEPT removing the body from the frame.Some people describe it as a Maaco paint job and an oil change. :yesnod: :seeya
Old 12-11-2002, 01:59 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: What is a Body-On Restoration? (paintdaddy)

it means restoring the car by completely disassembling the car EXCEPT removing the body from the frame.
:iagree: 100%
Old 12-11-2002, 05:26 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Think of a restoration as consisting of four major systems...each of which could be a restoration by its own rights:
1. Mechanical (engine)
2. Chassis (suspension & frame)
3. Body (paint
4. Interior.

You could do an engine compartment restoration which is detailing the engine and everything under the hood and if you're ****...you would remove the engine but this can be done with the engine left in place. Essentially, this is a mechanical restoration (everything under the hood).

What you've described is essentially a chassis restoration where you are underneath and will restore frame, suspension, steering linkage, exhaust back to pristine condition...or something like that. Keep in mind not all components are painted and several are left natural which leaves you with the challenge that once the crude is removed...how do you preserve your handiwork?

Full body-off restoration indicates all four areas need major restoration work and you may as well do it right by total disassembly. Not all C3s need this degree of restoration nor do owners have the resources to do such and if so, the investment in restoration may still not command a higher value on the open Corvette market.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:03 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What is a Body-On Restoration? (GDaina)

it means restoring the car by completely disassembling the car EXCEPT removing the body from the frame.

:iagree: 100%
:iagree:
Old 12-11-2002, 12:51 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: What is a Body-On Restoration? (SIGNGUY)

Come on, Paul. I thought you wanted to try and keep your car all original ?

You know - GM fully intended those parts to rust. In fact, they counted on it !!
Planned obsolescense (spelling?), so they can sell you another vette in 10 years.
:D

For the rusty areas, I would seriously consider a small can of POR-15. It
comes in clear, so you could get her cleaned up without the obvious 'custom' look of everything being black.

As far as body-on restoration, I don't think any definition is cast in stone.
Do your best to do what you want. Leave the rest for another time.
:seeya
Old 12-11-2002, 05:46 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: What is a Body-On Restoration? (Daves_rusty_75)

I do have black POR-15 but just the demonstration kit. There is a plate in front of the driver, in the cowl, behind the master cylinder that needed some rust attention. That's were I used it.

Based on the various comments I should have paid more attention to the definition of restoration. But dis-assembling major components without taking the body off makes a lot sense. I guess that I am just intending to do a major "clean-up" underneath ;) .

Get notified of new replies

To What is a Body-On Restoration?

Quick Reply: What is a Body-On Restoration?