C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 1969 windshield trim installation questions. Is Alan 71 out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 04:11 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C3 1969 windshield trim installation questions. Is Alan 71 out there?

Hello,
I am preparing to finally re-assemble my dash and then get a new windshield installed. This is an early 1969 convertible.
I have reviewed some of Alan's posts and his great pictures as well as that 2012 (?) thread that had the pdf of how to install a windshield. All very helpful but being a slow learner I still have a few questions.

1) Regarding the inner and outer reveal trim. I'm confused as to what holes and how many screws go into the windshield frame through the inner molding? The inner molding has five holes yet my frame only appears to have four. And the outer molding only has four.
However it appears that fifth hole (closest to the bottom) has no evidence of having a screw used previously.
Then do the rest of the screws go in from the outer molding? Do they also go through the weatherstrip?

I'll try to ask more questions as I go to help keep this from getting too confusing.

Regards,
Mark

Last edited by marky mark; 01-20-2021 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Alan is out there.
He's just not here.
The following users liked this post:
JBrooke825 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:08 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

ttt.
PS: I am happy for anyone to offer any help.
He's a well respected guru on here as many of us know.
It doesn't have to be Alan 71. I can't light the sky with the' bat signal' to find him (just kidding).
But for anyone familiar with windshield trim I have several questions.
Thanks!
Mark

Last edited by marky mark; 01-13-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:15 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Do you have a Assembly Manual ? They are a lot of help. More pictures to help answer your question would help.
Here's a couple of other items related to the windshield.
https://tech.corvettecentral.com/200...d-replacement/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-install.html

Hope something here helps along the way.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:38 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/seal...-weatherstrip/
The following users liked this post:
mosse (01-21-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:44 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help Caskiguy.
I have previously reviewed one of the links you attached and still am not understanding.
I do have the AIM, but for me anyway, it's difficult to see what to do in this particular area. It's just not broken down enough I guess for the amateurs among us (of which I am one).
An actual picture and description is what I was hoping to find.

My specific questions:

1) What is the correct method to screw on the inner trim to the windshield. Is this done with just the one screw that faces the large opening on the outer trim piece? That seems to be what one of the links say to do but there is no picture.
And then screw down the outer trim piece (that holds the weatherstrip piece) to the windshield frame attaching both trim pieces to the windshield using the other three screw holes? (Having already applied the adhesive strip between these parts prior to the final install).

2) Where is the correct location to apply the butyl sealant (or maybe use body caulk?) on the upper windshield surround trim? I am meaning the large stainless piece that covers both corner surround pieces. Is it put on the actual windshield frame and/or on the undersides of the trim?
In the AIM it shows thickness and location but I am not sure how it would be applied. Do you just run a bead out of a caulk gun and leave it or would you flatten/smooth it with a finger?

3) Then on to the front long piece that snaps onto the top windshield clips once the windshield is installed. How to apply a thin bead of sealant? On which part?
I saw Alan's post with the silver paint that makes it look pretty after it's all done but I am certain I will make a mess of the sealant application without some more details.

4) Back to the stainless top surround piece. Alan install's this after the windshield is in. Yet other info says to do it before the windshield is installed. Does it matter which order you use? I do know the corner surrounds get installed prior to the windshield.

I have searched a lot for these answers and so far haven't found the details I need.

This is for an early 1969 Convertible.

Thanks again for the help.
Mark

Last edited by marky mark; 01-17-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:57 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Caskiguy,

On further review I do see a good pic of the inner and outer trim pieces in one of the links you supplied. Thanks again for your efforts.

So perhaps the inner trim is glued just to the windshield frame and then the outer trim is screwed to the frame. Would that be done without the weatherstrip in place?
So no screws though the weatherstrip? It is just held on with adhesive?
Old 01-17-2021, 02:53 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

How was this 'caulk' applied?
I assume after the trim was installed and then the excess was wiped off?
I know you must use a non water based caulk or sealant.
So what type of caulk or sealant is used?

Old 01-17-2021, 06:27 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Mark I'm not close to my 70 build so I'm unable to help much. But if you search "70 rebuild has begun" on the first page you'll see that Allan responded. Under his name click to see more post by Allan and search through it to hopefully help. Another thought is to join NCRS.ORG for $50 bucks and ask or query there. A lot of knowledge there too.
POST PICTURES relating to your issue.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:22 AM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I have a tube of the sealer that was recommended here a few months ago
and I used it . I will post o pic of the tube I used later in the day.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:24 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Where is Allan? Haven't seen him on here in a while.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:05 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I think that the GM assemblers rarely removed any 'excess' from any caulk/glue/adhesive application work......

After the first full shift of doing nothing but putting caulk on specific areas, one would get rather good at dispensing the correct amount of stuff.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:23 AM
joystick
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marky mark
Hello,
I am preparing to finally re-assemble my dash and then get a new windshield installed. This is an early 1969 convertible.
I have reviewed some of Alan's posts and his great pictures as well as that 2012 (?) thread that had the pdf of how to install a windshield. All very helpful but being a slow learner I still have a few questions.

1) Regarding the inner and outer reveal trim. I'm confused as to what holes and how many screws go into the windshield frame through the inner molding? The inner molding has five holes yet my frame only appears to have four. And the outer molding only has four.
However it appears that fifth hole (closest to the bottom) has no evidence of having a screw used previously.
Then do the rest of the screws go in from the outer molding? Do they also go through the weatherstrip?

I'll try to ask more questions as I go to help keep this from getting too confusing.

Regards,
Mark
Hi. Any chance you/anyone can provide a link for Alan71’s posts and especially the pdf on windshield install. I’ve seached the forum but can’t find anything.
Thanks a lot.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:34 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Maybe this will help

Old 01-19-2021, 04:46 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

JBrooke825, very nice photo and very helpful!

May I also ask what product you used installing the two upper corner surrounds and the long stainless piece that connects the two corner pieces?
Did you put the item used on the trim or on the windshield frame (or perhaps both)?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2021, 04:52 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Joystick,
Here is a link to most of Alan's pictures in another thread.
I'll try and find the pdf.
Thanks

​​​​​​https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...therstrip.html
Old 01-19-2021, 05:01 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Joystick,
See if this opens for you. This is the pdf that was mentioned.
This one is a great source if doing your own windshield install.
The only thing is it doesn't really offer up much detail as far as the trim screws and sealant, etc.

Attached Images

Get notified of new replies

To C3 1969 windshield trim installation questions. Is Alan 71 out there?

Old 01-19-2021, 05:41 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

caskiguy,
I am posting your link for folks to review. That was a lot of work!
I have, in the past, been an NCRS member but I did not really take advantage of their knowledge too much.
Maybe I will try again as I'm ready to button up my multi-year on again/off again project.
Thanks again!

​​​​​​https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-begun-3.html
Old 01-19-2021, 05:57 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

It appears that 3M caulk strips (as a substitute for the factory 'dum-dum' caulk?) are the go to product under the windshield ss header and corner trim.

My one question about where and how to screw in the a-pillar ss trim has still got me confused.
Any takers to answer this one:
​​​​​​1) What is the correct method to screw on the inner trim to the windshield? Is this done with just the one screw that faces the large opening on the outer trim piece? That seems to be what one of the links say to do but there is no picture.
And then screw down the outer trim piece (that holds the weatherstrip piece) to the windshield frame attaching both trim pieces to the windshield using the other three screw holes? (Having already applied the adhesive strip between these parts prior to the final install).

*Also, the first piece of trim (the reveal that will touch the glass) must use a glue(?) or maybe body caulk(?) on the side that runs along the backside of the a=pillar? Is that correct?

And to be clear, I am sensing that you do not screw in through the a-pillar weatherstrip.
If I understand correctly, to remove the trim you would find the screw heads deep in the weatherstrip. And unscrew through the weatherstrip to remove the trim Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 01-19-2021, 07:14 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Yes.

Quick Reply: C3 1969 windshield trim installation questions. Is Alan 71 out there?