C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Rotor Runout Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 10:38 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need Rotor Runout Help

I just changed the front rotors on my 72. In checking the runout, I come up with 34 thousandths on the drivers side and 5 thousandths on the passenger side. Even after clocking the drivers rotor 180 degress, it still comes up about the same. Can I turn the rotor to correct this much runout or do I need to try and exchange for a replacement rotor. If it can correct by having it turned, should I also turn the passenger side?
Old 11-29-2020, 10:39 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Originally Posted by asianlimodriver
I just changed the front rotors on my 72. In checking the runout, I come up with 34 thousandths on the drivers side and 5 thousandths on the passenger side. Even after clocking the drivers rotor 180 degress, it still comes up about the same. Can I turn the rotor to correct this much runout or do I need to try and exchange for a replacement rotor. If it can correct by having it turned, should I also turn the passenger side?
Tried to attach video, but for some reason I can't.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

The amount of runout was the same....was the 'direction' (+/-) of the runout the same? Flipping the rotor around 180* and keeping the indicator at the same location might find the same amount of runout, but in reverse. Check it again and note the direction of the indicator swing.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:12 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The amount of runout was the same....was the 'direction' (+/-) of the runout the same? Flipping the rotor around 180* and keeping the indicator at the same location might find the same amount of runout, but in reverse. Check it again and note the direction of the indicator swing.
Not in the garage at the moment, but it appears that the needle moved in the same direction after rotating the rotor 180 degrees. That seems to be quite a but for a brand new rotor. I just got off the phone with Amazon and they are sending me a new replacement rotor even though I'm outside the return window. I should get the replacement on Wednesday. As for the rotor with 5 thousandths, how would you recommend correcting it? Having it turned or shim it?
Old 11-30-2020, 01:27 AM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

First and foremost let’s check somethings.

1. Do we have lug nuts or nuts at least on two of the studs? Some folks swear you have to have 5 on torqued to spec but it shouldn’t really matter in this case because your way out.
2. The quality control of anything for these cars is pretty suspect anymore. Are you sure the rotor is fully seating on the hub?
3. Is the hub rust free around the hub and wheel studs? A rust build up on the hub (or rotor) can cause rust jacking and throw everything off. Gotta have it clean.
4. Are you perhaps seeing wheel bearing endplay as well? .001-.005” is normal endplay on the wheel bearing. Make sure you aren’t changing your measurements by accident by pushing or pulling the hub in/out while checking. Check your endplay, maybe that’s where your seeing all this runout.

Recheck yourself and make notes/magic marker markings to determine where the high spots are and if it’s in the rotor or in the hub if you truly have that much runout. If everything is right and it does have runout and it follows the rotor as you index it then you know it’s the rotor. If it follows the hub position then you know that too.

As for the rotor with .005 I’d index it a couple of times and see if you can cancel it out. If you’ve done that a .003 shim kit should get you straightened out.

Last edited by kossuth; 11-30-2020 at 01:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kossuth:
interpon (11-30-2020), Peterbuilt (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:58 AM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Originally Posted by kossuth
First and foremost let’s check somethings.

1. Do we have lug nuts or nuts at least on two of the studs? Some folks swear you have to have 5 on torqued to spec but it shouldn’t really matter in this case because your way out.
2. The quality control of anything for these cars is pretty suspect anymore. Are you sure the rotor is fully seating on the hub?
3. Is the hub rust free around the hub and wheel studs? A rust build up on the hub (or rotor) can cause rust jacking and throw everything off. Gotta have it clean.
4. Are you perhaps seeing wheel bearing endplay as well? .001-.005” is normal endplay on the wheel bearing. Make sure you aren’t changing your measurements by accident by pushing or pulling the hub in/out while checking. Check your endplay, maybe that’s where your seeing all this runout.

Recheck yourself and make notes/magic marker markings to determine where the high spots are and if it’s in the rotor or in the hub if you truly have that much runout. If everything is right and it does have runout and it follows the rotor as you index it then you know it’s the rotor. If it follows the hub position then you know that too.

As for the rotor with .005 I’d index it a couple of times and see if you can cancel it out. If you’ve done that a .003 shim kit should get you straightened out.
I just drilled out the old rotors and replaced with new ACDelco rotors. Cleaned the hubs with wire wheel. From the naked eye, it looks like it’s the rotor. Clocked the rotor 180 degrees and the runout may be in the same position. I’ll double check and see if there is any build up on the hub in that spot.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

If you can minimize the .005" runout on the 'good' rotor by re-positioning it, then do so. A .005" runout reading is really very acceptable.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:45 AM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but how exactly is runout measured?

Is runout the total "play" between the highest spot on the rotor to the lowest spot or is half that value (i.e. from a mid-point on the rotor + value to high point or - value to low point)?

For example, my new TA's from VanSteel had the rotors preinstalled & aligned but my measurements showed a difference of .0035" between the absolute high spot to the absolute low spot on the rotors. Is that OK?

Additionally, now that I think of it, that was measured with the rotors in a horizontal position. Should I recheck it with them in a vertical position like they'd be when mounted on the car?

NEVERMIND - Gary R graciously answered my questions via an e-mail concerning my steering box rebuild he's going to do. He confirmed that runout is the total difference from high spot to low and while he measures in the vertical position, it can also be done horizontally. I thought that was the case, but just wanted to be sure. I'm learning soooo much!

Thanks,
paul

Last edited by nwav8tor; 12-01-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Nosheruk
Advanced

If you have switched your rotor 180 deg and the runout is the same then i suggest your rotor is good.
Your runout is probably from the hub.
Remove the rotor and check your wheel bearing is good and adjusted correctly first, then check the hub for runout.

regards

Norman

Last edited by Nosheruk; 12-04-2020 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Need Rotor Runout Help

Quick Reply: Need Rotor Runout Help