C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 11:19 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer??

It's a 1980 NON-CA car. (Which means it's a 350 4-speed L48) It's the Dark Claret. The odometer reads 94k, but the guy just had the motor rebuilt. (Just used stock replacement stuff) It's got upgraded suspension (Vette Brakes and products, I assume) Rebuilt Rearend. (He said he thought it had 3.75 gears) The only real MODS it has are an Edelbrock Performer Carb/Intake. I was going to offer the guy $2500...is this WAAY off, or what? Being that the motor was rebuilt, I assume that it's been drove hard (especially after only 94k miles!) and also he said it has a dead-short somewhere, that he CAN'T find. (Doesn't matter to me really, as this car would get stripped out and turned into a race car.) If I could swing this deal for $2500..then I would surely have a shark :D :cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 12:17 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (TIMSPEED)

$2,500.00 is very low if the car is in driving condition...especially if it's a 4 speed.........However you'll never know unless you make the offer...I usually don't call it an offer.....I usually say all I have is $2,500.00 here's my phone number....and a quarter for the phone call....make the call if you want your name on the check......Good luck on your purchase of one of the most sexiest cars in the world.....THE C-3.....No other car causes tourist from every corner of the world jumping off curbings to take pictures.....That's a Fact Jack.... :seeya Cappy
Old 12-03-2002, 12:33 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

If you get it for that then you got a steal. I actually think the '80 Vette was the best looking style from '74 on out. It's the year that GM finally figured out that they screwed up the C-3's and gave it back the shark rear end with a nice looking interior and ride.

Just my view of course.... I'm about 99% right 99% of the time I am not wrong.

:cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 07:51 AM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (bgrice)

If you get it for that then you got a steal. I actually think the '80 Vette was the best looking style from '74 on out. It's the year that GM finally figured out that they screwed up the C-3's and gave it back the shark rear end with a nice looking interior and ride.
:iagree:
Old 12-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say anything about body, paint, interior, or driveline condition. At 94K miles and 23 years, it almost certainly needs work on brakes, bushings, steering linkage, and perhaps rear bearings. Still, if it is just average in all of those areas, it's worth at least $5K. 4-speed '80's have resale.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:50 AM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

Depending on the overall condidtion of the car, I wouldn't be AT LEAST bit suprised to see the asking price alot higher, closer to 10,000 or more.

Don't let the miles and re-built throw you, alot of owners rebuild just because of overall age of the car.

I don't want to offend anyone here in the forum, but sometimes the prices given are a little low. Mostly because your getting prices of what they would pay, not what the market is currently asking or actually demanding.

Look here: http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com
Run a search, hopefully you'll find a compairable Vette to base your asking price.

With that said, I hope you do get it for $2500. That leaves plenty of cash for later. Good Luck, and may the "VETTE-GODS" be with you. :cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 11:01 AM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer??

TIMSPEED....

I ran a search for you, looking at 80 - 82, 4-speeds.

Out of 28 Vettes, only 10 were under 10k, (4 of those were 9k)
and the lowest priced one was 6k.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:27 AM
junkyardkid
Advanced

the market is very hard to figure out. here on the treasure coast, i can't find a buyer for my 79 at 10 grand. i have at least that much into it, the so called local experts have tried to beat me down, but i've held fast. there is some junk out there, mostly in the 5000 range. every one is looking for a deal. there are not a lot of vettes out there. be happy when you find one.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:48 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (Gator81)

You didn't say anything about body, paint, interior, or driveline condition. At 94K miles and 23 years, it almost certainly needs work on brakes, bushings, steering linkage, and perhaps rear bearings. Still, if it is just average in all of those areas, it's worth at least $5K. 4-speed '80's have resale.
:iagree:

If it's complete, runs and drives, but needs work, it's worth at least $4k. $2500 would be a steal. All of them I've seen in decent condition are going for more like $9-10k. Maybe I paid too much, but I paid $12k for mine, but it was original and immaculate.

[Modified by The_Dude, 8:51 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (The_Dude)

Well, he didn't mention anything about the brakes, so I assume they're going to need attention. He said he put new interior in it, because when he got it, it was rotted. He also said there's a dead short that he couldn't fix. (and he's an electrician!) I'll go look at it today..if it's in DECENT shape..I may offer $4k. (Because I also think that the 80 is the sexiest car made!) I was considering..they make smog legal headers for it, so with a few other choice parts, I beleive I could get it into the 12's... :reddevil We shall see..from the sound of him, I don't think he'll want to let it go for less than $7k..but then again, I paid $7k for my 87, and it was 100% factory, 87k miles, from the ORIGINAL owner with EVERY SINGLE RECIEPT!
EDIT: I just did a Edmunds True Market Value price check, and for the mileage, I put in 20k (because he said ALOT of stuff has been rebuilt/replaced) and the number THAT gave me (Yeah right, like you could even really ever find an ORIGINAL 20k miled 80 Corvette) was $2133...SOOO, I'll take that, and I'll offer him $2500, and give him my number. (Like someone else suggested) if he really wants to sell it, and he wants to make sure it gets a good home (that's what he said, he wants to make sure it goes to a fellow corvette enthusiast) then he'll sell it to me. :D Hope so!

[Modified by TIMSPEED, 9:18 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 12:49 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Those Edmunds prices are a dream. :rolleyes: This link is probably a bit more realistic.
http://www.btsnet.com.pl/corvette/Ceny/epgS97tabl4.htm
Good luck. :thumbs:
Old 12-03-2002, 12:51 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Well, he didn't mention anything about the brakes, so I assume they're going to need attention. He said he put new interior in it, because when he got it, it was rotted. He also said there's a dead short that he couldn't fix. (and he's an electrician!) I'll go look at it today..if it's in DECENT shape..I may offer $4k. (Because I also think that the 80 is the sexiest car made!) I was considering..they make smog legal headers for it, so with a few other choice parts, I beleive I could get it into the 12's... :reddevil We shall see..from the sound of him, I don't think he'll want to let it go for less than $7k..but then again, I paid $7k for my 87, and it was 100% factory, 87k miles, from the ORIGINAL owner with EVERY SINGLE RECIEPT!
EDIT: I just did a Edmunds True Market Value price check, and for the mileage, I put in 20k (because he said ALOT of stuff has been rebuilt/replaced) and the number THAT gave me (Yeah right, like you could even really ever find an ORIGINAL 20k miled 80 Corvette) was $2133...SOOO, I'll take that, and I'll offer him $2500, and give him my number. (Like someone else suggested) if he really wants to sell it, and he wants to make sure it gets a good home (that's what he said, he wants to make sure it goes to a fellow corvette enthusiast) then he'll sell it to me. :D Hope so!

[Modified by TIMSPEED, 9:18 AM 12/3/2002]
The min. for that car should be 7-8K, since it is a 4 speed, add 1 more K to the pile.
In Arizona, a good / fair condition 1980 4 speed will sell at 11-13K private person or about 13-14K at a dealer. The fact that you paid so little for your C4 is because the value on them is in the toilet. You can buy a 84-87 C4 for 1/2 the price of a good 1980.
This place is always a little high, but look at the prices and you will get the idea. http://www.cnv-corvettes.com

By the way, if somone offered me $2500 or even less than $9,000 for mine, I would laugh and hang up the phone.

Also --- don't look at that Edmunds crap -- there is no way on this earth you are going to get a good condition 20K mileage 1980 CORvette for $2300. Maybe $12,300 but for a 20K mile car that is even low -- $14,300 or more is closer to the truth. Maybe a CHEVette.

Here is the listing from NADA guide.

--------------------------------------------------------------
1980 CORVETTE
Model: 2 DOOR COUPE
Weight: 3,206
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $13,965
Low Retail: $7,025
Average Retail: $12,650
High Retail: $17,500
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional Equipment
Add-4 Speed Transmission: Low: $1,000 Avg.: $1,250 High: $1,500
Add-Corvette Alloy Wheels: Low: $350 Avg.: $400 High: $500
Add-Corvette Glass Roof: Low: $275 Avg.: $375 High: $450
Add-Factory Air Conditioning: 10 %
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals
Total Low Retail: $9,353
Total Average Retail: $15,940
Total High Retail: $21,700

--------------------------------------------------

(By the way, a 1980 Chevette lists for $1,000 to $3200.)

Good luck -- I hope you can get it for $7K, but be prepared to be yelled at for a $2500 offer.

[Modified by BSeery, 10:53 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 01:21 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (BSeery)

Yeah..but if I show him Edmunds..then maybe I can get it for $2500. :D
Old 12-03-2002, 02:15 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Even with its "issues" it is worth way more than $2,500. Some people have been SHOT for offering too little for a car, :smash: :lol: so be careful. :lol: :cheers:

I currently have my 80 up for sale, just in used parts its worth more than 2k.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:21 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (71,454,4spd)

Yeah...but a friend of mine just got a CLEAN 91 Vert 6-speed, for $4500...so..stranger things HAVE happened..hopefully I'll get lucky, and join the shark crowd. (Originally wanted a shark!)
Old 12-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (The_Dude)

Well....based on the link The Dude suggested my vette should be worth around $10,575. I'll make sure to tell the wife I made a $3,500 profit since I got mine for 7k :lol: . Heck even if I knock off a grand for the higher mileage I still made out. By the way Dude, I love your vette...it looks like the twin to mine.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:40 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (Fasteighty)

The Dude,
Your car is SWEET! I KNOW that 80 doesn't look that good. The guy said HE bought it for $2800 and it was a POS. He rebuilt/replaced most of the stuff on it. (Although, he didn't do a body-off, so it's not worth much more, ya know?) I KNOW he's gonna laugh at $2500..but honestly, he WON'T sell it for much more than that around HERE (NO ONE buy's old vettes around here) So..we'll see..He told me himself "If you're looking for a collector car, or a show car, this isn't it. It's not garbage, it's just a nice driveable vette." He said he's wants to get it out of the garage, in order to start a replica shelby cobra. (Which I told him a friend just built, and it was around $60k, and he said "SHOOT! I was hoping to do it for about $25k less than that.") I'll snap some pictures of it tonight...

Get notified of new replies

To 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer??

Old 12-03-2002, 03:04 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

The Dude,
Your car is SWEET! I KNOW that 80 doesn't look that good. The guy said HE bought it for $2800 and it was a POS. He rebuilt/replaced most of the stuff on it. (Although, he didn't do a body-off, so it's not worth much more, ya know?) I KNOW he's gonna laugh at $2500..but honestly, he WON'T sell it for much more than that around HERE (NO ONE buy's old vettes around here) So..we'll see..He told me himself "If you're looking for a collector car, or a show car, this isn't it. It's not garbage, it's just a nice driveable vette." He said he's wants to get it out of the garage, in order to start a replica shelby cobra. (Which I told him a friend just built, and it was around $60k, and he said "SHOOT! I was hoping to do it for about $25k less than that.") I'll snap some pictures of it tonight...
He can build a shelby replica for less than $60k. A friend of mine is considering building those cars to sell. I can't say what he paid for his, but he drove it home for less than $30k.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:57 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

I paid $4000 for mine and it is in good shape. Interior needs help, but other than that, I felt I got a steal for a running (strong) Vette. :iagree: that $2500 is probably WAY to low of a bid, but what the heck, what's the worse he/she could say....No? Good luck. :flag
Old 12-03-2002, 11:10 PM
ice pac
Instructor

Default Re: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer?? (greatgonzoglenn)

I got my 81 for 2k. It runs strong but needed interior. Paint wasn't horrible but its getting replaced anyway. Mine has around 83k miles. I think I got a steal. It did take some fast talking though :D

Quick Reply: 80 Corvette For Sale: What should I offer??