C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 AC questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 11:13 PM
avgjoe
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 81 AC questions

I recently purchased my 81 and the AC compressor was unplugged and the previous owner said he unplugged it because it was making noise. I wanted to convert to R134 so I took the compressor off and drained the oil and replaced it with the oil in the conversion kit. I replaced the seals, changed the fittings, drew a vacuum on the system, and charged it and all seemed well. I took it on a road trip and everything seemed to work fine. The next time I drove it I noticed a noise when the compressor cycled off and I discovered two things.

1. When the compressor cycles off the clutch does not disengage all the way and it drags creating the noise I heard. If I disconnect the compressor the clutch will disengage as it should. I'm not sure where to start. The clutch must still be getting some voltage that keeps it partially engaged?

2. I also discovered that the AC stays on all the time, even when I turn it off. When I turn it off the blower turns off but the compressor does not disengage. Any ideas?

I have not gotten a shop manual yet so I don't really understand exactly how the system works. I suspect I have two separate issues or could they be related? Any thoughts?

Joe
Old 09-04-2020, 10:39 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,556 Posts

if off no voltage and clutch still on? verify..bad clutch..

also you should flush and change oil so all components have correct kind and amount of oil..

now 134 cheap enough to re-do..

did you change orifice screen? or check it?

if you did NOT replace compressor.. you can change clutch but i would consider replacing compressor after flush and oil change correctly.. you can get lifetime warrranty NAPA if you show proof of flush etc..and accumulator change (you should change accumulator a real PITA job)

Last edited by interpon; 09-04-2020 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
avgjoe (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 03:35 PM
avgjoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by interpon
if off no voltage and clutch still on? verify..bad clutch..

also you should flush and change oil so all components have correct kind and amount of oil..

now 134 cheap enough to re-do..

did you change orifice screen? or check it?

if you did NOT replace compressor.. you can change clutch but i would consider replacing compressor after flush and oil change correctly.. you can get lifetime warrranty NAPA if you show proof of flush etc..and accumulator change (you should change accumulator a real PITA job)
I replaced the orifice but nothing else. I did the same on my 88 and it worked for the 12 years I had it so I'm hoping of the same results here. As far as the clutch goes when I unplug the compressor the clutch fully disengages so I don't think it is the clutch itself.
interpon (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 08:32 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by avgjoe
I replaced the orifice but nothing else. I did the same on my 88 and it worked for the 12 years I had it so I'm hoping of the same results here. As far as the clutch goes when I unplug the compressor the clutch fully disengages so I don't think it is the clutch itself.
makes sense..if it was dry no mineral oil left...accumulator may get gummed up..
so the focus is voltage to clutch...

sounds silly but make sure the belt is tight and not slipping with clutch engaged...really tight and check condition of belt cogs etc

Last edited by interpon; 09-05-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Yadkin
Race Director

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

You can buy a new R4 compressor, orifice and accumulator at Rock Auto in a kit for just over two bills. It takes PAC 150 oil.

The accumulator is easy to get to once you take off the fake brake vent cover. It's held on with torx screws.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:30 PM
avgjoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by interpon
sounds silly but make sure the belt is tight and not slipping with clutch engaged...really tight and check condition of belt cogs etc
I actually just replaced the belt because it was noisy. It was old and glazed over. The new belt is nice and quiet but this did not change my issue. I haven't had time to dig in and do some more testing voltage and trace things yet. Hope to do it soon.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:46 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I actually just replaced the belt because it was noisy. It was old and glazed over. The new belt is nice and quiet but this did not change my issue. I haven't had time to dig in and do some more testing voltage and trace things yet. Hope to do it soon.
then triple check tension..the new one will stretch
Old 09-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Yadkin
You can buy a new R4 compressor, orifice and accumulator at Rock Auto in a kit for just over two bills. It takes PAC 150 oil.

The accumulator is easy to get to once you take off the fake brake vent cover. It's held on with torx screws.
The accumulator on my '81 was a bitch to get in and out. Just sayin'
Craig
Old 10-06-2020, 10:41 PM
avgjoe
Instructor

Default More information

So I had a little time to do some more checking and I got a FSM which is helping.

The first issue of the clutch not fully disengaging when the compressor cycles, via the pressure switch, seems to have righted itself after some use. When it cycles off, the voltage at the clutch goes to 0 and the clutch fully disengages as it should.

The second issue continues to be a problem which is that the compressor does not turn off with the switch inside. When I slide the inside switch to off, vent, or heat the voltage at the compressor clutch drops from 12V to 3.5V but it is enough to keep the clutch fully engaged. In short, I cannot turn off the AC compressor unless I unplug it. The fan does go to low speed as it should when I slide the switch to off.

I have attached a wiring diagram and there is a compressor control switch shown but I have no idea where it is located. Does anybody know? I'm guessing it may have a bad connection or be faulty? I suppose it could also be the selector switch?

Where is this switch located?

In this position I still have 3.5V going to the compressor clutch

Last edited by avgjoe; 10-06-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:59 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmm..
check wires for taps or hacks? Grounds?
switch itself inspection?
remove wire from compressor and check again for backfeeding somehow?

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/bl...roubleshooting
avgjoe (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Yadkin
Race Director

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

The second issue continues to be a problem which is that the compressor does not turn off with the switch inside. When I slide the inside switch to off, vent, or heat the voltage at the compressor clutch drops from 12V to 3.5V but it is enough to keep the clutch fully engaged. In short, I cannot turn off the AC compressor unless I unplug it. The fan does go to low speed as it should when I slide the switch to off.

I have attached a wiring diagram and there is a compressor control switch shown but I have no idea where it is located. Does anybody know? I'm guessing it may have a bad connection or be faulty? I suppose it could also be the selector switch?

Where is this switch located?

In this position I still have 3.5V going to the compressor clutch
The diagram on page 1B-3 looks like a relay (switch) is buried in the dash. But...

Look on page 8A-68 of that same manual that shows no switch (relay?). The wiring on my car matches up with this second diagram. This has the entire 3.2 amps of he clutch controlled by both switches and no relays.

I'm guessing that your dash slide switch needs to be disassembled and cleaned.
avgjoe (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 12:52 PM
avgjoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yadkin
The diagram on page 1B-3 looks like a relay (switch) is buried in the dash. But...

Look on page 8A-68 of that same manual that shows no switch (relay?). The wiring on my car matches up with this second diagram. This has the entire 3.2 amps of he clutch controlled by both switches and no relays.

I'm guessing that your dash slide switch needs to be disassembled and cleaned.
So I know it's been a minute since I posted about this issue but I finally got in there and disassembled and cleaned the dash slide switch and it seems to be fixed! Thank you for all your suggestions. It will be nice having this working correctly again.
The following 2 users liked this post by avgjoe:
cloudshe (05-08-2023), interpon (05-03-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To 81 AC questions

Quick Reply: 81 AC questions