C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for Enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 04:07 PM
oldmanvette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for Enthusiasts

I am new to this forum, and I have a lot of questions. I have always been obsessed with C3 vettes, and it is my dream to own one. After reading some posts I've realized how much people know about C3's and how little I know. Could anyone please write in giving an overview about the C3, some important facts, and explain some of the basic components(like the engine) to me. Thank you
Old 12-01-2002, 04:27 PM
randy814u
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Questions for Enthusiasts (oldmanvette)

I don't know that much about them either, and I like what I pickup on in here.
If I was you I would get yourself a corvette black book. Lots of info on each year. :seeya
Old 12-01-2002, 05:11 PM
oldmanvette
Cruising

Default Re: Questions for Enthusiasts (randy814u)

Does the black book just list the info or does it explain it and go into depth?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:12 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Questions for Enthusiasts (randy814u)

Blackbook is a good resource - one of the charts in the book shows Corvette production by year. Generally, the highest production years are the least expensive cars to buy.

Find the body style that you like and buy the BEST one you can afford. The Forum Archives is a great tool - access that with the "search" link under Forums on the left side of the screen.

Monitor this forum for a while, common problems will show up. Rust is a problem with some cars and is $$ to repair. Common rust points are the frame ahead of the trailing arms, the windshield frame, and the radiator mounting bracket. The good news is these cars are very popular so there is a large aftermarket that can supply just about everything.

You also need to decide how your car will be used: daily driver, weekends only, custom show car, NCRS stock, racing, etc. This decision will impact your restoration costs and your choice of engines, transmissions, ...
This decision may also influence your choice of year. For example: 1974 was the last of the stock Big Block cars (427/454), 1980 (except for the 305 ci California cars) were the last of the non-computer controlled cars.

Internally these cars are very similar year-to-year. If you want to put a big block 427 ci motor with 4 speed transmission, in your 1982 you can do it, even though the 1982 only came from the factory with a 350 ci and automatic.

Most of these cars are pretty straight forward to work on. Doing restoration work yourself will save $$$.

Take your time and look at lots of cars, you'll find the right one.
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

First determine how much money U want to spend on a shark. Do U want a chrome bumper car or a rubber bumper car? fast back window or the flat back window? The chrome sharks are more expensive. Do you want a big block? They are extremely fast but get a lot less mileage( 8 -12mph).
Are U mechanical or have any friends who are? The 75 and later sharks are all hampered by stock emmissions crap which hampered their horsepower. If U want U could pick up a very clean 75 or later car and depending on the emmissions laws in your state, build the cars engine up to much higher horsepower levels by removing said emmissions gear and/or adding bolt-ons for power. I have true dual exhuast and an edelbrock manifold and thats all i needed to make the car fun to drive( mid 15's in the 1/4 mile but the previous owner claims a 14.9 best). However, a cam and new heads will give me that over-the-top "true Corvette" performance that the cars looks demand.
Just figure out how much U want to spend, then choose a body style. Next decide what level and type of performance U want from your shark and go for it!!!
randy814u
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No not to much depth, but lots of info. From there you can pickup the rest on here. reading posts, or searching archives. :seeya
Old 12-01-2002, 05:21 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im pretty sure that if you ask the first 10 people wich body style comes to mind when you ask about the Corvette. They will say 'stingray' or the coke bottle shaped vette. This body style ran from 1968-1982 and is the longest running body style since the Corvette's inception in 1953. Its chasssis had been in use since 1963. the 1968 corvette did not have the 'stingray' script on its fenders. The 'stingray' script appeared as one word on the 1969 model year perhaps to avoid confusion with the 'sting ray' (written as two words for the 1963-67 body style. The corvette in this generation was powered by engine displacements described as small block(SB) or big block(BB) Small block engines have displacements of 327cubic inches to 350 cubic inches. Big block engines have displacements from 427 cubic inches to 454 cubic inches.
In 68 small block engines were 327 cubic inches with 350hp output and three versions of the 427 with power outputs ranging from 390hp to 435hp. They also had a virtual racecar engine designated the L-88 which had an output of 500hp but chevy advertised this engine at 435hp to discourage the average driver from purchasing it. It is a highly sought out engine option for the Corvette enthusiast. The 69 model had the small block engine punched out to 350ci. It had power putputs from 350hp, and 300hp, the 327 was also offered. BB engines ranged from 395hp-435hp and the L-88 engine.
During this model year Chevy produced the aluminun block ZL-1 which is the aluminum version of the L-88 engine and also had an output of 500+hp. Only two corvettes exist with this engine option. In 1970 the corvette had produced a SB engine rated at 370hp and was designated the LT-1.
Both of the high output engines in the SB family and the BB family had solid lifters, transistorized ignition and are easily identified by the characteristic hood bulge. The BB family of engines of the 68 and 69 model years sported this hood bulge. The SB LT-1 also sported this hood bulge likes its BB brother and also had solid lifters and the transisterized ignition. During the 70 model year the base SB engine put out 300hp and another version put out 350hp. The LT-1 engine corvette is identified externally with a decal that outlines the hood bulge and has the letters LT-1 on it. The BB engine of the 70 model year was punched out to 454 cubic inches. The SB LT-1 engine was in production from 1970 to 1972 with the 70 engine leading with 370hp, 71 engine 330hp and the 72, 295hp. From 1972 on, engine power had taken a beating due to the emissions laws the goverment put in place. The 68-72 Corvette also had chrome bumpers at the front and rear of the vehicle thus they are called 'chrome bumper vettes' and are largely sought by enthusiasts to to this destinction of looks and performance. The corvettes in this series also had egg crate pattern grilles from 68-72. The side louvers on the 70-72 vehicle were done in the egg crate pattern. In 1973 the goverment put into law a 5mph crash rule and the chrome bumper disappeared from the front of the Corvette but remained on the rear. Chevy offered two versions of it's small block engines. The performance engine was designated the L-82 replacing the now deleted solid lifter LT-1. Its BB brethern was still 454ci but horsepower decreased dramatically. In 74 the chrome bumpers in the rear disappeared. 1974 also marked the end of the big block engine. In 1975 the convertible(which was offered as an option since 1968) made it's last appearance. 1976 corvettes had a steel plated floor pan to help dissipate heat from the enging/drivetrain. This was also the last year for the 'stingray' script on the fenders-supposedly. Early 77 vettes had the stingray script but was replaced with a pair of crossed flags. 78 vettes had a redesigned interior with a real glove box-a sorely needed item and the fastback glass giving the vehicle a feeling of roominess. Chevy offered a 25th anniversary edition of the corvette and it was the pace car for the Indy 500.
There were really no major changes to the corvette in 1979 however more corvettes were sold in 1979 than anyother year previously( the 1992 model year tied this record) In 1980 the corvettes weight was reduced a few pounds by raking the grill slightly backward giving the car a drag cofficient of 84 (I believe this is correct) the speedo only read 85mph(the speedo read 140 in 1978-79 and 160 from 68-77) The 81 corvette had introduced a fiberglass rear leaf spring and the introduction of computer control. The 82 vette was the most expensive of all vehicles form this generation with the introduction of the vaunted 'crossfire injection'. The collectors edition of the 82 model year featured a 'hatchback' rear glass in which the rear glass opened like a hatch back. I hope this helps you a little and Im sure that if theres anything I have left out someone will either add to or correct me if Im wrong on some of the above information. :yesnod:

[Modified by Oldguard 7, 11:51 PM 12/1/2002]
Old 12-01-2002, 07:11 PM
oldmanvette
Cruising

Default Re: Questions for Enthusiasts

Thank you for everything all of you have posted. I think I have learned more about the C3 by reading your posts than I have learned my whole life.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To learn more and and know what to look for in a vette before you buy, go to:
http://www.corvettefaq.com

Lots of great info! :cheers:
Old 12-01-2002, 07:35 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Questions for Enthusiasts (Oldguard 7)

The corvette in this generation .... Small block engines have displacements of 327cubic inches to 350 cubic inches. Big block engines have displacements from 427 cubic inches to 454 cubic inches.

The 69 model had the small block engine punched out to 350ci...
The BB engine of the 70 model year was punched out to 454 cubic inches.
...In 1980 the corvettes weight was reduced a few pounds by raking the grill slightly backward giving the car a drag cofficient of 84 (I believe this is correct)
Im sure that if theres anything I have left out someone will either add to or correct me if Im wrong on some of the above information. :yesnod:
Oldguard 7

Very good. :cheers: Here's some for you.
punched means bored so should be:
...small block engine stroked to 350ci ...
BB engine of the 70 model year was stroked to 454 cubic inches. ...

CD would be close if reversed.

:cool:
Old 12-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This is an excellent reference book for reading during the winter; or at any time for that matter ;) . I use it frequently.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...sbn=0760306575
Old 12-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some corrections:

They also had a virtual racecar engine designated the L-88 which had an output of 500hp but chevy advertised this engine at 435hp to discourage the average driver from purchasing it. It is a highly sought out engine option for the Corvette enthusiast. The 69 model had the small block engine punched out to 350ci. It had power putputs from 350hp, and 300hp, the 327 was also offered.
The L88 was rated at 430hp to force consumers to choose the L71 at 435hp. In reality, the L88's hp was at ~4500rpm, way shy of its 500-550 peak at much higher rpm. The 327 was last offered in 1968.

The BB family of engines of the 68 and 69 model years sported this hood bulge.
68-72 had the same BB hoods.

The corvettes in this series also had egg crate pattern grilles from 68-72.
Actually, the 68s & 69s had 'shark gills' but you are correct that 1970 introduced the 'eggcrate' pattern.

Otherwise, great summary! :cheers:
Old 12-02-2002, 02:59 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oldgaurd 7,

Man, what a great dissertation! You should get some extra post points or something for the thorough job you did with your reply. :thumbs:

Welcome to the Forum :cheers:

Chuck
Old 12-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Questions for Enthusiasts (Marks69BB)

That is why I included that last 'catch all' statment. I was at work while I typed that and that was pretty good taking that info off the top my my head. I know I will have great guys to help out if I made any mistakes. Thanx :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Questions for Enthusiasts

Quick Reply: Questions for Enthusiasts