C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 01:30 PM
DaddyO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow?

I'm finally putting my top frame on my car - the weatherstrip is pretty self explanitory, however, I can't figure how to get the weatherstrip in the rear bow to stay without using glue.

There is no fabric on the top frame now. My plan is to put the weatherstripping on (without glue) to get my window alignments perfect, and then install the top.

If I glue in the rear bow weatherstripping, will I run into problems during top installation?
Old 11-30-2002, 09:56 PM
princeRed72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow? (DaddyO)

If you are talking about the bow on the deck lid the top needs to go in first then the weatherstripping. You need to use glue to hold it in and seal it good and tight. I used a small piece of wood to work it into the groove.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:20 PM
DaddyO
Racer

Default Re: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow? (princeRed72)

Gotcha. But is there a way to put in the weatherstripping without glue so that I can adjust the fit of the top?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:43 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow? (DaddyO)

The weatherstripping is held in the rear bow by a round nylon cord which is "forced" in the "U" shaped opening on the bottom of the WS. This nylon rope is about 3 feet +/- long (the length of the rear bow).

When the top is installed, you first place the top material in the groove in the rear bow. Then the WS goes in, and then you "shove" the nylon cord in. This cord holds the WS and the top material to the rear bow. Hope this helps. Chuck
Old 12-01-2002, 09:08 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

DaddyO,
This nylon cord was furnished with the Al Knoch convertible top kit. It didn't come with the convertible top weatherstripping kit that purchased.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:59 AM
DaddyO
Racer

Default Re: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow? (68rdstr)

Thanks for the great explanation. I was wondering what that nylon cord was for!!!

Looks like I can finally finish this project up!
Old 12-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Ain't it great when a plan comes together. :D Surprised your new WS kit didn't have the cord. Did the old WS you removed have the cord? Chuck
Old 12-01-2002, 11:19 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow? (Chuck Gongloff)

Chuck,
I started with a bare frame that the previous owner had already stripped.

DaddyO, I replaced my top with the frame on the car and the rear bow still attached to the frame. One thing that I did when I put my top on was to use large popsicle sticks (tongue depressors). As I worked the top down into the channel and around into place, I would insert these popsicle sticks to hold the top material in place. The rear bow channel is L shaped and the top's piping is worked around into the L shape. If I remember correctly, I had to stack about three together in order to fit tight into the rear bow channel. I then worked my way around the rear bow inserting the popsicle sticks as I went. The sticks kept the top in place as I worked the weatherstripping into the channel, pulling the sticks out as I went.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:24 AM
DaddyO
Racer

Default Re: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow? (68rdstr)

When I bought the car the guyI got it from just gave me the bare sandblasted frame - off the car! I had to get all the parts together, from weatherstripping to the latches.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:43 PM
princeRed72
Instructor

Default Re: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow? (Chuck Gongloff)

chick,
I never heard of the nylon cord. I have put two tops on my 72 and bought a new WS kit for the first attempt.
Thanks for the tip as it is looking like I need a new one.
Of course I never had any trouble w/o the nylon
Old 12-01-2002, 05:46 PM
princeRed72
Instructor

sorry about misspelling your name Chuck. Hit the enter before checking. Also tough to type with a 20 lb westie sleeping on your lap :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow?

Quick Reply: 71 conv: How do I install the the weatherstripping on the rear bow?