C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Intermittent/Delay to Wipers ('76)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 02:11 AM
DR'76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding Intermittent/Delay to Wipers ('76)

Has anyone added/modified their 2-speed wipers to either have a delay or intermittent feature? I have a '76 that is currently my daily-driver and would like to "slow down" Low speed, if possible. Low Speed is too fast for the light rains I seem to encounter almost daily (rains in S. FL every day in the Summer!) and get the "dry rub" after a few strokes. Hitting the switch for a single swipe is quite annoying when the switch is just out-of-reach w/o leaning forward every time.

Thanks for any info, links, etc...

Old 07-25-2020, 04:34 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

It's possible to add delay wipers. It will require significant rewiring and some a number of components. The most difficult thing to find is the delay wiper motor cover. Everything else is available in reproduction.
The following users liked this post:
DR'76 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 02:02 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Detroit Speed offers a complete kit.......https://www.detroitspeed.com/detroit...er-door-121621
DR'76 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I did a write-up a while back-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-wipers.html

Can be done- but to do it correctly is a little involved.

I ended up with a 90's Caddy controller/ switch and 90's Old Cutlass motor on my 71- If i wanted can even use the "rain" sensor control!

On my 73- the stock motor- Caddy controller/stalk and a couple relays

Caddy motor-

Put the controller stalk in the ignition switch- and went with a pushbutton start-

On my 73- stock motor w/ Caddy controller-

DR'76 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 08:33 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Since I don't drive in the rain (unless unexpected weather), I have no need for the delay wiper system. But I do appreciated it on everyday vehicles.

I haven't researched it, but it would seem like the delay wiper circuit connected into the Low speed wiper switch circuit would get that job done. With the Low-speed switch engaged, the wiper door is opened. It just needs the signal to the wipers pulsed (ON-OFF at variable rate) without defeating the 'door open' signal from that low-speed switch position. If you only substituted the pulsed 12vdc signal from that low-speed switch, the door would open/close with each pulse.

Ideally, you would only need to add a variable switch/rheostat which would regulate the speed of the pulses when you selected the low-speed position on the wiper switch.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 07-28-2020 at 08:38 PM.
DR'76 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Since I don't drive in the rain (unless unexpected weather), I have no need for the delay wiper system. But I do appreciated it on everyday vehicles.

I haven't researched it, but it would seem like the delay wiper circuit connected into the Low speed wiper switch circuit would get that job done. With the Low-speed switch engaged, the wiper door is opened. It just needs the signal to the wipers pulsed (ON-OFF at variable rate) without defeating the 'door open' signal from that low-speed switch position. If you only substituted the pulsed 12vdc signal from that low-speed switch, the door would open/close with each pulse.

Ideally, you would only need to add a variable switch/rheostat which would regulate the speed of the pulses when you selected the low-speed position on the wiper switch.
I have researched it...If a simple "555" timer board is used- since there's no way to "read' the location of the arms- they will stop at different positions each time. Sort of makes the modification half-baked - especially true if you add a wiper door in the mix.

DR'76 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Interesting. That would not be a good result. Not sure why the wipers would stop dead in the middle of a cycle. You wouldn't want to cut power to the wiper motor....just provide the same 'signal' that the motor gets when the wiper switch is turned OFF. The stock system doesn't care that the wipers are 'in action' when you turn the switch to 'OFF' position.

P.S. Not interested in getting argumentative about this. Just trying to discuss the subject and share thoughts.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Interesting. That would not be a good result. Not sure why the wipers would stop dead in the middle of a cycle. You wouldn't want to cut power to the wiper motor....just provide the same 'signal' that the motor gets when the wiper switch is turned OFF. The stock system doesn't care that the wipers are 'in action' when you turn the switch to 'OFF' position.

P.S. Not interested in getting argumentative about this. Just trying to discuss the subject and share thoughts.
You'll notice- when you turn off the wipers but ignition/acc is on- the wipers park. If you turn off the ignition and the wipers are on- they stop dead in their tracks.

As long as the wiper sees power via the yellow ignition source- but change the ground via the switch- the motor will park.

So if you try to control/delay/pause/ the wiper via the ground- the wipers would park each time.

If you control/delay/pause the wiper via power the motors will stop dead in their tracks.

SO you will have to know where the wipers are in the travel- otherwise it's stop wherever or park- no way around it without a 'module" the knows where the arms are in travel.

You can see the module I used- the green wheel tracks the travel of the wipers- actually mechanically switches the stop point see the contacts on the back side-

Old 07-29-2020, 06:03 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Remember. The OP has a '76 so there are no wiper doors to add complication. I'm almost positive that it uses the same wiper motor as all the later years when interval wipers were an option. What I don't know is if the wiper motor has the pin that operates the switch in the cover that tells the wiper module when the arms are at their low point.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO OP:

I did some more research after saying, "It can be done." Beyond the difficult-to-find pulse wiper cover the wiper switch from '68-'76 cannot control pulse wipers. You might be able to adapt a three-speed wiper switch used in the doors of old Cadillacs but I certainly won't say it will work.

If you don't want to experiment, I suggest some beamless Bosch wiper blades. They don't chatter on a completely dry windshield.
DR'76 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 12:00 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Remember. The OP has a '76 so there are no wiper doors to add complication.

With my design- the wiper door is NOT a issue- as the motor won't park when pausing the wipers-

The wiper door closes when a vacuum plunger switch is depressed by the wiper arm only when they are in the parked position.

Wiring is not that tough- four wires from the dash switch to the motor- as you have a ground and power at the motor. The Wiper has an output (power /ground) for a 12V washer pump as used on 75 -82 or any other one that operates on 12V- I'm using a BMW one.

As far as controlling the wipers- this is the switch- could easily be mounted above the OEM wiper switch- don't have to use the stalk as I did- can just use a simple **** -done.

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Intermittent/Delay to Wipers ('76)

Quick Reply: Adding Intermittent/Delay to Wipers ('76)