C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Edelbrock Carburetor fuel boiling

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 09:13 AM
fesa
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C3 Edelbrock Carburetor fuel boiling

Dear all,

I recently installed a new Edelbrock carburetor in my 80s Corvette. Since then I am having lots of issues with fuel boiling (I think), as the engine does not start properly after I haven driven my Corvette for some time (e.g. 30mins) - cold start is not issue, also a start after e.g. 5mins drive is no issue. However, as soon as I have driven longer, the engine doesn't start. I have to fully press the gas pedal and start at the same time - then the engine starts.

From what I read so far here in the forum, the issue seems to be that the fuel in the carburetor is boiling. I have attached two pictures from my engine, maybe somebody can give me a hint what I (or my mechanic if I am unable to) could change to cure the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
CAMS69 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 09:55 AM
CAMS69
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 84 Posts

Im gonna subscribe to this thread. I also have the similar problem as you..
edelbrock carb, cold start great, hot start takes longer but does start.
I notice you have a thin gasket between carb and intake, i replaced with a 1/2" phenolic one and it helped a small amount.
Also people will tell you to get that plastic filter out of there...
Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

What intake gasket did you use? If you did not use a 1204 Fel Pro......the center hole for the heat riser may be open which will heat up the intake a bunch.
Where is your timing set at? Excessive advance or retard can cause high exhaust temps which exasperates the problem I mentioned above.
What is your fuel pressure set at?

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 07-14-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:59 AM
fesa
Cruising

Originally Posted by CAMS69
Also people will tell you to get that plastic filter out of there...
Does that help materially? Of course, that should be an easy fix - however I doubt it will solve all my problems, will it?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fesa
Does that help materially? Of course, that should be an easy fix - however I doubt it will solve all my problems, will it?
It will not solve anything except squelching the possibility of your car catching on fire.....

Jebby
Old 07-14-2020, 10:02 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Another issue you have is that 2" tall air filter is strangely the engines ability to breath.
Jebbysan (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:05 AM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The edlebrock carb is basically an old Carter design. They were very prone to boiling. In your install instructions you should see a section just above the IDLE Mixture section. Maybe page 8 I dont know what install book you have.

That section just above talks about "When restarting the vehicle after it has been sitting for 10-30 mins you may experience some difficulty starting (stopping to get gas is enough to bring it on). The result will be similar to a flooded carburetor"

You basically need a heat insulator gasket similar to part number 9266/9265 depending on what carb/intake you have. Its basically 3/8" insulator to keep the carb away from the hot manifold.

Some guys make them out of wood or other types of material.

It simply works IF YOU HAVE THE HOOD CLEARANCE be-careful of your air cleaner stud and its only like $25 max. It may not work 100% but it definitely helps.

Just saw jebbys post and he makes some really good points as well about the cross over.

Also just me... i am not a fan of plastic or glass fuel filters.. I would use a metal one and i would insulate your fuel line away from the HOT intake heater core hose. If you could even wrap the heater core hose with some insulator right at the area where its close or touching the filter it would be beneficial as well.

Last edited by mysixtynine; 07-14-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:06 AM
fesa
Cruising

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
What intake gasket did you use? If you did not use a 1204 Fel Pro......the center hole for the heat riser may be open which will heat up the intake a bunch.
Where is your timing set at? Excessive advance or retard can cause high exhaust temps which exasperates the problem I mentioned above.
What is your fuel pressure set at?

Jebby
Thanks, Jebby. Not exactly sure with intake gasket was used (the invoice I have doesn't specify exactly), I will make a picture later to verify.

Fuel pressure seems to be low (I think), as the filter is always only 1/3rd full (when engine is switched off). Can I easily change that one? Sorry for the newbie question...!!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Are you using a 180 F thermostat?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:15 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, Jebby. Not exactly sure with intake gasket was used (the invoice I have doesn't specify exactly), I will make a picture later to verify.

Fuel pressure seems to be low (I think), as the filter is always only 1/3rd full (when engine is switched off). Can I easily change that one? Sorry for the newbie question...!!
Newbie questions are no problem.....
You can remove the choke stand plate and shine a light or stick a poker down the hole to see if the heat riser port is blocked off. If it isn't.....I recommend going through the trouble of blocking it off. Mucho heat comes through there and heat soaks the intake....especially an aluminum one.

Jebby
Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 AM
MelWff
Race Director

The amount of fuel is no indication of fuel pressure.
I notice you are in Austria, is your mechanic familiar with modified American cars?
Jebbysan (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Get this fuel line kit and some fitting and braided hose to run to your fuel pump......this will help keep fuel temps down.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8131

Jebby
Old 07-14-2020, 10:19 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Changing carbs wont help its the ethanol fuel...try a heat shield under it summit sells them. May or may not take care of it not much you can do. Even EFI systems with TBI sometimes have an issue wiht this.
Others use an electric fuel pump I wouldnt waste my $ though
Old 07-14-2020, 10:20 AM
fesa
Cruising

Originally Posted by MelWff
The amount of fuel is no indication of fuel pressure.
I notice you are in Austria, is your mechanic familiar with modified American cars?
He should be, as he is a mechanic specialized on US cars. I am having my doubts recently, though...
Old 07-14-2020, 10:22 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Years ago I used an EDL 750 carb. When I stopped you could pop the hood and hear fuel boiling in the bowls. I had a single plane without an exhaust cross over. I installed a 1/2 wood spacer. Wood is a better thermal block than Phenolic. I used an open spacer. Dual plain could use a two hole. Sold at summit racing.

As to a 2 inch filter blocking air flow.... It depends on the diameter of the filter, filters resistance to air flow, and the engines real needs. 14X2 has lots of surface area. 80 even mildly modded isn't very volumetrically efficient requiring lots of air.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:22 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Is there an Austrian Corvette club that could suggest another mechanic?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,341 Likes on 3,942 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I had this same issue
  1. put in a phenolic spacer or one made of the material of our choice except aluminum. I used 1/2 inch and then went to 1 inch but i have a lot of room
  2. you may need a drop base air cleaner to clear the hood. take out the carb cleaner stud and put a ball of tinfoil on top of the lid and slowly close the hood to get the gap
  3. install a fuel pressure regulator and gauge and set it to 4-5 psi.
  4. keep your fuel lines away from any heat source or wrap them with a reflective material to help keep the fuel lines cool
  5. i have not used one but there is a metal or aluminum shied that is put under the carb to deflect heat as well. I've heard good things here
  6. You can also try an air gap intake if you have the hood clearance as well
  7. you can try openning the hood enough to let out all the heat when you stop as well
  8. you can carry starting fluid and spray it everytime you want to start it as well. Major PITA but it works in a pinch

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Edelbrock Carburetor fuel boiling

Old 07-15-2020, 02:16 PM
71chimera
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

https://www.aedperformance.com/parts...s.html?start=0

Birchwood plywood
Old 07-16-2020, 06:26 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 454 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by cv67
Changing carbs wont help its the ethanol fuel...try a heat shield under it summit sells them. May or may not take care of it not much you can do.
Do they use that in Austria too???
I do believe that is a big part of this problem here in California, USA.
Heat shield and phenolic carb spacer did help a little on my car.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:50 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Block off the exhaust crossover ports and either wire your heat riser valve open or take it off and cut out the butterfly valve in it.

Quick Reply: C3 Edelbrock Carburetor fuel boiling