C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Vette Brakes Products control arms.... Ideas wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 01:22 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Cracked Vette Brakes Products control arms.... Ideas wanted

While chassis disassembly goes on with my 70 coupe project, I discovered one of the lower control arms was cracked near the ball joint. I am pretty sure I am not going to try to repair this since I have no good way to realign it before welding. Besides, this appears to be a weak point in the design and probably should be reinforced.

*** Potential safety issue: I would recommend that all owners with these control arms make a point to inspect this area for cracks every oil change.***

I am thinking about getting a set of Van Steel tubular lower control arms and stock springs to replace the VBP lower arms and monoleaf. This assumes the upper A arms pass inspection.

Any other good solutions? This is repair /replace damaged parts project.... A full front end system would be out of scope.

(crack in VBP lower control arm)

Matt

Last edited by quickcat; 07-02-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:17 PM
TJP440
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about sourcing the replacement but I'll agree that's a nice paperweight
Old 07-02-2020, 09:49 PM
71yellow454
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

I went with Global West upper and lower. They just look stronger than Van Steel to me.
The following users liked this post:
74_stingray (07-04-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:59 PM
Black72GTS
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 71yellow454
I went with Global West upper and lower. They just look stronger than Van Steel to me.
I 2nd Global West, but if you are in just a repair/replace mode there are much cheaper options.
74_stingray (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,195 Likes on 2,753 Posts

Thanks for the P.S.A.

Good thing that you were paying close attention to your work
Old 07-03-2020, 07:19 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 71yellow454
I checked them out and they do look better... less expensive too. Thanks for the tip.

Matt
Old 07-03-2020, 07:23 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black72GTS
I 2nd Global West, but if you are in just a repair/replace mode there are much cheaper options.
Such as??? A pair of global west arms and a pair of stock springs are about the least expensive so far.

I don't want to put in a set of stock ones since I'd want to change the uppers too if I did that. I don't want to mix stock and aftermarket.

Matt
Old 07-03-2020, 08:34 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Matt, thanks for posting the picture of the cracked lower control arm. Unfortunately, not being familiar with this particular VB&P system, I'm having a bit of a problem orienting myself to your picture. If you could post another picture of the complete control arm that will orient us to the picture of the cracked portion, I would appreciate it.

I bought a lot of things from VB&P over the years and was generally very satisfied with their products and customer service. Especially so in the early years - for me, the early 90's. I certainly did not wish to see them close down but realize it was for a variety of reasons and not specifically related to the quality of their products. However I was never a fan of their front mono-leaf system despite the fact that it has been used extensively in later generation Corvettes.

My primary concern was that it reduced ground clearance (not insignificantly since I like to autocross my cars) and it made no real provision for protecting such a critical portion of the front suspension. From the C4 on, the front mono-spring was encased in the front crossmember providing excellent protection without reducing ground clearance. It may have seemed a simple solution to add adjust ability to the front suspension at the time, but for me not worth the risk.

Good luck... GUSTO
Jebbysan (07-07-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

All I see is a stock GM arm removed from the Titanic. What am I missing here?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:24 AM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Agreed that spring cushion cup looks like it is in a flat area that is not heavily vertically reinforced like the factory arms spring pocket. Thus it would flex more, as also evidenced by the stress crack. Combined with the loss of ground clearance that Gusto mentioned, their front monoleaf retrofit kit does not look like a very well engineered & durable design to me.

Might I ask how many miles you have on yours?

So that other monoleaf retro-fit owners would have a data point?

The Global West delrin bushing system is hard to beat, if you autocross or road race your car. At street speeds it is not really necessary. My autocross car was so capable I could triple interstate on-ramp speeds with utter confidence with those bushings up to like 90 on a tight 30mph cloverleaf ramp. They are really not needed at anything approaching sane speeds on the street. Car pulled 1.3 G and had terrific laser like steering feel even at the limit. Easy to drive,. A lot of that feel was due to those bushings. .

My c3 will be a hot-rod street car and I will be using rubber bushings there. I won't use poly anywhere, too many bad experiences. 27 yrs of it in racing.

It is a bit of a PITA to adjust ride height with a coil spring, but really you only have to go thru it once, and then you have factory durability.

So sorry for your trouble and so glad you have a "keen eye". My son's car had a lower ball joint failure just yesterday, lots of damage but fortunately he is OK. No cotter pin in the castle nut. REALLY mad at his mechanic.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:13 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I'm having a bit of a problem orienting myself to your picture. If you could post another picture of the complete control arm that will orient us to the picture of the cracked portion, I would appreciate it.
I really should have known better. Ill have to get some better orientation photos this weekend.

Matt
GUSTO14 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 10:23 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leigh1322
Agreed that spring cushion cup looks like it is in a flat area that is not heavily vertically reinforced like the factory arms spring pocket. Thus it would flex more, as also evidenced by the stress crack. Combined with the loss of ground clearance that Gusto mentioned, their front monoleaf retrofit kit does not look like a very well engineered & durable design to me.

Might I ask how many miles you have on yours?

So that other monoleaf retro-fit owners would have a data point?

The Global West delrin bushing system is hard to beat, if you autocross or road race your car. At street speeds it is not really necessary. My autocross car was so capable I could triple interstate on-ramp speeds with utter confidence with those bushings up to like 90 on a tight 30mph cloverleaf ramp. They are really not needed at anything approaching sane speeds on the street. Car pulled 1.3 G and had terrific laser like steering feel even at the limit. Easy to drive,. A lot of that feel was due to those bushings. .

My c3 will be a hot-rod street car and I will be using rubber bushings there. I won't use poly anywhere, too many bad experiences. 27 yrs of it in racing.

It is a bit of a PITA to adjust ride height with a coil spring, but really you only have to go thru it once, and then you have factory durability.

So sorry for your trouble and so glad you have a "keen eye". My son's car had a lower ball joint failure just yesterday, lots of damage but fortunately he is OK. No cotter pin in the castle nut. REALLY mad at his mechanic.
The crack initiated just outside of the weld in a high stress area. They should have made the outer part of slightly thicker material and carried it up the arm tube some more to get the weld further away from the stress concentration. The area around the weld are where the weak spots can live and they put that in the highest stress area of the arm.... according to my analysis anyway.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer and information on how much time or mileage is on these parts. I bought the car off a guy I used to work with years ago with no motor in it and I have lost touch with him so I can't ask. I assume they went in the car in the mid 90s.

"REALLY mad at his mechanic"....... I always say, never trust a professional. The quality of work I see people get these days is abysmal.

Matt

Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 AM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

It looks like those arms are from a VB&P Dual-Mount Transverse Spring conversion, and unfortunately, cracking in that location was common on the earlier versions. I believe VBP added a doubler in that location on the later versions, which is what I did to mine too.

A couple years ago, I was doing a check after a weekend of autocross and found cracks in both arms. We pulled them from the car, put them in a press to straighten them and close up the gap in the crack, then welded them closed and welded on a doubler plate to reinforce them. Since then I've put about 6,000 miles on the car, as well as about 20 autocross days and two track days at Willow Springs without any further trouble.

Good Luck with your project,
Chris
Old 07-05-2020, 11:02 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

I call that "customer testing of prototype"

Old 07-06-2020, 06:01 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

also known as screwing the customer with inferior parts... 2nd cracked VB&P stuff thread this week.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:33 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I too would appreciate a better picture of the control arm to know where the crack is, and to know if it is a coil spring or mono spring arm. I too have VB&P control arms, the mono spring type.

Jebbysan (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I too would appreciate a better picture of the control arm to know where the crack is, and to know if it is a coil spring or mono spring arm. I too have VB&P control arms, the mono spring type.

Jebby

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked Vette Brakes Products control arms.... Ideas wanted

Old 07-08-2020, 02:54 AM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Here are a couple pics of mine while the car was still up in the air. You can see that this is on a monoleaf system and that the crack is right inline with the hole for the spring bolt.

I don't have any photos from after we fixed them, but I might lift it up tomorrow and take some.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CA_WxMan
It looks like those arms are from a VB&P Dual-Mount Transverse Spring conversion, and unfortunately, cracking in that location was common on the earlier versions. I believe VBP added a doubler in that location on the later versions, which is what I did to mine too.

A couple years ago, I was doing a check after a weekend of autocross and found cracks in both arms. We pulled them from the car, put them in a press to straighten them and close up the gap in the crack, then welded them closed and welded on a doubler plate to reinforce them. Since then I've put about 6,000 miles on the car, as well as about 20 autocross days and two track days at Willow Springs without any further trouble.

Good Luck with your project,
Chris
To the OP I agree this would be your least expensive solution. It should hold up well with double the steel. It also sounds like it was VBPs solution on the 2nd generation of these.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:39 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

I keep forgetting to get more pictures....

​​​​​​This was a monoleaf spring arm and the crack formed at the end of the square tube near the ball joint.

Matt

Quick Reply: Cracked Vette Brakes Products control arms.... Ideas wanted