C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door won't open

My 77's passenger door won't unlock from in or outside...any suggestions? :smash:
Old 11-26-2002, 10:49 PM
OzVette75
Advanced

Default Re: Door won't open (Geoff1340)

Geoff
Happened on my 75. the little spring at the top of the lock mechanism was broken in half. Used a screwdriver down the window to unlock the door and replaced the spring.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:13 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Door won't open (OzVette75)

Geoff
Happened on my 75. the little spring at the top of the lock mechanism was broken in half. Used a screwdriver down the window to unlock the door and replaced the spring.
I second a spring problem
Old 11-27-2002, 01:50 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: Door won't open (82dukman)

I had this same thing happen on a 77 I repainted last year.I kept messing with it ,and it finally opened.I had to buy a different latch because the old one kept sticking.Your last option is to cut the door panel off to get to the latch. :cry Good luck :seeya
Old 11-29-2002, 12:41 PM
woodsman
Intermediate

I had a similar problem once. Mechanic friends knew right where to press their knee on the door and pull and the thing opened. They had the inner door cover off is seconds and discovered that the lock rod was severely bent and probably as a result of someone attempting to STEAL the car. That seemed plausible because the week before the battery and hub caps were stollen from my truck. If nothing else, you may want to evaluate the security issues of your car in case the sticky door problem disappears with the car at some point in the future :)
Old 11-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Default Re: Door won't open (OzVette75)

Where exactly are you fishing with a screwdriver? I've tried a slim-jim with no success and don't want to cut the door panel off or break a window....Vetts sure are interesting to own!!!
Old 11-30-2002, 07:26 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

I wrote an article (with pics) for the NCRS restorer on this topic because the lock on my 78 wouldn't open and I wasn't about to tear open my door panel. As described, you use a long screwdriver with the objective of pushing on the secondary latch that secures the striker bolt. There are two latches (primary and secondary) so you will need a flashlight, window down and you may need to push a plastic water guard out of the way. The latches are located along the door jamb...I don't have those photos in digital form, otherwise I'd post them. I'm not sure if 77 had the guard but it was installed after 78.

Once you've nailed the target...the sucker will pop and then you simply pull on the door and it opens. The key is knowing where to poke and probe.

Get notified of new replies

To Door won't open

Quick Reply: Door won't open