C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 post lift advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz
Looks exactly like my Olympic. I think there are really only three megs. Bend pak and back yard buddy are US made. All the rest are from Asia, probably China. Despite all the different brand names I TNINK they all come from the same place with a different decal. I'm happy with mine. I bought it for storage but I use it a lot.

I need to mention - the linkage between the four locks is a week design. They are movable but not very easy to do. I have not anchored the four posts but will probably do that with wedge anchors.if you move it you have to realign the four posts .
I think you are correct. Same lift, different brand labels. They are all identical as far as I can tell. The Bend Pak and Back Yard Buddy are a heavier lift with heavier components. For my needs this model will more than meet my needs. Rated at 8k lbs for my 3.5k Corvette.

I am looking at this shorter length model that will give me more room in my garage. It is 2.5 feet shorter than the standard length model. Still enough length to accommodate the Vette and other short wheel base vehicles. https://www.ontimeautoequipment.com/...h/category/14/

Last edited by Bhebert449; 04-27-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:01 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I can tell you that I chose NOT to bolt the lift columns to the concrete floor. The metal pads were not completely flat with the floor, so I purchased a 1/2" thick rubber floor mat, cut it up in squares the same size as the pads, and [one-at-a-time using the "lift" devices] used construction adhesive to stick those pads to the bottom surface of the column pads. Now when I raise the lift with significant weight on it, it just levels itself thru those rubber pads and goes up straight...smooth as warm butter on hot toast. No need to unbolt anything, if I need to move it around; and I've had it for about 10 years, now.
The following 2 users liked this post by 7T1vette:
427Hotrod (04-28-2020), ratflinger (05-22-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:59 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've seen the Backyard Buddy Classic in person and the Classic has nothing special compared to the Direct Lift. The Backyard Buddy Classic has fixed lock holes. I don't think it went as high either. Overall, after reading their sales pitch about how they are so much better I wasn't impressed at all when I actually saw it and I personally wouldn't pay extra for one over the Direct Lift. With the fixed locks, the ramps will drop and lock unlevel unless the floor is level. My floor was off a fair bit so that ruled it out.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:42 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

Bendpak HD9 here and no complaints
Old 04-28-2020, 10:18 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhebert449
I think you are correct. Same lift, different brand labels. They are all identical as far as I can tell. The Bend Pak and Back Yard Buddy are a heavier lift with heavier components. For my needs this model will more than meet my needs. Rated at 8k lbs for my 3.5k Corvette.

I am looking at this shorter length model that will give me more room in my garage. It is 2.5 feet shorter than the standard length model. Still enough length to accommodate the Vette and other short wheel base vehicles. https://www.ontimeautoequipment.com/...h/category/14/
Any reason I should not go with this shorter length lift. The track length is 132” vs 164” for a standard length lift. I have not see any other manufacturer that offers a shortened length lift.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:21 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,891 Likes on 921 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've never bolted any of mine to the floor either. I like the ability to move it around. A buddy of mine rolls his outside his shop every year and puts the cars up on it to wash the bottoms.

It goes up and down dead smooth and no sense of instability at all. It's rock solid. I put some of those carpet tile squares under each leg just to protect the floor epoxy. The Direct lift has adjuster nuts on all four corners and it's easy to level it if needed. It's just part of the adjustment process. I like the lock system also. Much better than those welded on pieces on some of the cheaper lifts.

As mentioned. I never let it be supported by just hydraulics. That's just normal safety for anything. I don't get under a car with just a floor jack holding it either. But it does have good safety locks. Even if something happened when it was being moved between locks...it would only drop one latch before it was caught.

JIM
Old 04-28-2020, 11:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

As long as that length will service the vehicle you expect that it should, no reason not to go that route. I bought my 4-post which was a bit shorter and narrower than the 'regular' model as I meant it for the Corvette. A couple of years later I came by a very nice '65 Grand Prix. I measured it up and with the lift positioned just right, I could put the GP on the lift, have about 8" between the nose of the front bumper and the doors on my storage cabinets, AND have about 3" clearance to the inside of the garage door. Tight fit, but being very careful to line things up, it works when I need to put the GP up in the air. No problem for the Corvette, of course. Obviously, 136" tracks would not work for me.....
Old 04-29-2020, 01:58 AM
Gunfighter13
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Challenger or Bendpak, are the two brands used in the shop. Both well made and no issues.
The following users liked this post:
sjstub (05-01-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 08:18 AM
72soft-top
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This always comes down to how you are using the lift? For long term storage a 4 post is the way to go. I picked up this Atlas lift and installed it in about 3 hours with 2 helpers. No issues yet. Works perfectly for me

Last edited by 72soft-top; 05-02-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have a Direct Lift, five years of flawless operation so far. Love it.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:18 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm not quite sure why all people think you need a 2post lift for suspension work , my 4 post lift has seen more rear ends pulled and trailing arms, fuel tanks , you can do anything on a 4 poster. You just do it different .
Old 05-17-2020, 05:01 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I guys that works on BMW's has a shop and he knew I worked on my own cars. He offered me one of his Bendpak HD9 lifts at a very good price if I pulled it. So took the lift apart , moved it to my place, and cannot be happier. I'll use a jack tray when working on my truck but for corvette suspension work I plan on getting one of the 5K or 6K quick jacks and lay it on the lift tracks for the vette. Most of the time the vette is stored on the lift so the 4 post works out well.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:59 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 774 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by RonR80
I'm not quite sure why all people think you need a 2post lift for suspension work , my 4 post lift has seen more rear ends pulled and trailing arms, fuel tanks , you can do anything on a 4 poster. You just do it different .
I agree. I'm just finishing up putting the front suspension back together on my '69. A four poster also makes it a lot easier to do the front or rear alignment afterward.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:16 PM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had a Backyard Buddy for well over 10 years. Love it. I like the 4 post because it provides a solid foundation for all 4 wheels. When I replaced the floors in my 55 Chem I jacked the body up off the frame from the lift runners. Kept the body straight and the rails hold a lot of tools and parts. I got the extra long and extra high version. The extra length moves the posts closer to the edges of the garage so they aren't in the way of getting to parts of the car or other things in the garage. I also got a sliding jack so I can lift one end of the car at a time. Really came in hand when I changed out the rear of my 55 and changing the springs and A Arms on my 73 Corvette Two posts really restrict access to the car because of the location of the two posts in the Center. They get in the way of the doors. It has also made it a lot easier to work under the dash of cars, I can raise it up to just the right height to get good access without having to be Spiderman. I really don't see the advantage of a 2 post except cost.

Last edited by RU7376vettes; 05-17-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:43 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will N^th the BendPad HD-9 (pick with you want). I have the version with the wide gap between the runways. I have dropped the drivetrain on my C5Z between it 3 times. Takes a little more work because you need to remove the lower control arms, but nothing too brutal. The four poster is awesome for suspension setup since you don't have to worry about letting things settle before re-measuring.

Get as long/wide as will fit your garage. I could not fit the long version. My Pickup fits on the lift, but just barely. Lifting capacity is fine, just wish the runways were a bit longer for large vehicles.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:13 PM
Tecdiverfl
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 2 Direct Lift. Could not be happier

Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 PM
lynnbilodeau
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

It's been four years, but I had two of these shipped to a freight dock close to me. Went and picked them up with my trailer. My wife and I installed them both in one afternoon with nothing more than hand tools, some pry bars and a cherry picker. FWIW, we only needed the cherry picker to get them off the trailer. If you and a helper can't install them you have no business working on cars. JMHO.

Waited for a special and got them both for less than $4000.

I have a two post in my work shop, so don't use these for anything but double parking. If I wanted to do any repair work, I would also get the rolling jack tray, maybe two, so one could lift front and back at the same time. If you are buyig a lift to do WORK on a car, you will be much happier with a two post. Again, JMHO. BTW, the instructions directed us to get the posts vertical, then lift the cross bars up and install. Total nonsense. Installed the cross bars on the verticals, and we THEN lifted the posts to vertical. Very easy even for an old guy and his wife.

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4...e-Storage-Lift

Last edited by lynnbilodeau; 05-26-2020 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Floridasky (06-16-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 4 post lift advice

Old 05-27-2020, 08:35 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 72soft-top
This always comes down to how you are using the lift? For long term storage a 4 post is the way to go. I picked up this Atlas lift and installed it in about 3 hours with 2 helpers. No issues yet. Works perfectly for me

Love those wheels on your 'Vette!

Old 06-14-2020, 11:15 AM
95 LT5
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Tecdiverfl
I have 2 Direct Lift. Could not be happier

How high is your garage?
Old 06-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Corvettedave02
C3. 427, 4-link, c7 z06
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I had a Titan, 9k , two post installed about 4 years ago. Works great but you need some ceiling height. 12’ or so.

Quick Reply: 4 post lift advice