C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly vs rubber

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:00 AM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I put poly in for CA bushings, trans mount, trailing arm bushings, sway bar mounts. No squeak, rides wonderful on our lousy Alaskan roads, handles like a slot car but thats likely due to other stuff i did as well. I have no complaints. However, prior to Poly even with semi worn rubber bushings the car handled ok. It's when the trailing arm bushings went is when the car was a mess to drive. Rubber works fine. Poly work fine. Just use a quality product like others have said. Just freshening up the suspension is going to make you happy, you will not regret doing either if you use good products IMHO.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:31 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I am thinking about using Energy Suspension poly bushings on the 2 rear trailing arm pivot mounts. I understand these can be installed without removing the trailing arms completely as they are not pressed in and staked with a tool. Is this true and are the poly bushings the same width as the stock ones or are more (or less) shims just used?
Old 04-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I am thinking about using Energy Suspension poly bushings on the 2 rear trailing arm pivot mounts. I understand these can be installed without removing the trailing arms completely as they are not pressed in and staked with a tool. Is this true and are the poly bushings the same width as the stock ones or are more (or less) shims just used?
Yes, it can be done. However, it is my experience that this is one place the poly bushings do more harm than good. Not enough compliance for the motion they endure.
Johnny joints are the answer here.
The following users liked this post:
CanadaGrant (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Just an FYI, this thread came up on the C2 board last week:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-bushing.html

CanadaGrant (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 05:13 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Thanks guys. I had heard some sellers were pawning off inferior "poly" bushings that were known to fail but figured Energy Suspension would know what they have or would have quit producing it but who knows... Some guys swear by the stuff but maybe rear control arms isn't the place for it.
interpon (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:19 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Thanks guys. I had heard some sellers were pawning off inferior "poly" bushings that were known to fail but figured Energy Suspension would know what they have or would have quit producing it but who knows... Some guys swear by the stuff but maybe rear control arms isn't the place for it.
i agree..would be nice to know definitely if usa made extruded quality vs a lot of known crap..personnally at this point id probably go rubber at this moment for ta only

Last edited by interpon; 04-14-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:02 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by interpon
i agree..would be nice to know definitely if usa made extruded quality vs a lot of known crap..personnally at this point id probably go rubber at this moment for ta only
I had Bairs put rubber trailing arm bushings in when they rebuilt my arms. They are the only rubber bushings left in my car. I've been happy with Energy Suspension poly bushings everywhere else (and heim-jointed strut rods, steel engine mounts, etc).

Quick Reply: Poly vs rubber