C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!980 wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 01:28 PM
Quackster
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default !980 wiring question

My 1980 C3 was previously stripped of most of the AC components. I am in the process of locating everything and installing new parts. I have a color coded wiring diagram and I just order a color coded wiring schematic from Lectric limited. I have a wiring plug that has a black and grey(white?) wire paired with a blue wire. The two wires are heavy gauge wire. In the photo the smaller wires are indicated to run to the A/C compressor switch. However, I cannot find anywhere on the diagram where the larger plug with the black and grey(white?) wire should go. Hopefully the new schematic will show where. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where this plug should be connected. It is wrapped with the wiring that connects to the compressor switch. I would appreciate any info. Thanx

Old 03-17-2020, 06:00 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The connector with the dark green and black wires is for the A/C clutch solenoid that engages the compressor. The dead ended light green wire goes to the solenoid just in front of the throttle that increases idle speed with the A/C working. The dead-ended black wire goes to the compressor support bracket. If you find a funky looking connector with light blue and light green wires it goes to the pressure sensor that cuts off power to the clutch solenoid when the high pressure (liquid) side of the system goes too high.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:56 AM
Quackster
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the information, The light green wire you see bundled in with four is actually the darker green wire running along side of the small black wire. the Black and grey wire is running with the light blue. I am assuming that you are referring the black and grey as black and to the compressor. But what you describe makes sense and I do appreciate the response.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:49 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

That other plug may also be for the auxiliary electric fan that came with the L82 engine. My 80 had the L48 and did not come with the electric fan unit, but the plug is there. Unfortunately my vette is off getting painted and I can't go out to the garage to check.
The following users liked this post:
Quackster (03-18-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 09:55 AM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
That other plug may also be for the auxiliary electric fan that came with the L82 engine. My 80 had the L48 and did not come with the electric fan unit, but the plug is there. Unfortunately my vette is off getting painted and I can't go out to the garage to check.
I think I have the same issue but want to clarify. I also have an 80 with L48. Is the plug in the picture below the one you are refering to that would go to the electric fan unit. The wire is pretty short and I don't see anything it would connect to. The other picture is the wire to the idle solenoid which i think is not working. I assume there should be voltage to it when the clutch is engaged. I would like to determine if the solenoid or wiring is bad. Just got the ac working and would like for the idle to increase as it is supposed. to

Get notified of new replies

To !980 wiring question

Quick Reply: !980 wiring question