C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 03:38 PM
SprintCarDriver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled Rotors

Since I am going to rebuild my front end I might as well put on drilled rotors. I was thinking of using the aluminum hat and steel rotors.. Anyone have any problems with this set up and what vendor might you suggest. I have looked at VP. Looked nice but they don't have the drilled only slotted..
Thanks

[Modified by SprintCarDriver, 2:38 PM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 03:49 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Drilled Rotors (SprintCarDriver)

Summit sells them, about $80 - $90 a pop, and then don't they have the 10% discount thing going on at the moment. I think the company that makes them is Performance Slots, or something along that line. They are listed in their cat. I had them on all 4 corners of mine, didn't have any problems.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:37 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

SCD,
Drilled rotors like to crack!! slotted rotors don`t. I never say NEVER BUT I would NEVER use drilled rotors on any of my stuff. ...redvetracr
Old 11-19-2002, 06:54 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Drilled Rotors (redvetracr)

Aren't drilled rotors worse on pads also?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:26 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Drilled Rotors (redvetracr)

redvet and I agree ( again :) )
Drilled rotors are for looks
If you want trick, look at Vette Brakes, they have Aluminum hubs and seperate rotors $$ tho
Old 11-19-2002, 08:02 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Drilled Rotors (427V8)

From what I have seen, drilled rotors are designed to save weight only. Slotted disks difuse the air much better & tend to be stronger. When drilling a disk, if it is not done VERY carefully, all the drill holes actually create weak spots. That being said, Brembo seems to use the drilled style http://hp.brembo.com/ I am going to give them a call this week & ask that question of them. The new SL55 I was looking at had 8 piston calipers with 14" Brembo rotors. I was eager to try to put those on the Vette & have wondered what the true answer is to this dillema.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:55 PM
CharlieF
Racer

I had put drilled rotors on my blown induced Camaro and ended up going to slotted. The drilled rotors cracked in several places. There is a race shop near by that use to "dimple" the rotors for a guy I know.....kinda like drilling it but only going about an 1/8 of an inch or so into the rotor.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:07 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Anytime you cast a material, then machine it, you end up with residual stresses in the part. Cross-drilling may look 'racey' because Porches have them, but a real race car will have plain vented rotors, possibly with slots. Porche manufactures their rotors cast with the holes. The only guaranteed performance gain a drilled rotor will do is save weight (not nessacarily a good thing on an object design to absorb converted kinetic energy and avoid fade), and Wilwood openly states this. Mind you, they thoroughly heat-treat their rotors after machining to ensure good quality. I have done the research, and the stress concentrations are not too detrimental in terms of the rotor's static strength factor of safety, but may be of concern when subjected to thermal-mechanical fatigue.

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 9:08 PM 11/19/2002]

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 9:11 PM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-21-2002, 04:04 PM
bourne62
Advanced

I thought the reason for drilled rotors was to help dissipate the buildup of gas between the rotor and semi-metalic pads. It is supposed to prevent brake fade.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:21 PM
SprintCarDriver
Racer

Default Re: Drilled Rotors (Turbo-Jet)

I have had drilled rotors on my sprinter and the FF and FC and have never had problems with them... Now all three of these are under 1500 lbs. I will also admit that I do like the looks of them but since they are going on the vette I do not need anything that will fad or crack. :( So are there any real advantages of going to slotted then?
Old 11-22-2002, 09:36 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Many years ago I set up my 4 rotors on a dividing head in a mill and drill them. I then set them up on a lathe and machined the inside to remove weight. At the same time I refaced both surfaces plus the mounting surface. I weighed each rotor before and after and cut 3 pounds out of each rotor. I always run organic pads, wagners for about $36. They don't wear the rotor. I tried Performance friction once but started to notice rotor wear so I went back to organic.
This is after at least 5 years of service with organic pads. I do check everything every winter and have never notice a crack.

Get notified of new replies

To Drilled Rotors

Quick Reply: Drilled Rotors