C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new Edelbrock carburetor on my 79, it started up but won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 03:02 PM
snapfade
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed new Edelbrock carburetor on my 79, it started up but won't stay running

Let me preface this by saying I'm an inexperienced wannabe mechanic, education from Youtube University.

I installed a new Edelbrock 1406 carb and manifold adapter kit to replace the original Quadrajet carb. Before I cranked it up I also set the initial timing. The first time I tried to crank it up it started but the engine idled super low, and when I stepped on the gas it wouldn't even get to 1000 RPM then it died after maybe 20 seconds. After that I was unable to get it started again after at least a dozen attempts. I put fuel in the tank, I could see fuel flowing through the filter, the timing should be good....what are some other things I should check? I'm lost. Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
73Reprise (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

How did you set the timing before you cranked it? There also should be a screw on the carb for idle adjustment. It could be a choke adjustment causing your issue. I am not familiar with Edelbrock carb setup.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:23 PM
snapfade
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 100% sure I had it at TDC and distributor rotor pointed at 1 cyl. I didn't mess with the idle screw yet. I will adjust that. I guess I assumed the carb out of the box wouldn't need much tuning.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you pulled a couple spark plugs to see if they're gas fouled?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by snapfade
I am 100% sure I had it at TDC and distributor rotor pointed at 1 cyl. I didn't mess with the idle screw yet. I will adjust that. I guess I assumed the carb out of the box wouldn't need much tuning.
If that is how you set the timing, it probably needs some advance to run. That gets you close. Was it running before you replaced the carb?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

You can't set timing with the engine off so chances are you are way off.
Bring it up to TDC#1, orientate the rotor so it points toward #1 cylinder. Line up the proper #1 terminal on the cap with the rotor the best you can. Now give a little twist counter clockwise and snug down the hold down so you can still move the distributor. Have a timing light ready......and fire the engine. If you can keep it running, set total timing for 36 degrees at 3000 rpm. Do not pay attention to the timing at idle. This is done with the vacuum advance hose pulled and plugged. After you set timing, plug vac advance back in. On the carb, start with two turns out from stop on the idle screws. Idle should be around 700-800......adjust with the screw near the throttle arm.
I urge you to try to put an intake manifold like the 2101 Performer on this with that carb. The spacer is a miserable piece of garbage that will never tune right.......not to mention it costs power and throws off fuel/air distribution.

Jebby
TinCanSailor (01-30-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 PM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Want to also add if you set the timing using the marks on the balancer if it’s an OE type you could be way off. Verify your balancer hasn’t slipped. Basically you need some kinda piston stop to stop the piston travel. Basically here is how you do it.
1. Make sure piston number 1 isn’t at TDC and install piston stop in the number 1 hole.
2. Roll engine clockwise BY HAND AND SLOWLY. When piston hits piston stop quit turning over motor and mark location on balancer.
3. Roll engine counterclockwise BY HAND AND SLOWLY. When piston again hits piston stop quit turning motor and mark location on balancer
4. You will have two separate marks on the balancer. Smack in the middle of these two marks should be your 0 degrees timing mark.

If it is not then you either have a slipped balancer or an aftermarket timing pointer that’s in the wrong place. Verify this is AOK before screwing with your timing or any of that crap.

NOTE: If desired pull the plugs (probably should pull them to make sure they aren’t fuel fouled at this junction) when trying to roll it. It should roll super easy that way if you choose to
TinCanSailor (01-30-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:10 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Snapfade,

In simple terms, turn the idle speed screw down one turn clockwise.
Loosen the distributor clamp and rotate the cap a smidge C.C.W.
Snug the clamp for now.
Hit the key.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-22-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:30 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

That is correct but you also should floor and release the gas pedal once to set the choke.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:01 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Good point about setting the choke. Did you supply the choke with a key-on 12 volts?

Get notified of new replies

To Installed new Edelbrock carburetor on my 79, it started up but won't stay running

Quick Reply: Installed new Edelbrock carburetor on my 79, it started up but won't stay running