C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear box vs rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 09:48 AM
edusmc1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Gear box vs rack

Hello and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Ive replaced everything new under the 77 vette and added the flaming river gear box and still drive the same. It wonders around on roads that have crowns and drives like a dream on nice flat roads. I'm thinking of doing rack and pinion and would like to see who has taken this trip and loves the results. The gear box is scary in curves and I'm wanting to put some serious miles on car safely. Thank you for any feed back and have a blessed Christmas and New Year.
Semper Fi
Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Greengear
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by edusmc1
Hello and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Ive replaced everything new under the 77 vette and added the flaming river gear box and still drive the same. It wonders around on roads that have crowns and drives like a dream on nice flat roads. I'm thinking of doing rack and pinion and would like to see who has taken this trip and loves the results. The gear box is scary in curves and I'm wanting to put some serious miles on car safely. Thank you for any feed back and have a blessed Christmas and New Year.
Semper Fi
I miss diagnosed rear suspension issues as front issues on my 77. Strut rods with heim joints fixed most of the issue for me.
Another thought is bump steer in the front if you have un even center link height left to right.

Last edited by Greengear; 12-23-2019 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greengear:
edusmc1 (12-23-2019), Metalhead140 (12-25-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Greengear
I miss diagnosed rear suspension issues as front issues on my 77. Strut rods with heim joints fixed most of the issue for me.
Another thought is bump steer in the front if you have un even center link height left to right.

Assuming you've already gotten an alignment, the most likely culprit is in the rear suspension. Bushings and heim jointed strut rods fixed the wander. Redoing the front suspension took out the looseness, but the biggest gains were in the rear, which I did first.

And if you did get an alignment, was it a 4-wheel alignment? Just adjusting the rear toe yourself could solve your problem.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:49 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

I forgot to say all new trailing arms and bushings and rear end mounts, and a 4 wheel alignment . So only thing is may make some adjustments for crowning or rack and pinion kit? Drive good just the wondering on back country roads and I want to do a power tour again and just want to see if the rack is the way to go to not worry about the roads.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by edusmc1
I forgot to say all new trailing arms and bushings and rear end mounts, and a 4 wheel alignment . So only thing is may make some adjustments for crowning or rack and pinion kit? Drive good just the wondering on back country roads and I want to do a power tour again and just want to see if the rack is the way to go to not worry about the roads.

Thanks
Is your car stock height....?
Look into one of the bump steer kits that have been available for these cars as long as I can remember.......
Are you sure the alignment is on? Too much toe in or toe out can cause unnerving feelings......did they give you a printout?
Lastly.....I know the box is new...but did you do the worm gear pre-load?

Jebby
Old 12-23-2019, 06:43 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

Flaming river gear box seems to have proper adjustments, it has no play in steering and it does steer back to center after turns with no hands on wheel. I will look in to the bump steer you are talking about.
Thank you very much for your replay.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:10 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I would contact Gary Ramadei, GTR1999, on this forum, who is an expert on the OEM recirculating ball steering boxes. He may be able to help you with your flaming river steering box. Gary custom blueprinted/rebuilt my OEM box so that it is better today than when it was brand new from GM. He may be able to help you diagnose any issues with your current box....

You have this box?

https://www.flamingriver.com/index.p...0009/FR1513-30

Last edited by jb78L-82; 12-23-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:39 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,341 Likes on 3,942 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

how old are your tires, make and model? Who did the alignment? Did you verify it yourself afterward. Theres no reason a properly set up vette with new suspension parts would wander all over the place unless something isnt set up correctly

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 12-24-2019 at 05:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
Metalhead140 (12-25-2019), mrvette (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 07:00 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

As all the others have said, if everything is new, installed correctly, has a proper alignment, etc, there should be zero wandering....If everything checks out properly, some part is defective........Either way, something is NOT right....A bent frame will cause the car to wander all over the place as well......
Old 12-24-2019, 09:20 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Ditto on the above comments. I replaced everything on the front and rear suspension on my 68 convert. It wandered and was "darty" before I did the rebuild. Biggest factor was getting the rear toe in adjusted. Seems like your car should handle better without resorting to changing to a rack and pinion system.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My car was rebuilt in the rear, and front, but still sloppy loose handling, and I had that box snug....just too many turns....and so I installed a rack '89 Grand Am winter 01-02.....before kits came out....a buddy fabbed up the mounts for me, been there since.....single greatest handling improvement besides the tires, followed by the cross support.....

Get notified of new replies

To Gear box vs rack

Quick Reply: Gear box vs rack