C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Steeroids - Worth the $ and best place to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Corvette Steeroids - Worth the $ and best place to buy?

Well...figured while I was freshening up the front and rear suspension(replacing with stock components), got to thinking about this Steeroids kit thats out there. Heard a lot of good things about it. It carries a pretty hefty price though. Any members that have it...is it worth it? My stock setup is sloppy and has a lot of play. One other thing Ive read about was clearance with headers. Has anyone with side pipes installed this kit. Curious to see if it fits without having to bend or hammer tubes? And lastly, Ecklers seems to offer the best price at $1579 but the discount codes they offer cant be used on that kit(go figure). Not sure if theres a forum discount or anyone else who sells it cheaper?

Last edited by austinseanchris; 12-10-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:11 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Winter 01=02 I did my own, same rack, '89 Grand Am rack from junkyard, grabbed a bunch of steering input linkages too......and made my own setup, been on there since......

The following users liked this post:
80-Vette (12-13-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 06:51 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Check out a Borgeson steering box for the Vette. Much more compact, less expensive and I like it better than the Steeroids.
The following users liked this post:
SH-60B (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 02:01 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 844 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by austinseanchris
Well...figured while I was freshening up the front and rear suspension(replacing with stock components), got to thinking about this Steeroids kit thats out there. Heard a lot of good things about it. It carries a pretty hefty price though. Any members that have it...is it worth it? My stock setup is sloppy and has a lot of play. One other thing Ive read about was clearance with headers. Has anyone with side pipes installed this kit. Curious to see if it fits without having to bend or hammer tubes? And lastly, Ecklers seems to offer the best price at $1579 but the discount codes they offer cant be used on that kit(go figure). Not sure if theres a forum discount or anyone else who sells it cheaper?
I'm rebuilding a 1970 Coupe and went with Steeroids Rack & Pinion and the Shark Bite rear suspension. Both are very well made and pretty easy to install, even for a novice like myself. I too had to consider 49 year old worn out parts and did desire better handling ( arguments aside ) so I chose to modernize.
The Steeroids clears standard exhaust manifolds and on their website there are some Header recommendations, I'm currently considering Sanderson products and potentially their cast header option.
I have a ways to go in my rebuild but I think all will be Ok with my choices.

Btw, I have found Steeroids tech support very helpful.

Last edited by caskiguy; 12-11-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 AM
big mort
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in the process of installing the Borgerson unit and headers on my C3. I had to dimple one of the pipes as it was barely touching the side of box housing and I wanted space there. Very slight dimpling with a few smacks of a ball peen, really not a big deal.

Not Steeroids but since someone mentioned it, figured I'd say that.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:10 AM
WARVETT
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with Steeriods as well. I really like the modern update. My long tube headers also clear without any modifications.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:20 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

just about every modern sports car produced today has R&P, this system has the least possibility for slack. I built a DIY R&P system for my car and will say its one of the best upgrades I've done to the car as far as steering goes.

Your question was specifically about first hand information on the Steroids system, I do not have first hand info on that system as I did not install one on my car.

I would say that the conversion is well worth the money,

Neal

Last edited by chevymans 77; 12-12-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

We offer Corvette forum members a 10% discount. Just give our sales people a call and tell them your forum name to get the discount. 866-338-1548

Last edited by Speed Direct; 12-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM
ndmick
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I also did the Borgeson steering box ,Man I`m happy with it.Whole different car.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:52 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Thanks for everyones input. So after checking their tech page, looks like I am gonna have to put a “dimple” in the 1st driver side header tube. Its showing the side pipes that I have needing this for clearance. After doing more in depth research, Ive read where some people say they fit w/o alterations and others say Its “more then a dimple”. Kinda confused as to the same setup is different from car to car if using the same components? Gonna do a little more digging before I pull the trigger. Idk, just not feeling the dimpling of a header tube. Looks like the same is necessary on the Borgeson box too...

Last edited by austinseanchris; 12-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:32 AM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Winter 01=02 I did my own, same rack, '89 Grand Am rack from junkyard, grabbed a bunch of steering input linkages too......and made my own setup, been on there since......
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I would really like to hear more about this. Did you happen to do a write up on this as you were going? Would like to see pictures of the finished product.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Austin,

It 100% depends on the headers you have. I have sidepipe headers on my 78 and also have the Borgeson box, i didnt have to dimple anything. I can send photos if you want. I also had long tube headers on at one point and those cleared for me with my borgeson.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:38 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VirginiaVette78
Austin,

It 100% depends on the headers you have. I have sidepipe headers on my 78 and also have the Borgeson box, i didnt have to dimple anything. I can send photos if you want. I also had long tube headers on at one point and those cleared for me with my borgeson.
Yea, if its not too much trouble, I'd love to see some pics of it installed!
Old 12-14-2019, 10:59 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 80-Vette
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I would really like to hear more about this. Did you happen to do a write up on this as you were going? Would like to see pictures of the finished product.
Age 75 here now, and I vaguely remember maybe posting a few pix, long ago, but sure they are gone by now....I extended the tie rods and got an adapter made to mate with the CTO rack, and keep the inner tie rod ends up in the air, I cut a crescent out of the rear outer most lower part of the left engine mount next to the frame to allow the rack to snuggle up with the input high enough to keep the angles minimal enough on the input universals.....there is no cross bracing on my install, as the frame is braced via a cross support between the A arms as usual......
Old 12-15-2019, 10:09 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

No Problem, I'll snap some tonight for you when i get home.

Last edited by VirginiaVette78; 12-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:32 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Here ya go! Let me know if ya want some different angles

Plenty of clearance!

Up near rag joint.. all the room you could need
Old 12-15-2019, 07:55 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 844 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by WARVETT
I went with Steeriods as well. I really like the modern update. My long tube headers also clear without any modifications.
What header brand did you choose ?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Steeroids - Worth the $ and best place to buy?

Old 12-16-2019, 12:35 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Doug's headers/sidepipes did NOT clear with Steeroids when I installed the headers. Had to bang the crap out of one of the tubes to make it work. Boy was I sore.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 12-16-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:14 AM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
Doug's headers/sidepipes did NOT clear with Steeroids when I installed the headers. Had to bang the crap out of one of the tubes to make it work. Boy was I sore.
What he said for Doug's!!!
Old 12-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaVette78
Austin,

Are those the stock 69 style sidepipes? It looks like the collector is below the box, and the pipes take a more block-hugging route.

On my 80, my Hooker sidepipe headers barely cleared the stock box (converted to manual steering). I doubt that the Borgeson in my 79 would have cleared it without a ding or two, but of course I didn't try. Photo below of the 80.

I'll second the opinion that the Borgeson completely transformed the car. I haven't tried a steering rack, but I have tried everything else!

Quick Reply: Corvette Steeroids - Worth the $ and best place to buy?