C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadrajet help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What part of the UK are you in? I used to see a yellow early 80's in Upton on Severn years ago when I would visit family there. Haven't seen it a round in a long time.

Can you also post a pic of the distributor. I'm thinking that they replaced the distributor with one that doesn't use the ECM and has vacuum advance.

I would look for a non ECM quadrajet carb from someone on this site that you can setup correctly. If Lars could sell you one, I believe his sets them up on a motor before shipment.

The motor looks like a factory replacement 350. Not a power house but much better place to start than the old 305.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 PM
trevbeadle
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But she is a looker!
The following 2 users liked this post by trevbeadle:
cardo0 (03-27-2020), Jebbysan (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:01 PM
trevbeadle
Intermediate

Hi Dave, this is the dissy that's currently on it!..I'm in Essex, 50 miles NE of London.

I have sourced a suitable Quadrajet ( I think !)

Thanks

Old 03-27-2020, 01:08 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Seeing as you are overseas and parts are not easy to find.....I would most certainly delete the electronic portion of this car and go to a 1979 setup....if your non-ECM carb you sourced works well....then I would swap out the distributor for a 1979 spec unit and be done with it all....and do the “street custom” look on the engine....
My reason for this is that the CCC system is enough trouble here in the states....over there you have even less to zero support for it in the event of running issue....
Going backward one year will yield you a stone reliable unit....that is proven.
The car will run with the computer carb unplugged but you will always have a check engine light.....
Another thing is that the engine will respond much better with a properly curved 79’ distributor as the CCC unit had some rather **** timing parameters programmed into it.

Car looks very nice BTW.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 03-27-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:17 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

trev I can tell you are serious about this so I searched the UK for american carbs and found a couple with reasonable prices.

realsteal.co.uk has Holley and even Holley spreadbore carbs along with Edelbrock Performer AFB copies.

https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?...ry&path=41_151 has Edelbrodk Performer AFB copies for almost the same price as here in the U.S..

Sorry, no qjets though so you would have to make some linkage and fuel line changes to swap.

hope this can help.
The following users liked this post:
Jebbysan (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cardo0
trev I can tell you are serious about this so I searched the UK for american carbs and found a couple with reasonable prices.

realsteal.co.uk has Holley and even Holley spreadbore carbs along with Edelbrock Performer AFB copies.

https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?...ry&path=41_151 has Edelbrodk Performer AFB copies for almost the same price as here in the U.S..

Sorry, no qjets though so you would have to make some linkage and fuel line changes to swap.

hope this can help.
The Holley spreadbore is a viable alternative and works very well.

Jebby
Old 03-29-2020, 02:47 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Looks like the distributor on the car doesn't have a vacuum advance. If this is the case then the distributor on the car is made to work with the ECM also.

If you're going to go the route of non ECM (recommended) unless you do a full after market fuel injection like the Holley Sniper you have to consider there things.

Carb - replace with a pre 81 carb (80 350 engine vettes did not have the ECM). I prefer the Rochester as it can be tuned for the car, fits the air cleaner. Cliff Ruggles at Cliffs Performance can supply tuning parts and I believe Lars on here can also but would need to confirm.

Distributor - Need a pre 80 HEI distributor with the older module and vacuum advance

Transmission - If the car has a turbo 350C which includes a lockup converter offered on 80 and up cars to gain a bit extra mileage. The ECM controls this on your car. You can disable this or find the parts from a non ECM 80 carif you wnat to keep. On my 80 L82 I removed the pan and removed the lockup solenoid when changing the filter. I have since installed a 5 speed.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:44 PM
Yadkin
Race Director

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree the '81 CCC system is nutty but the reality is, not as complex as most would believe. After the PO had zero knowledge of it and had the Qjet running unplugged for years, the dizzy swapped out for a rusty mess. I got the entire system running:
  • Rebuilt the carb myself. It is wickedly complicated but I took my time and plenty of digital photos.
  • Got a billet, computer controlled dizzy online for less than $100.
  • Went through the factory shop manual troubleshooting diaphragms and found out that the ECU was burned out. Sitting next to an un-vented battery? Who would have thought? $82 from Autozone.
  • Put in a new O2 sensor from O'Reillys, $24.
  • All the emissions systems,: air pump, EGR, do not "talk" to the CCC and can be removed.
  • Remove the catalytic converter and the stupid Y-pipe.
  • Leave the PCV and EVAP systems since they are easy to service, benefit you in reduced oil consumption and a lot less stink going down the road. I've even retrofitted my '64 car with they work so well and reduce most of the nasty emissions.
The alternative would have been far easier but I like a challenge.
  • After market carb.
  • Older GM dizzy or new aftermarket.
  • abandon the lock-up on the transmission.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:12 AM
trevbeadle
Intermediate

Hi Dave,
not sure which the distributor is but it does has vacuum advance.

I've fitted the fresh carb, so it's on and the car started first time after about 5 seconds of cranking. Seems to idle well, certainly better than the old one, and revs. Just need to sort out the electric choke keylive feed.

As far as I am aware (or would I notice?), the car does not have lockup converter. Its 3 speed.

Yadkin and Swampeast Mike: I have fitted a 'manual' carb . Quadrajet 17085226 ; 1566 HLY.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:45 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by trevbeadle
Hi Dave,
not sure which the distributor is but it does has vacuum advance.

I've fitted the fresh carb, so it's on and the car started first time after about 5 seconds of cranking. Seems to idle well, certainly better than the old one, and revs. Just need to sort out the electric choke keylive feed.

As far as I am aware (or would I notice?), the car does not have lockup converter. Its 3 speed.

Yadkin and Swampeast Mike: I have fitted a 'manual' carb . Quadrajet 17085226 ; 1566 HLY.
Please go back and install washers on those carb hold down bolts......
What carb base gasket did you use?

Jebby
Old 03-30-2020, 07:46 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

OK now see the distributor was swapped. Looks like you're well on your way.

The car may have the 350C trans with lockup disabled or they also put in a non lockup turbo 350 trans. They are the same 3 speed auto except for the lock up of the converter so no worries.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

It looks like you have an adjustable vacuum advance, possibly an Accel 31035. See if you an find a part number on the advance can, and the directions online. If you haven't already, email @lars for his timing papers. With a hand vacuum pump and a dial-back timing light, and perhaps some advance springs, you should be able to tune your ignition pretty well.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:58 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bikespace
It looks like you have an adjustable vacuum advance, possibly an Accel 31035. See if you an find a part number on the advance can, and the directions online. If you haven't already, email @lars for his timing papers. With a hand vacuum pump and a dial-back timing light, and perhaps some advance springs, you should be able to tune your ignition pretty well.

A well curved and timed 350 using a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor will give better performance then the CCC controlled unit.....

Jebby
Old 03-30-2020, 09:15 AM
trevbeadle
Intermediate

Jebby,

Thanks, will do that! (back 2 had, front 2 hadn't got them on dismantling) What torque should be used (if any) Not a lot I would guess?
I used the base gasket supplied with the carb - a similar thickness to the old one..
This distributor is available in UK if I need a replacement:
https://www.corvettekingdom.co.uk/pa...rformance/7602

Quick Reply: Quadrajet help