C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'70 parking lamp/ turn signal/ ground questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:32 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '70 parking lamp/ turn signal/ ground questions

Got a head-scratcher here. Been putting together the '70 454 convertible find and had two evidently common C3 issues:

1) Right dash signal indicator goes on with the headlights
2) Front parking lamps wouldn't work. If I take out both the front passenger side turn signals (front and side corner) the interior turn signal indicator goes off.)

I looked for grounds and cleaned the lower driver's side radiator one. I found a ground wire from the upper support at the nose was clipped at about 3 inches off, but couldn't find where it might go to.
After cleaning the connections in the bulb holders, I got both front parking lamps working along with turn signals, but with the interior indicator still on. Playing with things and testing for grounds, I lost the passenger side parking lamp, but the turn signal still works fine. The side corner signal lamp is very dim, though. Can't get the parking lamp on that side to work again, and swapping bulbs produces the same issue.

If I put a ground wire directly to the battery and wedge it into the vertical ground of the turn/parking lamp, it does nothing to help. I think I'm losing power at that connector, maybe, along with bad ground?

And where should that center nose ground go?

Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,254 Likes on 972 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you attach a wire to a good ground and touch the other end to the brass part of the bulb socket what happens?

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 10-15-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
If you attach a wire to a good ground and touch the other end to the brass part of the bulb socket what happens?
When I tried it earlier, a whole lot of nothing. I can't remember the sequence of other things I tried. I will try it again tomorrow and see if I get a different result.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:54 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

We're back in business. Actually I feel stupid, as it was something I should have caught (and would have if it wasn't one of a hundred different things on which I was working.) Turns out the ground wire had been pulled out entirely from the passenger side parking lamp. I wired one directly from the lamp ground pin to the ground wire at the nose.

Get notified of new replies

To '70 parking lamp/ turn signal/ ground questions

Quick Reply: '70 parking lamp/ turn signal/ ground questions