C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty turning right

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 12:33 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Difficulty turning right

I'm having difficulty with right hand turns only. Left hand turns are perfectly normal. Right hand turns fell like the power steering assist isn't working at all. I've checked the fluid level and it's fine (couldn't see low level causing the problem anyway).
I checked the balance of the control valve no problem there.
The car doesn't pull to either direction when driving.
The control valve was replaced a few months ago with a rebuilt unit from a respected vendor. The cylinder is about 1 year old and was a new cylinder. All lines were replaced at about the same time as the cylinder. Last wheel alignment was only a few months ago also.

Anyone had this before? Any ideas what could be wrong?
Old 09-09-2019, 01:03 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Antz81
I'm having difficulty with right hand turns only. Left hand turns are perfectly normal. Right hand turns fell like the power steering assist isn't working at all. I've checked the fluid level and it's fine (couldn't see low level causing the problem anyway).
I checked the balance of the control valve no problem there.
The car doesn't pull to either direction when driving.
The control valve was replaced a few months ago with a rebuilt unit from a respected vendor. The cylinder is about 1 year old and was a new cylinder. All lines were replaced at about the same time as the cylinder. Last wheel alignment was only a few months ago also.

Anyone had this before? Any ideas what could be wrong?
Watch this video from the 6:30 sec mark. Shows you how to balance the control value.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,338 Likes on 3,940 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

The only other thing I can think of is the steering box itself is binding internally. Jack up the front end to get he tires off the ground and see if its still there. If it is, Try disconnecting the power steering from the from at the end of the rod and see if the problem is still there again.

If the problem cant be replicated in the air start checking the tierod ends while its up just to make sure nothing is binding then I would have to assume the power assist is some how failing on one side
Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

The P/S control valve could be malfunctioning in one direction, only. plugged-up orifice, internal leak, etc.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 AM
Antz81
Pro

Liftee the front off the ground today and some checks. Even off the ground it's harder to turn right than left. Doesn't matter if I'm at center or full lock. I disconnected one end of the power steering cylinder and check again and the problem was gone.
Tried pulling the rod in and out and found it was harder to push the rod in. Which made sense as the rod moves in when turning right. That leaves me with something in the cylinder or the valve is causing my problem. As I checked the balance on Sunday I'm thinking the cylinder so my next step will be disconnect the cylinder to check if it's the valve causing the extra resistance or the cylinder.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (09-11-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Antz81
Pro

Thought i had this sorted after a flush of the system and a re-balance of the valve. but the problem has returned. but with no assist or very little when stationary.
I'm thinking it must be one of two things. The power steering pump is failing, and possibly a loose nyloc nut on the PSCV. I plan to pull the pump some time over the weekend to inspect it unless any one has any better ideas?
Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,642 Posts

This issue will be hard to narrow down: PSCV or the Cylinder? I doubt its the pump at fault because the pump is not bias about right turns or left.
With the cylinder disconnected at the frame bracket end, the piston / rod should remain centered or neutral when the vehicle is started. You will need a helper to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock while you lay underneath and observe the cyl movement. (or lack of)
I suspect the cyl is at fault, due to the brand new CV. Might be a burr on the chrome rod is preventing full expand / contract. When the rod is completely extended, shut the engine off and do a thorough inspection with a bright light looking for defects on the chrome.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 12-04-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:30 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem, tried everything to fix but nothing works
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM
Antz81
Pro

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
I have the same problem, tried everything to fix but nothing works
I guess I'll let you know when I find out what's causing it.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

I have done everyting you did,
Old 12-04-2019, 10:56 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

it also happened when I replaced the control valve, makes me wonder

Get notified of new replies

To Difficulty turning right