C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed up ... maybe...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I screwed up ... maybe...

Hey all, it's me again, the fella who keeps learning the hard way....
So I was at a buddy's house so we could mock up some custom brackets for my cheapo sidepipes... got a gameplan, helped him bleed some truck brakes, and off I went.

I backed out of his driveway - shifted into first - and started on my way..
First, second, brake for a stopsign.. but it didnt leave second and had to stomp brakes to get it to stop.. I live a block away so I decided I was gonna limp it home...
Let off the brake and damn near spin the tires without me hitting the gas..
Another stop sign and same thing.. I shift into N to see if it will help - nothing, I throw it back into 3 and cross the street into my driveway, threw into N so I could coast into my garage without going through it..
Checked my lockdown cable, its attached and functioning as far as I can tell (is there a way to test it?)
It was very very low on trans fluid..
I'm hoping that it's as simple as add some fluid and all will be right. I have some on order (nobody carries dexron III near me)..
Thoughts and opinions??

Also, if anyone is running sidepipes with long tube headers - can you send me some underside pics please? Thanks all!!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:21 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Also forgot to mention that I'm sitting at a constant 4500 rpm so I'm really not trying to start it much!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaVette78
Also forgot to mention that I'm sitting at a constant 4500 rpm so I'm really not trying to start it much!
I hope your clutches are ok , very easy to burn them out !!!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:02 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,349 Posts

You are missing a third pedal to the left of the brake pedal.

But seriously, check that your throttle return springs are intact, and function check them with the air cleaner off.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Originally Posted by bazza77
I hope your clutches are ok , very easy to burn them out !!!
Yeah, me too!!

Originally Posted by Bikespace
You are missing a third pedal to the left of the brake pedal.

But seriously, check that your throttle return springs are intact, and function check them with the air cleaner off.
Ha, I couldn't agree more.. but the deal with the wife was that if I bought a corvette, it had to be an automatic so she could drive it....
I'll function check everything tonight when i get home.. found a nice leak from the transmission pan last night that explains where my fluid went.. i just put a new gasket on the darned thing too!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:28 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

well thats why it spun the tires without touching the gas...check to make sure all linkages are moving correctly and nothing is stuck wide open.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
well thats why it spun the tires without touching the gas...check to make sure all linkages are moving correctly and nothing is stuck wide open.
10-4. Should I be looking anywhere other than where the trans/accel connect to carb?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:34 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Update: I checked the cables and dont see any binding anywhere. Trans fluid is good and wasn't as bad as i thought to begin with (a bit low but not bad enough to make a difference - checking when its light out helps!!)
I dont think it's a transmission issue now because it's super high rpm when the car is in park, N, or in gear..
I cant imagine it being a throttle plate issue because it drove fine over to his house..

Could a vacuum cause that high of an RPM jump?
I'm at a loss here.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:42 PM
28buick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try disconnecting the throttle cable and starting it. if it idles normal its in your linkage.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:37 AM
shenango
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 141 Posts

If your carb still has the AC idle solenoid make sure it is not causing the problem. This solenoid will cause all kinds of rpm problems if not operating correctly.
Jerry
Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Originally Posted by 28buick
Try disconnecting the throttle cable and starting it. if it idles normal its in your linkage.
no go on that - no binding in linkage. good thought though!

Originally Posted by shenango
If your carb still has the AC idle solenoid make sure it is not causing the problem. This solenoid will cause all kinds of rpm problems if not operating correctly.
Jerry
I do not have one. I tried the old "plastic bag to block air" method yesterday, and it worked - when i blocked air from getting into the carb, it starved out. So its gotta be vac somewhere (i think)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:31 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

I tried the old "plastic bag to block air" method yesterday, and it worked - when i blocked air from getting into the carb, it starved out. So its gotta be vac somewhere (i think)
If the engine dies when you block the air into the carb, that means you don't have a leak. If it continued to run, THEN you would have leak.
Think about it for sec and it will make sense.
Good luck finding the cause.......
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If you have an automatic choke make sure the choke high idle cam isn't sticking and holding the throttle open.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

78? q-jet? back barrels and air flapper on top closed? hrd to get 4500 rpms without being able to see the gap-hole that is acting as an IAC. brake vacuum hose? OK, idle air uncontrolled...
Old 07-22-2019, 08:25 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmans vette
If the engine dies when you block the air into the carb, that means you don't have a leak. If it continued to run, THEN you would have leak.
Think about it for sec and it will make sense.
Good luck finding the cause.......
Yep, makes perfect sense! Thanks!

Originally Posted by stumpshot
If you have an automatic choke make sure the choke high idle cam isn't sticking and holding the throttle open.
So part of my issue was the choke - everyone kept telling me to check it, and i did and thought it was OK - but once i garnered the courage to actually hit the throttle and watch what the choke was doing, thats when i noticed what was happening.. the choke plate was opening, but not quite to 90 degrees.. there was not MUCH left to open, but enough to cause some of the high idle.. still working on whats causing the rest though

Originally Posted by derekderek
78? q-jet? back barrels and air flapper on top closed? hrd to get 4500 rpms without being able to see the gap-hole that is acting as an IAC. brake vacuum hose? OK, idle air uncontrolled...
No longer running the Q-jet.. running an edelbrock performer intake with a Holley 650 600 cfm single intake carb.

Get notified of new replies

To I screwed up ... maybe...

Quick Reply: I screwed up ... maybe...