C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling question on my 81

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:21 PM
66ca
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cooling question on my 81

I’ve been doing a little searching and reading today and wondering if I’m missing something on mine.
On mine there is like a 3” gap between the radiator and condensor. You can see down from the top support between the 2. Is there something supposed to be there to help seal it off?

it seems like some of the things I’ve been reading have said air just blows around the condenser and doesn’t get sucked through by the fan if this is all open. Is this true or am I misunderstanding what I read? If it’s supposed to be, can someone give me some info on how to fix this. Pictures maybe.
Im also wondering if my fan clutch is any good. It seems to free spin a little too easy.
Has anyone switched from the 5 blade to the 7 blade and seen any improvement?
Old 07-14-2019, 01:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

If you have the stock thermostatic fan, the clutch unit must be good or it won't cool, no matter how many blades are on the fan. To check the clutch action, get your car warmed up completely, so that the thermo clutch should be in operating mode. Stop car, open hood, and watch the fan action as you turn off the ignition. If the fan stops rotating after just 2-3 rotations, the clutch is operating as it should. If it just keeps spinning, the clutch is no good....or it's not hot enough for it to work. Either way, at that time, it is doing little to draw cool air through the radiator.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:51 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,646 Posts

The three inch gap? Mine is like that too. So lets just call that normal.

You can insert a compressed air blow gun wand down in there and clean out the bugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling question on my 81

Quick Reply: Cooling question on my 81