C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory C4 TPI vs Modern EFI kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I had plans to use a stealthram with my setup but it wouldnt fit under a stock hood and then I got a deal on fastburn heads.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:08 PM
tjs0385
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into the same options and ended up going with Sniper EFI even though I have all the components, except fuel system and ECM, for TPI. Time for installation was the deciding factor for me because I barely have any.

If you decide to go with TPI, I'd look into Dynamic EFI for your ECM. Bob is great and the cost is only around $500 for an ECM without the need to burn chips. Also, message me if you're interested in the TPI setup I have from an 85 Corvette which was still made for the same heads as C3 sbc.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

GM originally designed TPI for their 305 engine. When upsized to the 15% larger 350 engine, airflow became very marginal, hence the reputation as a torque monster low rpm engine. To make it perform in a 350 you need to go through it from front to back for more airflow. This includes:
1) A 52mm (minimum) throttle body
2) A ported plenum
3) Better flowing heads (vortec seem well matched to a moderate performance street engine)
4) A MUCH improved baseplate (Scroggins-Dickey made to fit vortec heads)
5) Larger diameter intake runners
6) A higher lift cam(preferably roller lifters) with reasonable duration.
7) Headers (preferably tri-y)
8) Minimum 24 lb injectors
9) A good custom chip (if using the stock computer)

By the time you are done buying the parts (if you can still find them) you will have a substantial amount invested - probably more than any of the various advertised current EFI systems. The good thing is that you are using an all GM basic design. GM spent $$$$$$$$$ designing and testing it, and you can take advantage of this. Also, consumables and parts remain generally available, unlike some companies that have come and gone.

Having said that, If I were doing it again today, I'd be putting an LS engine into the car complete with GM injection system.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:05 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 781 Posts

[QUOTE=Rotonda;

Having said that, If I were doing it again today, I'd be putting an LS engine into the car complete with GM injection system.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-28-2019, 07:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If one decides to go tpi do not cam or gear it as you would a carbed car .
Gear/cam it like a truck thats how it will work best.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:40 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Superrams are stupid expensive these days, not much in the way of aftermarket bases around either .

Strokemyaxe davidfrederick in the C4 parts section converts the LT1 intake to use a distributor, those have big power potential. Miniram on the cheap
HEHE, I kind of surprised anyone does this commercially, as many many years ago, that's what I did, changed the TPI install out for my modified LT1 induction....with HEI up top because sparks and water don't mix well.......I cut up an old aluminum carb intake for the HEI mount, and a welder buddy installed bungs up front to put hoses into the remote stat housing behind radiator, up top.....kept the rear circulation same as on a TPI, flow wise,......a buddy is a welder, he can make aluminum stick to concrete.....so no sweat....
Old 06-29-2019, 03:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I have a few LT1 intakes here, one has the top cut off like to fool with them
Thought about extending the runners on one, raising the plenum and sticking a carb(or two) up top.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

I bought a C4 project car on the cheap a wile back. Somebody had installed a ZZ4 and used the TPI and it didn't run worth a darn. I took the car to a local Tuner and we figured it out most of the grounds were missing and or ripped out when they pulled the original Engine ! After that it was time for a quick tune the tech was very familiar with it. However he made it sound as though he was working on a museum piece. Gee, if I remember right we used to do it like this, oh I might have my notes up in this drawer, lets see whats on this windows 98 pc , there it is...…..I'm in the same boat I have an Accel Gen 7 set up and when Holley bought them out they killed the system. So another idea might be to use the Intake and all the hardware but use a modern aftermarket ECM to run the show. The TPI gets a bad rap for being high on torque but low on HP but stop light to stoplight they work well and are great on an autocross track.

Quick Reply: Factory C4 TPI vs Modern EFI kits