C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leaks out of Charcoal canister

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:45 PM
sc1twntrbo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel leaks out of Charcoal canister

1981 corvette.
1/4 tank of gas

Car has been sitting since 1996 and the gas in the tank was old and think. So I replaced the fuel tank and sending unit with a new one. I got the car started up and after after I got it up and running I noticed fuel dumping out of the canister. From my understanding fuel should never make it to the canister and since I have so little gas in the tank It’s not over filled. Any recommendations on where I should start on getting this fixed? I also finished hooking up the vacuum lines they left off. Could I have one hooked up to the wrong spot?

Last edited by sc1twntrbo; 04-30-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:07 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Could it be that the tank is not vented properly. An 81 will not have a vented cap so it should vent through the canister but this should only be vapor. If the gas cap is not on tight does this solve the problem?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:54 PM
L82Ray
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If the tank is not full there should not be any fuel traveling to the canister, could it be residual fuel or water/fuel? The vent line doesn’t go into the tank.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 PM
sc1twntrbo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveL82
Could it be that the tank is not vented properly. An 81 will not have a vented cap so it should vent through the canister but this should only be vapor. If the gas cap is not on tight does this solve the problem?
I believe they gave me a vented cap when I bought it. When I took the cap off completely it didn’t push out as much

Originally Posted by L82Ray
If the tank is not full there should not be any fuel traveling to the canister, could it be residual fuel or water/fuel? The vent line doesn’t go into the tank.
It was a bunch of fuel that came out. And by a bunch I mean maybe 4 ounces.

Since the vent line isn’t submerged I can’t even figure out what would push gas that directions. From my understanding it would need to be from the tank or the carb.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The vapor canister only receives vapors from the tank by way of the fuel separator gizmo on the side of the fuel tank. Did the new tank have that on it? Did you replace it? That little unit prevents raw fuel from leaking out of the tank, should the vehicle get involved with a roll-over accident. It also prevent raw fuel from getting to the vapor line if the tank is overfilled or sloshes to the left when turning right.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-02-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel leaks out of Charcoal canister

Quick Reply: Fuel leaks out of Charcoal canister