C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 04:53 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer

Is this a hard job, is it just to replace the pump? No sound when you use the control?
Any advice?
Old 11-03-2002, 05:47 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer (TFranchini)

The job of replacing the pump is very easy, something that just about anyone can do. Before you go there, are you sure the pump is bad? The pump is energized by a small solonoid under the pump cap. You should be able to hear the solenoid activate when the wiper switch is pushed. Some of the things to check for, if you don't get any activation of the washer is:

1. wiper door fully open and the switch on the passenger side of the firewall is depressed
2. the switches under the steering column are in the normal, unergized postion.
3. the single (red?) wire at the bottom, left side of the windshield wiper motor is connected.

Of course, it could be just a failed pump, but you would at least hear the solenoid click on and the wiper trying to work.
Gary
Old 11-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: 69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer (TFranchini)

The 69 WS wiper and pump is unique....one year only I believe. You won't be able to just go out and buy another. Project pumps on EBAY sell for well over $100.00. :) If the problem is "external"....electrical TO the pump, you can likely find the cause. If the problem is "internal", the pump can be rebuilt/restored. Check to see that the motor is grounded too. Chuck
Old 11-05-2002, 12:05 AM
noskillz
Racer

Default Re: 69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer (Chuck Gongloff)

Chuck - Didn't the 69 use a 5 port washer pump as apposed to a 3? I have a rebuilt pump on mine and it has just 3. Much of the pump plastic has gotten very brittle. I often see the headlight washer selenoid snaped off the pump body.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:59 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: 69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer (noskillz)

The 5 port pump is 1970 till ??. The 69 pump is a "2 part" pump. It has 3 ports on the windshield washer side. That "side" is connected to a separate headlight washer system which has 2 ports. The headlight washer side has it's own little solenoid/etc. That washer is mounted on the drivers side of the wiper motor. I've seen just the headlight washer system selling for well over $100.00 at flea markets....unrestored.

You can use a 5 port pump. They're getting tough to find too. This is one of those "unique" items that you just won't find in a repro catalog. The 5 port pump has 5 nipples, all on one side. Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Gongloff, 4:00 AM 11/5/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To 69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer

Quick Reply: 69 corvette Fix the Windshield Washer