C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting composite leaf spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Toadfree
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting composite leaf spring

Hi there
i need to lower my car because the new composite spring makes it site 2-3 inches higher but the longer bolts will hit my wheels and or tires because of the edge of spring
can I cut off 1/2 to 3/4 inch off?
if so what should it be cut with ?
thanks I am an amateur big time
Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Doesn't the end of the spring have a metal reinforcement around the hole?
where did you buy this spring?
people use longer bolts all the time with composite springs so it doesn't make sense that say an 8" bolt would hit the wheel if your camber is correctly set.

Last edited by MelWff; 02-06-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Toadfree
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Doesn't the end of the spring have a metal reinforcement around the hole?
where did you buy this spring?
people use longer bolts all the time with composite springs so it doesn't make sense that say an 8" bolt would hit the wheel if your camber is correctly set.

yes around the hole hole but not at the ends because of the wheels that are on it I was told it will hit the tire
or put 3/8 wheel spacers on
Old 02-06-2019, 06:17 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

weird
Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know I would not modify the hole due to possible fear of casing the spring to fatigue and split in time. ,maybe I am over thinking it. But with my luck if I did it I would have to buy the customer a new spring and have to deal with this stuff all over again.

IF I used a spacer. I then would ALSO have to either look to make 100% sure the lug nuts would still grip with enough threads. IF NOT....then I would install longer wheel studs like I have done before.

DUB
Old 02-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I would ask the manufacturer first and or the vendor.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:43 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Sounds like you have the wrong backspacing on your wheels. Cutting the spring is the wrong thing to do.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Some of these aftermarket monosprings were not engineered 'well'. When installed and compressed under normal loading, some springs may be wider (or narrower) than the stock spring dimension. You need to have clearance between the end of the spring and the inside wall of the tire...especially when making a hard turn that will move one of the rear tires inward as it rolls thru the turn. But, there shouldn't be much movement if the end of the spring is near the rim of the steel wheel.

Cutting any material from the end of the spring enhances the probability of weakening the spring and resulting in a stress failure. Do what you think is necessary, but 'adjust' it as little as possible.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:20 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,349 Posts

If it's a NOS VB&P spring, I doubt you'd have these issues, but they did custom cut their springs before they went out of business. Mine was cut, by VB&P, and redrilled, on one side only. If it's a Van Steel spring, call them, perhaps they have a solution. I'd really like to know, since I see this being a big problem in the future with over curved repro springs.

If it is a different aftermarket spring, I don't know what to suggest. Perhaps cut it in half and call Van Steel.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:55 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I've been down this road before. I wrote a thread about my experience.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-spring.html

Craiig

My spring was purchased from Van Steel. It is a 330# spring. I had them cut an inch off of each end of it. Just not enough clearance for my set up so I cut it another inch.

Last edited by Street Rat; 02-08-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
If it's a NOS VB&P spring, I doubt you'd have these issues, but they did custom cut their springs before they went out of business. Mine was cut, by VB&P, and redrilled, on one side only. If it's a Van Steel spring, call them, perhaps they have a solution. I'd really like to know, since I see this being a big problem in the future with over curved repro springs.

If it is a different aftermarket spring, I don't know what to suggest. Perhaps cut it in half and call Van Steel.
‘yes call vanstell they have 1/2’’ A side shorter springs and 1’’ a side shorter
to help this sort of problem
bfit
Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'll be honest and say I cut my VB&P spring to allow for wider wheels about 7 years ago and haven't had any issues at this point. I removed the end reinforcements, cut the spring, re-drilled the hole, and put the reinforcements back on. Thinking about it today, I probably wouldn't do it again and would order a shorter spring, but i was younger and didn't have the money to buy a new spring after I paid for new wheels and tires.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:55 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Toadfree

yes around the hole hole but not at the ends because of the wheels that are on it I was told it will hit the tire
or put 3/8 wheel spacers on
What do you mean you "were told"? You havent tried the spring with longer bolts and your wheels?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace

I have an original VB&P spring on my car from around 2003, 10" bolts hit the c5 zo6 wheels I had on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting composite leaf spring

Quick Reply: Cutting composite leaf spring