C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help picking a cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Averystingray75
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan

It is impossible to put a camshaft in a small block Chevrolet without “cracking it open”.
You need to do a lot of research on your engine and learn how it works.

Jebby

this is is my 6th sbc I’ve been playing around with them for 10 years now I’m well aware how they work. I’ve had them completely apart and back together before. I’m just shortening what I’m saying to keep things on topic of just a cam selection
Old 02-02-2019, 10:29 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

So youre aware you may float spring early? Those are old...spgins are cheap just do them check for coilbind.
Many yrs ago I was told I could run a 280 cam on the older springs....well it ran good up to 5k then felt like someone let off the gas never could figure it out (too young)
Buddies car with the indenticla motor pulled harder everwhere right up to 6500. It really does make a diference.

Even if the springs are within "lift" or clearnce ok if the new cam is opening or closing the valves quicker, holding them open longer..you get the idea

Last edited by cv67; 02-02-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:51 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Again, replacing springs and seals do not require head removal.
A very simple procedure IMO compared to replacing and degreeing a cam.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m sorry guys I understand the stress for springs,
but I really don’t care that much this is a TENPORARY engine.
i want to toss a 100$ cam into it I have all the gaskets and stuff spare in my shop
and just run it.
if the springs float I really don’t even care.
this engine might not see more than 1000mile and maybe 10 hours runtime over the course of a year
I really don’t drive my car that much I live in a state with terrible weather and I work 50 hours a week in the summer
this is just a spare engine I bought so I can still ... if I want... drive my car becaus I love to drive it whenever I can.
but I don’t wanna drive a DOG the current engine is a vortec 400 hybrid I built myself and pulls like an empty freight train
id hate to disappoint myself while I save up the necessary $$$ and TIME to rebuild by 400 vortec (it needs a bore and new rings bad)

so to to sum it ip
i want to spend the absolute least amount of $ on this spare engine and save every single dime I can for the rebuild. And springs cut into that budget.
im hardly even sold on doing a cam at this rate I might not even do it but I know the stock 400 ‘882 are dogs with stock cam because this is my 3rd one I know.
a cam would make me happy
springs push my budget and I don’t want to do it.

Its important in the car world to set boundaries especially financial ones
i hope you all understand my financial boundaries
Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 252 Posts

If the boundaries are that tight, I wouldn't even waste any more time thinking about it.....install the stock 400 and save for a proper rebuild. You said it yourself above that you don't even drive it much and doubt it will see 1000 miles, don't waste your time....that my 2 cents
The following users liked this post:
Averystingray75 (02-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Need help picking a cam