C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my rear spring weak or frame bent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 AM
angecarl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my rear spring weak or frame bent?

The confusion has struck me again. With my earlier post (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html) about finding a weak front passenger spring that had 5 coil spacers in it, has since been replaced with new ones. However the car did not sit level. So I adjusted the rear spring with a longer bolt on the passenger side and shorter bolt on the driver side to get it level. This brings us to current, 6.0L LS swap completed and when dumping the clutch in 1st gear, the car takes a scary left turn that cannot be controlled. Hitting second gear it does the same. Being curious of cars weight with LS swap, a buddy of mine brought over his car scales and we noticed the car had over 200lbs more weight on the passenger rear vs drivers rear, 200lbs more on the drivers front than the passenger front. In hopes of finding the rear spring being the problem, we flipped it (pass side now driver side) and that made no difference in weight on scales or height of car. We readjusted the rear spring to get car within 60-80lbs right vs left side (pictures attached). Now the car is leaning terribly again to the passenger side, BUT drives a lot better, mostly without the scary left turn. Every measurement we take from the frame to the ground, the passenger side is the lowest. This was done with the car on jack stands and assuming the concrete is level. I may have access to a frame machine but really would not know where to begin. Do I need to replace the original spring? Everything looked OK with it (not broken).

Thanks AGAIN with any/all help.
Carl

car sits level

car leaning to pass side

Last edited by angecarl; 01-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:16 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 969 Posts

Did you correctly index the front springs in their respective pocket in the frame? If not installed correctly, the car will not sit level. Jerry
Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM
angecarl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I made sure the springs were indexed correctly when installed.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:25 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

any pictures of the rear spring including shots of the left and right spring to TA bolts?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,370 Likes on 3,953 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Remember. The engine is not directly in the center of the frame rails. That may put a little weight to the passenger that would be offset by a driver in the seat. the rearend is a weird thing, I agree. Putting it up on Jack's on a level floor may give you some useable info before going to a frame machine. Your rear leaf is connected to the diff which is connected to the crossmember which is connected to the 2 frame corners. If the frame is level, measure off the 2 axle stubs to see if the diff is square and work your way to the frame. It could be the crossmember is bent or the frame pockets are broken

Get notified of new replies

To Is my rear spring weak or frame bent?

Quick Reply: Is my rear spring weak or frame bent?