C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey everyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 07:53 PM
Atomic Fusion
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey everyone

Hey guys (and gals),

I admit it... I'm guilty of being an nooby newbie. My name's Adam, and I'm a real stereo freak. I'm 18, I've been doing car, home and pro audio since I was 11 or 12, but just recently have I gotten the itch for a good car. Once upon a time I planted my eyes on a 3rd gen corvette, and man did I love that baby... Ever since, I've been trying to come up with the money to find a half decent 70's vette to finish up and trick out, and just enjoy life in that beauty, listening to Pink Floyd on a beautiful stereo :D

I've got my eye on a 1977 that I found locally, I'm not completely sure if I'm going to get it yet, though. I've got a few mechanic buddies, who are going to help me with this long and expensive project. Beyond stroking the engine to a 383, I'm really not sure where else to go and what other mods I can put on these babies. I'm also considering buying a brand new 350 HO from a Chevy dealership and stroking it.

I'll admit to you right now... I'm not nearly as knowledgable of cars as I should be and would like to be. I'm not an idiot, I know how to change a flat, I know how an engine works and I know what a header is, but when people start talking to me about the little details of it, that's where I start to get lost. You know what I mean... Sadly, the devil is in the details with cars, as it is with stereos, and that's where I'm lacking. I'll try my best not to be a lame newbie who doesn't know squat, but hopefully you'll bare with me a little... :p: Maybe I can swap you guys some vette knowledge for some stereo knowledge. :)

Anyway, this looks like a great board, I hope it's warm and personable here.

Adam

[Modified by Atomic Fusion, 11:57 PM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 08:04 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hey everyone (Atomic Fusion)

Welcome aboard Atomic....You have come to the right place to find out about a Corvette. Feel free to ask any question and you will probally get a reply soon.

Hope your Corvette purchase works out and be sure to let us know.

There are a lot of people here about your age, and I am sure they will enjoy swapping info. on stereos.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:12 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: Hey everyone (bamavettes)

A big hello to a fellow Vette enthusiast and Canadian!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:16 PM
Atomic Fusion
Cruising

Default Re: Hey everyone (bamavettes)

Beautiful car man, I love the hood.

It'll be a while before I get one looking like that. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think mine has the chrome bumpers, the 77's are plastic if I remember... Which kind of sucks. Perhaps I can get them changed. My friend is coming out on saturday with me to take another look at this thing, to check for rust that I may have missed and the general condition of the car.

Is that the factory paint job?

I'm trying to find out what colour this is...

Nobody knows the name, but the people I have talked to are pretty sure it was a factory paint job. Unfortunately, the only two blue colours I can get out of the Chevy "empire" are two codes, which are code 28 and 26 I believe, I guess tags for certain colours. I have no way of knowing what they actually look like.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the welcome.

Adam
Old 10-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Bullyj
Burning Brakes

I bought a 77 myself It's more of a touring car as opposed to the chrome bumpers. the chrome bumpers had hp staight from the factory. I plan on doing a few mods as money permits. Either way you go you'll love it.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:30 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, welcome to to forum.

I am 23 had my vette for 2 years. I was in the same boat, I knew how an engine worked and what a header was but as for the details that took some time and I am nowhere near the level some of these guys are at.

You will find all the help you would need to fix/upgrade your possible purchase.

As for chrome bumpers they stopped in 73. In 73 it has a rear chrome bumper and "plastic" front. I wouldn't even think about trying to convert a 74+ to chrome. It just wouldn't be worth it IMO. I still haven't decided on what stereo to put in mine, but when I go that route perhaps you can provide some insight.

:cheers:
Old 10-29-2002, 08:31 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Hey everyone (Bullyj)

welcome aboard ,youve come to right place to learn and dont be afraid to ask questions,someone usally will have the right answer.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:32 PM
erika1977
Instructor

hi adam.....welcome aboard.....if there is one thing these guys are, it's helpful...and believe me, i ask the same questions over and over, and they don't get aggravated!!!!!!!!!........these guys live for this sh**!!!!!!!!!!.
ok..now its your turn to get bugged.......can i make a box to house two 8" subs AND still have room for my t-tops?......i will put component speakers up front, and a mp3 harddrive in cargo box. :seeya
Old 10-29-2002, 08:32 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

:seeya Welcome :cheers: Something to think about you could with some help (and money) change it to a chrome bumper car! :yesnod: Just a thought. :D
Old 10-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Martin72
Instructor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you will find that most are a friendly bunch....

Good luck in finding the vette you want....

:seeya
Old 10-29-2002, 08:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Atomic, BEST car stereo....easy, same as home stereo....McIntosh.....

maybe a Clarion head end....

GENE
Old 10-29-2002, 11:56 PM
Atomic Fusion
Cruising

Default Re: Hey everyone (mrvette)

Great cars guys... Just awesome... It should be fun here :D

If you ahve any audio questions, just e-mail me...

atomic-fusion@rogers.com

Adam
Old 10-30-2002, 12:27 AM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome,
That is a cool looking c3. The color is not original. I was first thinking it was admiral blue (a c4 color), but it looks a bit more like a cobalt blue. Kinda hard to tell with the pic. I wouldn't worry much about it being an original color if you plan on doing any modifications to it. If you are checking for rust be sure and check the windshield pillars and the frame rails around the rear wheel. Poke around at it with a screw driver to make sure it is solid. Feel free to post pics for a thorough CF inspection. You can also use the neighbor locator to try and find a knowledgable member to check it out with you...the folks here are always willing to help.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:48 AM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

Good to have you on board...no pun intended :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . i have a stereo question. why would my Amp constantly go into protection mode.....what could i look for out of the ordinary. its not the fuse....its internal i figured that out. once its goes into protection mode amp dies. but i can unplug the fuse and plug it back in and it will work for a short while.......it last less if i turn it up!!! what could be?

Rod :cool:
Old 10-30-2002, 03:05 AM
Stevo81
Pro

Welcome...this is the right place. We ALL have questions about mechanical stuff...even when the pros get right to it, it becomes a matter of opinion...one prefers this, one prefers that...
A stereo question. I dropped and broke my JVC faceplate, ordered another, but I plugged it in and there doesn't seem to be any power there. Do I need to program the new faceplate or should it just plug-n-go?? The original book doesn't say and no paperwork came with the new one...thanks :seeya
Old 10-30-2002, 07:12 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Welsome to the Corvette Mecca. In the evening though We all turn facing toward Bowling Green and chant "Big Block, Big Block". :lol: :lol:

Len
Old 10-30-2002, 07:13 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

:seeya Welcome, this is a GREAT place to learn stuff!

Get notified of new replies

To Hey everyone

Old 10-30-2002, 11:25 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcom to the family, Adam

Just a word for ya, before you go buying stroker motors, and having the car tied up for an indefinite time period, drive it for a year or two, enjoy it. Learn as much as you can about motor mechanics, what is involved, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes you will get greater pleasure driving a bone stock, reliable vette, then a modified, tempermental one.

Anyway, welcome to the family
Old 10-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 854 Likes on 247 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:59 PM
ericshaw
Racer

Default Re: Hey everyone (patsnitrovette)

WELCOME!! :seeya
What makes you think we know what were doing? :eek: :lol:
I'm a 73 fan myself (plastic nose, chrome rear bumpers) but the Vette that ended up in my hands is a 76. She was slow, and I mean S L O W. Now we're figuring around 400+ rwhp and the rear bumper is growing on me. Plus Vettes are like potato chips, you cant just have one! So rather than doing a 73 rear on my 76 I'll just save up for the 73... same for the third and fourth ones too ('63 and '53) ...and the C6 when it comes out ...and... :D
:cheers:

Quick Reply: Hey everyone