C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big block starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:49 PM
khyatt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block starter replacement

Is there a replacement starter that doesn't require shims?
Old 07-22-2018, 04:52 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Shims are not dictated by the starter but by the engine block. If the old starter didn't use shims the new one shouldn't either. I'm using a PowerMaster mini starter on my 454 and didn't need shims.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Most of the "Hitachi" style mini-starters with the nose cone over the starter gear will not need shims. Many of the race style mini starters with the adjustable mounting block will need block shims and depth shims on the starter motor itself. You'll have to play with them to make them work usually. I had a TCI, a Summit brand, and a Hamburger starter....They all had issues with start gear clearance..... Part store Hitachi starter went right in with no shims and starts/sounds great.

It all depends on how lucky you are....LOL
Old 03-03-2022, 02:38 PM
j-wave
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Shims are not dictated by the starter but by the engine block. If the old starter didn't use shims the new one shouldn't either. I'm using a PowerMaster mini starter on my 454 and didn't need shims.
Which PowerMaster starter are you using? My LS5 still has the stock headers so the fitment is tight - as you may know. Are there several PowerMaster starters that will fit? My compression ratio is around 11 or 12:1.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:32 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I have installed over 15 of these and never needed a shim ever........not sure if I can fully explain that....but it is true. I believe it has little to do with the crank centerline and starter pad relationship than it does crappy tolerances on Delco style starters.
Best damn aftermarket starter available IMHO and not the most expensive either.

CVR 5323 CVR Protorque Starters | Summit Racing

Jebby
The following users liked this post:
JBrooke825 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by j-wave
Which PowerMaster starter are you using? My LS5 still has the stock headers so the fitment is tight - as you may know. Are there several PowerMaster starters that will fit? My compression ratio is around 11 or 12:1.
When I searched on Summit they show 33 Powermaster starters for C3s. No idea why they need so many models!

Anyway, I have the cheapest one, the 9100. 5 years old now and still works perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To big block starter replacement

Quick Reply: big block starter replacement