C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension Experts - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:51 PM
blanman61
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Experts - Need Help

78 stock, 53K. Have had the car couple of years and there has always been a little lean to the drivers side as viewed from the back - 1/2" difference as measured to the top of the fender opening. Always attributed this to bad body mounts.
Bushings in the rear were looking bad so had new spring mount bushings and new strut rods and shocks installed. The mechanic looked at differential and said clutch packs were good etc.
Problem is now the car has a pronounced lean, drivers side measured 27 3/4" and passenger side was 29 1/2".
Since it already had a little lean before the above work was done tried putting a 10" bolt on the passenger side and getting the rear end level there is only about an 1 1/2" of thread left on the bolt. The driver side still has original bolt.
Spring looks good cannot see anything broke, split, abnormal etc. There is something bad wrong here and I know I shouldn't have two different length bolts on the spring mounts.
I know I should take it back to the mechanic and I will but want to be armed with some knowledge of what happened and why beforehand.
Appreciate any ideas on what is going on.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:07 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 280 Posts

Well I am no expert but a few pictures under the rear end might help me and others see something that you are not. What kind of spring is in the rear? Have you had a look at the body mounts? You didn't mention the front, does it also lean or does it measure out good?
Old 05-04-2018, 02:57 PM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd look to see if the bolts at the ends of the spring are the same length. Make sure they have equal hardware and bushings.

A pic would help.

Last edited by FB#1; 05-04-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:30 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

You might want to take good look at the front end too. An issue in the front could cause the rear to be uneven. Could a front spring not be seated properly? Have you done any work on the front suspension?
Old 05-04-2018, 06:26 PM
blanman61
Advanced

Originally Posted by kansas123
Well I am no expert but a few pictures under the rear end might help me and others see something that you are not. What kind of spring is in the rear? Have you had a look at the body mounts? You didn't mention the front, does it also lean or does it measure out good?

No luck in posting pictures but will keep trying. No front end work other than new shocks. Front end alignment done, ball joints good. Front end is even side to side.
Back end is level with six inch bolt on drivers side and ten inch on passenger side. Ten inch close to end of threads. Can't be body mounts they are not that thick.
Please read original post to see what was done.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:38 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Do a 180 flip with the spring, had success doing that on a 68 with a steel spring. C3s are heavier on the driver side. That 27 3/4 height is very close to factory ride height presuming that tires are close to the OEMs. Did you measure the front height? Do you put it up on jack stand for the off season, just remember the springs are probably 40 years old and springs do fatigue. T
Old 05-05-2018, 08:17 AM
blanman61
Advanced

Thanks Terry flipping the spring is a good idea. Front height is good and tires are oem size.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Suspension Experts - Need Help

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Experts - Need Help