C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid leak top of fuel pump (oil)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 AM
VicM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluid leak top of fuel pump (oil)

I have just bought 1976 C3 and have discovered a fluid leak which looks like oil, cleaning the area, then driving for about 10 mins, there is fluid which I think is oil, on top of the fuel pump. I have had a shop look at it, and they have replaced the fuel pump gaskets which had clearly rotted out the 1st time, then today they fitted a new fuel pump. After driving home the same fluid is back on the pump, so clearly it's not the fuel pump. however the block, and manifolds are completely dry and clean, I have noticed some light weeping from the power steering assembly, but as that is below the fuel pump level, I can’t see that as an a cause.
Does anyone have some tips on how to identify where this is coming from? Or can recommend a good shop near Scottsdale AZ, I’d be immensely grateful.

Thanks in advance

Vic
Old 04-06-2018, 01:05 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Sounds like you are missing the bolt (3/8?) Located just above the fuel pump. This is a very short bolt used to plug a bolt hole. When you install a new fuel pump you insert a longer bolt into the hole to hold the fuel pump push rod up so you can install the nee fuel pump. If that bolt is missing you will have oil on top of your fuel pump. It's the first thing I'd check and takes less than a minute.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Vic,
Welcome!
I believe this is the location of the bolt Ice is referring to.
Perhaps it's loose enough to let some oil seep out.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-06-2018, 07:55 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts

It likes a drop or two of sealant after a good clean.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

Ensure you get the appropriate "short" bolt or you'll lock you'll fuel pump push-rod.

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
Sounds like you are missing the bolt (3/8?) Located just above the fuel pump. This is a very short bolt used to plug a bolt hole. When you install a new fuel pump you insert a longer bolt into the hole to hold the fuel pump push rod up so you can install the nee fuel pump. If that bolt is missing you will have oil on top of your fuel pump. It's the first thing I'd check and takes less than a minute.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Sneak your cell phone down there and post a picture.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,648 Posts

I'm putting my money on: the pump gaskets were installed incorrectly. Unless your shop mechanics are us ol' timers, they wouldn't know you have to RTV ALL FOUR SIDES because of two gaskets (common, forgetful, dilema). Permatex Black on both sides of the mounting plate gasket. Same goes for both sides of the pump gasket.

There's really no oil pressure behind the mounting plate, but without RTV they will drip everytime.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:14 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DorianC3
It likes a drop or two of sealant after a good clean.
I meant a drop of RTV black on the short bolt. I bet that’s loose or missing.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:45 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Fwiw I have a similar issue. I’m narrowing it down to the timing chain cover seal
Old 04-07-2018, 03:26 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about ac compressor seal leaking,,if it has ac
Old 04-07-2018, 08:11 PM
VicM
8th Gear

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this ,firstly, Thanks to everyone for their responses, I've taken a few steps and as requested taken pictures. So a chronology of events:
got home from the shop, parked up and checked. same problem, so cleaned everything in the area.
Pic 1 Pic 1 cleaned area
Pic 2 looking along the plug line to see any evidence from the Head.no leaking I can see (whew!)
Picture of the bottom of the Head I think this is the Bolt that was suspect?
All looks clear here, if this is the correct bolt. Cleaned AreaSo next, I sprayed the area with Foot powder( a tip from You Tube)
Powder coated the Pump
And sure enough after 4 miles of driving keeping the engine around 2000-2500 RPM,
we get this. So in my opinion this looks to be a defective pump, or badly attached. The shop had to disassemble the pump to get the orientation of the fuel lines to work, so is this a possibility?
Looks like the diaphragmall of the mounting bolts, plates and the special bolt are clear and still covered in powder with no signs of oil anywhere.

So please could someone suggest what to do, (play nice please)

Thanks in advance

Vic
Old 04-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Is it oil or fuel? Looks like fuel to me. Maybe they screwed up the seal when they re clocked it.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:04 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Its time for two very special tools not found in your toolbox. A finger and a nose.
What does it smell like?

Nice pump, nice bolts, nice header studs too!

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-08-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 280 Posts

Any chance you could start and run the engine and just watch it for a while??? To try and help determine where it's coming from? And that would be after you stick a finger or a qtip down there and retrieve a dab so you can smell it...
Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Well I found my oil leak and the symptoms are VERY similar to your. It only showed up after driving, engine hot and the top of the fuel pump got wet. I thought it was the fuel pump gasket and replaced that.

And the cat came back.

I thought it was the short bolt.

And the cat came back.

Now I found a leak at the front of the oil pan. It only leaks when hot and, while driving, the drops are blown all over the place and particularly on the top of the fuel pump.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:17 PM
VicM
8th Gear

thanks again everyone,
it's not fuel, as it smells and feels oily, Dorian's reply seem to fit my symptoms and are probably as close to what I am getting as i can tell. sitting at idle for 10 min,s or so, no leaks,
Sadly I don't have a hoist to put the car up on to get under properly, and a little nervous just using the scissor jack!! Heads up asks about an special S hose for the pump, the fuel lines in and out of the pump are braided, so no S that I can see,
Given that this shop has tried to resolve this three times now, should I go back or find someone else? Is there anyone else close to or in Scottsdale AZ, who could recommend someone who can assist?

thanks

Vic
Old 04-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VicM
thanks again everyone,
it's not fuel, as it smells and feels oily, Dorian's reply seem to fit my symptoms and are probably as close to what I am getting as i can tell. sitting at idle for 10 min,s or so, no leaks,
Sadly I don't have a hoist to put the car up on to get under properly, and a little nervous just using the scissor jack!! Heads up asks about an special S hose for the pump, the fuel lines in and out of the pump are braided, so no S that I can see,
Given that this shop has tried to resolve this three times now, should I go back or find someone else? Is there anyone else close to or in Scottsdale AZ, who could recommend someone who can assist?

thanks

Vic
The braided hose right in front of the pump. Is that a tranny cooler line?

Get notified of new replies

To fluid leak top of fuel pump (oil)

Old 04-08-2018, 01:58 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Looks like they didn't put all the perimeter bolts in after clocking the pump. The diaphragm has fuel on 1 side and engine oil on the other. And fan and wind would blow it up-back onto top of pump. Also, that is oil, not gas.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:24 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

I believe those are rivets for every other hole.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:21 PM
VicM
8th Gear

Hi guys,
The braided hose is the uprated fuel line feed from the tank, the capped line is the old fuel line, why they did not remove it I don't know. Anyway I am decided to let the shop have another go at this one last time, I've shown them the pictures that I posted, and they are going to do a couple of things. 1. Reseal the pump by applying a silicon sealer to both sides of the diaphragm, then run the car for a while. 2. if that's not the problem then they will "dye" the oil, and then run the engine under load to see if there is any other leak, as mentioned previously from the oil sum gasket. what I failed to mention i that the sump is a Moroso sump, not the original.

Vic

Quick Reply: fluid leak top of fuel pump (oil)