C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransGo TH350 Shift Improver Kit Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 09:03 PM
Apeiron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TransGo TH350 Shift Improver Kit Installed... (jerryp58)

I had read that auto transmissions, by design, can have two gears engaged at the same time, but I assumed they were both forward gears. That's an amazing concept: reverse and a forward engaged at the same time :eek: Can anyone corroborate that?
Actually all the planetary gears in an automatic are always engaged, but systems of clutches are used to hold certain parts stationary with respect to other parts. For a shift to be smooth, the combination of clutches to select one gear should be released gradually as the clutches to select the next gear are gradually applied. If the first clutch set releases too quickly or the second set applies too late, you get a "flare". If the second set applies too quickly or the first set releases too late, you get a neck-snapping B&M-style shift (along with burned clutches). You need to speed up the release and application of the two sets together to do it properly.

By the way, transbrakes work by applying pressure to the forward and reverse circuits at the same time to keep the transmission "locked", and then dumping the reverse pressure rapidly to take off.

[Modified by Apeiron, 6:05 PM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: TransGo TH350 Shift Improver Kit Installed... (Apeiron)

Does the TransGo kit do it "properly?"
Old 10-16-2002, 10:31 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TransGo TH350 Shift Improver Kit Installed... (Apeiron)

Guys, I'm going to have to take your word that TransGo is better than B&M. I've seen the animations of auto trans operation on shows like TNN's Popular Hot Rodding and I just took a look at a VERY interesting site http://www.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm , but I'm afraid I'd have better luck simultaneously solving 4 Rubiks Cubes (one on each hand & foot) than I will understanding the hydraulic "circuits" that control band & clutch engaging & disengaging of gears in an automatic transmission, let alone the best way to modify that flow :crazy:

I don't particularly notice "hard shifts" at light throttle. Hopefully, my B&M'ized TH350 will hold out until I can put a 700R4 or 2004R in.

Paul, I'm glad you're happy with the upgrade :yesnod:
Old 10-17-2002, 06:50 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: TransGo TH350 Shift Improver Kit Installed... (jerryp58)

Thanks, Jerry. Yes I am pleased! But I do not understand the inner workings of automatic transmissions. As I noted earlier, there are many fine products in the marketplace. I have no basis on which to compare one to the other.

Quick Reply: TransGo TH350 Shift Improver Kit Installed...