C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing ignition switch ‘76

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 PM
DR'76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Testing ignition switch ‘76

Stopped to get gas this morning, then went to start car and NOTHING! No gauge movement, no crank, etc... Battery is good. Luckily was across the street from work and had assistance to push it over. Now that I’m looking at it, I’m not finding anything obvious. I’m getting power to the starter, but there’s nothing at the alternator power wire. I’ve noticed that sometimes my ignition lock cylinder didn’t always “kick back” from Stsrt to Run, I have to manually turn CCW once it starts, so was wondering if I had an ignition issue here???

I have the steering column dropped and access to the “harmonica” harness... can I supply power anywhere to “bypass” the ignition switch?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:44 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Try adjusting the location of the switch or just replace the switch, its easy and the part is about $25.
The following users liked this post:
DR'76 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

IF nothing is working- like the lights. More than likely you have a problem at the starter- The main power wire for the car is junctioned there.

Check to make sure that has a good connection.

If its good at the starter-you might have burned the fusible link.

The alternator terminal should always be hot- unless you've got a bad connection or a burned fusible link.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT try to jump power at the ignition switch- if there is a short somewhere you will torch more wires.

Richard
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
DR'76 (03-10-2018), Peterbuilt (03-09-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 AM
DR'76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions and tips! Turned out to be a burnt connector in a wire going from the starter to the alternator. Red wire, approx 8-10 ga. plastic connector located just behind the rear of the fuse block. Had voltage on the starter side, but nothing on the alternator side.

Not yet sure why it burnt/melted, but it didn't really look "fresh"; more like it's been happening over time (like 42 years!). Will be keeping an eye on it just in case!

Last edited by DR'76; 03-10-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by DR'76
Thanks for the suggestions and tips! Turned out to be a burnt connector in a wire going from the starter to the alternator. Red wire, approx 8-10 ga. plastic connector located just behind the rear of the fuse block. Had voltage on the starter side, but nothing on the alternator side.

Not yet sure why it burnt/melted, but it didn't really look "fresh"; more like it's been happening over time (like 42 years!). Will be keeping an eye on it just in case!
Probably just a bad connection- HOWEVER-

And another thing to check would be the resistance to ground (Chassis) from the engine. A bad ground strap from the engine will also aggravate the problem you had.

Take you meter and measure the resistance from say the alternator case to a clean -bare metal surface on the chassis- should be well under 1Ω. Disclaimer- put the two leads together and see what the meter's own resistance is-subtract that from your total.

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To Testing ignition switch ‘76

Quick Reply: Testing ignition switch ‘76