C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct negative camber visible to the eye?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct negative camber visible to the eye?

I've heard correct negative camber on a Vette is visible from the rear. My question...is the angle of the top of the wheel pointing in dramatic or just ever so slight but yet visible while looking from the rear?

Is the correct negative camber of the wheel something you can see just glancing or something you will only see under a good study of one's eye?
Old 10-12-2002, 10:04 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Correct negative camber visible to the eye? (Phoenix79)

Depends on your meaning of correct, For a street setup you should be able to tell the camber is negative but it shouldn't be obvious. I only notice my camber being negative when I'm actually paying attention to it and mine is set about as far negative as you want for a street car. I can tell the camber is pretty close to right on a vette or not, but I do alignments so I have a little bit of an eye for it.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 10-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Default Re: Correct negative camber visible to the eye? (73 LS-4)

Damnnnn that's a nice Vette! Shouldn't be obvious...all right that statement works for me. So someone like myself should not be able to notice the negative camber unless I look real close. I really need to take the Vette to an alignment shop. I've been messing with the smart struts trying to find a driveable setup. So far I can go around corners with no trouble and the Vette drives straight for a good long time before drifting off...it sure doesn't follow the road while driving on a road with lots of cracks and holes like it used too. But I can see the camber is negative just by a good look at the rear wheels.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:20 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I used to be a licensed contractor, remodeler, and so I have still a fairly good eye for that camber thing....but I use a level across the rim and set mine for about 1/8 inch in at top in 17" wheel diameter....no wear ever noticed....

GENE
Old 10-12-2002, 11:55 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Correct negative camber visible to the eye? (mrvette)

If you put a level on the rim of a 15" wheel from top to bottom, 1 degree is .270".
So if you want 1 degree negative camber ( a LOT for the street ) the top edge of the wheel, not the tire, should be .270" closer in towards the car that the bottom.

Gene is running just under 1/2 degree neg camber...

here's the math...

sine(camber angle) = tilt / Wheel dia
so
sine(1 degree) = tilt / 15.5(actual dia, rim to rim )
sine(1) *15.5 = tilt
.27051 = tilt

Should this be noticeable? not really...

[Modified by 427V8, 6:25 AM 10/13/2002]
Old 10-13-2002, 02:51 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Phoenix79, If you need an alignment, let me know and I can set you something up, I work in fairview heights. and thanks for the compliment :D

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 10-13-2002, 07:52 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One degree equates to about .015" per inch.. so if you tire is 27" tall, the top would be .400" in compared to the bottom.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:17 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Correct negative camber visible to the eye? (427V8)

427V8 is correct. A person can use a level against the wheel to determine camber. It's basically a trig problem. The angle you want is known and the diameter of the wheel where you place the edge of the level can be measured; consequently, the tangent of the angle multiplied by the diameter of the wheel gives a person the horizontal distance from the edge of the straight up level to the wheel. Gee, did I say that? That is a mouthful. Anyway, camber that is way off can be seen. Toe and caster cannot be seen. Good luck. By the way, the car is more stable with street camber, and I have seen no problem with tire wear.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct negative camber visible to the eye?

Quick Reply: Correct negative camber visible to the eye?