C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Carburator vs. Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 12:21 PM
79 black on black
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Carburator vs. Fuel Injection

I've seen a lot of info on different carburator/intake combinations and have a good idea of what it would take to get a better-performing combination in place, around $600 in parts. Has anyone done any serious homework to see what it would take to go to fuel injection on their C3? I've seen patsnitrovette pics. Care to share the headaches with f.i. and nitrous on f.i.? Was the stock fuel pump enough for the injectors? I don't want to go to a new carb/intake if f.i. can economically offer better performance.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: C3 Carburator vs. Fuel Injection (79 black on black)

The stock cam driven pump won't give enough pressure for even a TBI setup (wich requires only around 13psi), the TPI requires around 40psi or so. You will need a FI pump. If you can get the 82 tank & fuel sender the TPI pump will fit that setup and it will look fairly stock. An aftermarket pump like the mallory is probably a cheaper solution.

You'll need a fuel return line too.

With the injection come some sensors, if it's a speed-density setup (wich is easiest to setup because you won't have the MAF sender and can use an open element air filter) you need a Coolant Temp sender, an O2 sensor, a MAP sensor, a Throttle Position Sensor, an electronic HEI distributor, a fuel pump relay & preferrably the later style oil pressure sender/safety pressure switch (for fuel pump).

A carb will certainly be cheaper.

Marck
Old 10-11-2002, 12:31 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: C3 Carburetor vs. Fuel Injection (79 black on black)

I am looking at doing an EFI setup on my car.
$600 will not get any type of a new system. Most after market bolt on systems run any where from $1100 - $2500, depending on the type and equipment.

I am running into problems with my state emissions board letting me do this. Federal law says removing any factory emissions part is a no-no.
I could add fuel injection to my vehicle, increase it's mileage, decrease it's emissions, but I can't hook up the evaporative control system (charcoal canister). For that reason I have to keep running an un-efficient gas guzzling carburetor.

idiots.

Good luck to you if you decide to make the change. Both Holley and Edelbrock make kits to do the work, and you should be able to make the change over on a weekend.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: C3 Carburetor vs. Fuel Injection (BSeery)

Who says you can't hook up the charcoal canister? The FI setups have it too. They have a solenoid in the evacuation line (purge solenoid) that is activated when the engine is running (I think only in open loop) so that the canister is emptied.

Marck
Old 10-11-2002, 12:38 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

BSeery: you know if you have a friend in Prescott, you could regester the vee-hick-le in Press-skit. Vola! no emmisions testing required.
just a thought
cheers
Old 10-11-2002, 12:42 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: C3 Carburetor vs. Fuel Injection (Twinnie)

Who says you can't hook up the charcoal canister? The FI setups have it too. They have a solenoid in the evacuation line (purge solenoid) that is activated when the engine is running (I think only in open loop) so that the canister is emptied.

Marck
Holley said their setup did not have a provision for evaporitive control. I may just hook up the vacuum lines to the canister and call it good.

As far as registering in Prescott, I have to show proof of residency up there. I must present a utility bill, in my name, at that address up there. Also, those that commute to Phoenix on a daily basis are supposed to be non-exempt.

I am just going to get my cert. this year, as I am due within 20 days, make my changes to my car (exhaust and FI) and deal with it next year.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

You can simply hook a vac. controlled solenoid to the fuel pump power (or better use a seperate relay & use the sqitching signal from the ECM to the fuel pump) & switch it that way.

Marck

[Modified by Twinnie, 10:58 AM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 02:25 PM
79 black on black
Racer

Thanks for the info received so far, guys! BSeery - like your mods. Am also looking at 700R4 with a higher ratio differential. You prefer the 3.70 over 3.55 for street use or are you taking it to a track?
Old 10-11-2002, 02:26 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

if you did go with tpi setup you can find them cheap enough on ebay or even in the c4 parts section too.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:37 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Thanks for the info received so far, guys! BSeery - like your mods. Am also looking at 700R4 with a higher ratio differential. You prefer the 3.70 over 3.55 for street use or are you taking it to a track?
I really like the 700R4 -- great transmission. I think 3.73 was too tall though. I may look for a 3.3x 3.4x series gear for mine. If they don't have it, I will go back to the 3.08 and rely on torque. I am running 285/40/17's in the back, and I got horrible wheel spin at the track, so I think the 3.08's would be better.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:55 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i think im gone to have the same problem with my 700r4 i have 3.70 gear in mine will see when i get it finished.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:43 PM
79 black on black
Racer

Default Re: C3 Carburetor vs. Fuel Injection (patsnitrovette)

Awesome setup, patsnitrovette! I think I'm going to look at something like a Holley Commander 950 and then on to the 700R4 early next year. Keep my 3.08, up to 3.55 if tires are not burning. :cheers:
Old 10-11-2002, 04:49 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Awesome setup, patsnitrovette! I think I'm going to look at something like a Holley Commander 950 and then on to the 700R4 early next year. Keep my 3.08, up to 3.55 if tires are not burning. :cheers:
I just won an E-Bay auction for a Holley Commander 950 !!! I am so stoked !!

I am going to let my car pass emissions "as is" and then change it over to FI next month. WOOO HOOO !!! Fuel Injection for $850 !!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 05:28 PM
79 black on black
Racer

I just won an E-Bay auction for a Holley Commander 950 !!! I am so stoked !!

I am going to let my car pass emissions "as is" and then change it over to FI next month. WOOO HOOO !!! Fuel Injection for $850 !!!!
Congrats, BSeery! I'll be doing some early Christmas shopping for myself at the end of this month.

:cheers: :cool:
Old 10-11-2002, 05:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Almost 7 years ago Ii bought a used TPI setup from a vendor at Carlysle, spending 350 bux...got good mechanicals...from a vette...and installed on my stock '72 fresh engine, rebuilt by previous owner....
car used to get 12 mpg mixed bag driving....doubled to 24 mpg same bags...of course with O2 sensor, mounted in stock exhaust system at t eh heat flapper riser valve fitting....IF the car is driven much at all, might as well double the economy and increase the power also at the same time...
now of course I had to do the electricals, pumps, and get a cal=pak for the computer....but it's not all that hard, really....

GENE
Old 10-11-2002, 05:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

is that Holley comander a DPFI setup or T-body??? if t-body...I"d forget about it....DPFI is the way to fly....

GENE
Old 10-11-2002, 06:33 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: C3 Carburetor vs. Fuel Injection (mrvette)

is that Holley comander a DPFI setup or T-body??? if t-body...I"d forget about it....DPFI is the way to fly....

GENE
It's throttle body. I can't have TPI as those don't allow EGR. I can "hide" the t-body under my stock aircleaner and the state will be none the wiser.
If I go to a TPI, then I have to get it off a newer modle Vette than my own, say a 1988. Then I have to pass the emissions standards for a 1988 then, and not just the standards for a 1980. I am going to stick with my 900 CFM T-Body, as it will be much better than my QJet.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Carburator vs. Fuel Injection

Old 10-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

All GM TPI manifolds have EGR.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

All GM TPI manifolds have EGR.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:35 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I guess I'm just an old geezer that is stuck in the carburetor era. If I wanted FI I would have just bought a newer Vette that already had it installed. I wanted an old Vette with that nasty, stinky, polluting, inefficient, gas guzzling carburetor on it. That's why I spent more for a C3 Vette. I could have gotten one of the newer fuelie versions for half the price I paid for a carb version. But now....I have an IMMENSE choice of cams, carbs, and manifolds without having to worry about sensors, failing idiotic pollution tests, and not knowing how to adjust FI after it's installed.
Plus....NOTHING compares to the WOOOOOOOOMMMMMPPPPP
of a Holley being floored. :lol:

Quick Reply: C3 Carburator vs. Fuel Injection