C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rigid Fiberglass Bumbers for a 82

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Tommy82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rigid Fiberglass Bumbers for a 82

So I'm starting to look for parts for a repaint project on my 82.
I'm on the hunt for the best fiberglass bumpers.(front and rear)
These need to be Rigid Fiberglass,black in color, ready to sand and paint(not any flex).
Any suggestions from experience?
DUB on this forum is involved on this project at his shop also so don't ask me to ask him lol. He sent me to the forum to ask the question.

Heres an example of what I need from Corvette Central who buys theirs from J&D Corvette out of CA.

https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...f%3fcount%3d18
Old 12-05-2017, 01:20 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

As you know you dont want flex after that its hit or miss, seems most try to force flex parts on people,

The part might fit your car nice and the next one crappy and need fitting work,

There is also the bolt on conversion that would make the rear look like a 68 to 73
Old 12-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,708 Likes on 1,424 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

As Dub may have already told you, you may need to ADD layers of fiberglass on the inside of the bumpers to increase thickness and make them as rigid and waveless as the rest of the body of the car. I used Trueflex, and would never do it again. I was trying to get ALL the waves out of the bumpers that were standard with the rubber bumpers, and the Trueflex only got me half way. Why should the bumpers be any less flawless than the rest of the car?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 AM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 253 Posts

I got my front glass bumper from Ecklers.They come in gelcoat grey.Never seen them in black.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by gjohnson
I got my front glass bumper from Ecklers.They come in gelcoat grey.Never seen them in black.
Black i s somewhat rare in aftermarket parts gel, grey is common,
I have seen an outfit doing black gel on ebay but aside from being rather overpriced i know nothing more about them,
And paying too much doesnt mean its a great part.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 PM
indy99
Melting Slicks

Location: the land of a never ending frame-off resto-mod. May Visa have mercy on my soul.
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you looked at ACI??? http://www.acivette.com/

They carry a large inventory of parts and manufacture them in their plant.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

It doesn't matter what color they are. You are painting them anyway. What matters is fit and finish, with a little bit of structural strength thrown in. And I would think if DUB is doing the job, he has the best idea what'll work best with your wants and his time...
Old 12-07-2017, 02:43 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
It doesn't matter what color they are. You are painting them anyway. What matters is fit and finish, ..
exactly .. why do they need to be black?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Because if anyone has ever laid up parts in a mold...and had black gelcoat in the mold...when applying the mat and resin....having a black background does make it a lot easier to spot air pockets. Because you just do not run the roller around and 'think' that you are getting them out...you need to look and see that they are gone.

The reason he as asking about them being black is because pf what i just described...because we all know that does not mean anything when they are going to be primed and painted.

The reason he asked this question is I have used black gelcoated rigid fiberglas bumpers before but that company got bought out and I know there is another company that makes them or did make them..and that is what I wanted to use....because I have had too many problems in the others that I have used.

See why I am trying out another manufacturer due to the link below.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-corvette.html

DUB
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Green73
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know its not what you asked for.. but I got a white gel coated front bumper when I bought my 73. I think the previous owner said it came from Ecklers. I thought it was chincy and was turned off by the hand laid fiberglass. I thought it was exceptionally thin too, like you can see light through it thin. Then I got to thinking.. this piece should be flimsy... its basically sacrificial now. My thought on it was, if God forbid you bump something, let it shatter into a million pieces. Buying another one and painting it again would be no big deal. Certainly better than it being super rigid and then damaging the rest of the body when something goes bump in the night. Now if your going to glass it in, all that goes out the window. Anyway, good luck with your search and here's a free bump to the top.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Because if anyone has ever laid up parts in a mold...and had black gelcoat in the mold...when applying the mat and resin....having a black background does make it a lot easier to spot air pockets. Because you just do not run the roller around and 'think' that you are getting them out...you need to look and see that they are gone.

The reason he as asking about them being black is because pf what i just described...because we all know that does not mean anything when they are going to be primed and painted.

The reason he asked this question is I have used black gelcoated rigid fiberglas bumpers before but that company got bought out and I know there is another company that makes them or did make them..and that is what I wanted to use....because I have had too many problems in the others that I have used.

See why I am trying out another manufacturer due to the link below.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-corvette.html

DUB
I have installed many C3 fiberglass bumpers , both bolted and molded , as well as 1 pc complete front ends and rears, replacements, custom widebodies, you name it, on C3 and C2s.. ,,, I found no significant difference in black or grey as long as it was a reputable vender.. I used mostly Ecklers for many many years,starting in the 70s, had a dealer arrangement with them.. theirs were all grey and I never had any issues at all with their quality. . ..Perhaps the quality of parts has declined since I got out of the business. There are certainly a lot more vendors now..
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i have made countless molds and parts , the quality of the lay up does not have much , if anything to do with gel coat color , the quality of the lay up depends on the person doing the lay up.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

to slightly disagree.

But I can say that trying to see an air bubble on a gelcoat that is white is NOT the same as if it were on the black gelcoat. Because I have done it both ways and I am paying attention and I noticed it is a bit easier to see the bubble on black gelcoat.

I prefer my molds to be a bight Chevy orange color gelcoat...so when I apply the black gelcoat...there is no mistaking that the mold is completely covered well.

I guess it all depends on what we prefer to use or do.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-08-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i agree , molds of a contrasting color are a must , my molds are either black or orange , i suppose tooling gel is available in other colors but those are the colors my supplier carries.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:58 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

I have bought front and rear solid fiberglass bumpers for my 2 1975 projects from a guy on ebay.
I am not going with the original 75 style but modifying them to 74 front and 75 rear with the 77-82 spoiler on one and the 69-72 chrome rear bumper on the other.

The ebay guy's name is its-fiberglass (or its_fiberglass)....???
Supposedly worked for Toledo pro.

They are lighter in weight than the more expensive Eckler's and Corvette Central stuff. And they are black gel coat.
My plans require a lot of glassing anyway so adding glass on the inside is not a problem for me anyway.

Good luck with your project....

watch out for the "while I was at it" syndrome......
The following users liked this post:
DUB (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:24 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by dtamustang
i agree , molds of a contrasting color are a must , my molds are either black or orange , i suppose tooling gel is available in other colors but those are the colors my supplier carries.
Mike would run out of black or grey for parts and make a part from the tangerine gel,
Old 12-09-2017, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by bmans vette
I have bought front and rear solid fiberglass bumpers for my 2 1975 projects from a guy on ebay.
I am not going with the original 75 style but modifying them to 74 front and 75 rear with the 77-82 spoiler on one and the 69-72 chrome rear bumper on the other.

The ebay guy's name is its-fiberglass (or its_fiberglass)....???
Supposedly worked for Toledo pro.

They are lighter in weight than the more expensive Eckler's and Corvette Central stuff. And they are black gel coat.
My plans require a lot of glassing anyway so adding glass on the inside is not a problem for me anyway.

Good luck with your project....

watch out for the "while I was at it" syndrome......
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

Thanks for the reply because that is kinda what I remember when I talked with him....as for him previously working for Toledo Pro.

I never have a problem with applying more mat and resin if needed...but it is the huge air pockets that I am trying to avoid seeing.

DUB
bmans vette (12-09-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Rigid Fiberglass Bumbers for a 82

Old 12-09-2017, 05:45 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 301 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
As Dub may have already told you, you may need to ADD layers of fiberglass on the inside of the bumpers to increase thickness and make them as rigid and waveless as the rest of the body of the car. I used Trueflex, and would never do it again. I was trying to get ALL the waves out of the bumpers that were standard with the rubber bumpers, and the Trueflex only got me half way. Why should the bumpers be any less flawless than the rest of the car?

I used tru flex on my 80. Worst mistake. I had to add layers of glass on the inside. If I could do over I would have used regular fiberglass.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:27 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER
I never have a problem with applying more mat and resin if needed...but it is the huge air pockets that I am trying to avoid seeing.

DUB
It's all about the structural integrity, the only way to maintain it is to insure the air inclusions are removed. My glass experience was marine where the integrity was critical.
DUB (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

I found this on eBay. Wrong year for you but it's a black gelcoat bumper with the manufacturers information in there I think. So it might be worth contacting the people to see if they have what you're looking for year wise.https://m.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-1975...sAAOSw-kdXxHVZ

Last edited by derekderek; 12-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.
DUB (12-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Rigid Fiberglass Bumbers for a 82