C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine first start

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:35 PM
supersonicvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine first start

Hello all, so I'm at my wits end trying to start a rebuild engine I just purchased form a machine company. I have set it to TDC on the compression stroke at least a half dozen times (Using a finger over the hole as well as an inspection camera in the #1 cylinder spark plug hole), installed and tried two different distributors to cylinder #1 but nothing. All the wires were in the right order, plugs are getting juice but i'm only getting a sputter every once in a blue moon. Needless to say it is getting gas and air so I'm stumped.
I know it's hard trying to diagnose this without actually being here but any help or hints are appreciated.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:46 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by supersonicvette
Hello all, so I'm at my wits end trying to start a rebuild engine I just purchased form a machine company. I have set it to TDC on the compression stroke at least a half dozen times (Using a finger over the hole as well as an inspection camera in the #1 cylinder spark plug hole), installed and tried two different distributors to cylinder #1 but nothing. All the wires were in the right order, plugs are getting juice but i'm only getting a sputter every once in a blue moon. Needless to say it is getting gas and air so I'm stumped.
I know it's hard trying to diagnose this without actually being here but any help or hints are appreciated.
Could be number of any possibilities it won't fire, wouldn't know where to begin from here???

I just hope for your sake it's a roller cam build and not a flat-tappet??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If it IS a flat-tappet I wouldn't even crank it one more time until you resolve the issue!! It may already be too late, hope not!!
Old 11-24-2017, 05:46 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Before I did the initial start on my BB I verified that the rotor was pointing at the tower for the number 1 plug and that the timing mark was slightly BTDC. Doing it by myself without a remote starter I used a small piece of paper towel in the number 1 spark plug hole and cranked the engine until it popped out. Once I installed the plugs and wires it fired right up. Hopefully, your issue is something simple.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:04 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

1. Make sure it's on TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke

2. After you feel pressure blowing out of the #1 spark plug hole the engine still has to turn over another 90+ degrees before it hits TDC of that compression stroke

3..Verify the rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire terminal

4. Once it starts bring the engine speed up to 2000+ rpm and keep it there for 30 minutes to break the cam in. If the cam is a hot cam that uses inner and outer springs (the damper spring isn't considered a spring) never break it in with that inner spring installed or you will risk wiping the cam out. Adjust the timing to show about 45 degrees of advance while the engine is running at that 2000+ rpm. Do NOT idle it during that 30 minutes.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:42 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,139 Likes on 1,643 Posts

STOP! Before you ruin some lobes, bearings, etc. You're getting a sputter that means you are close on the timing. But. I would highly recommend purchasing a oil pump primer shaft and install it in place of the distributor. Pull drivers side valve cover. Run primer shaft with H.D. electric drill to verify you have oil pressure at the rockerarms. Now rotate engine by jogging the Ign key and watch the #1 EXH valve close, then INT valve open, & close. Monitor your timing mark / pointer to zero. Continue priming. Remove shaft, install dizzy pointing at #1 cyl, replace valve cover. You should be good to go. A little shot of gas down the carb, throttle adjustment set high. Total timing should be around 34 for now.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 11-24-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

before you ruin the new engine,change the oil and filter as you've probably was the cylinder walls and everything else down with gas.Next,pull the dizzy and turn your oil pump till you have good pressure.When you reinstall the dizzy do not,I repeat set it up on tdc,put it in so you are 8 or 10 degrees advanced,it will not start at 0 degrees.Once you start it and it will start rev to 2000rpm and go to 2500rpm,then go up and down in that range,do not hold it at a steady rpm.Do that for about 30 minutes.That is what Comp cams recommends(last time I checked,go on their web site to verify).You can set your timing up later.Also I would pull the rocker covers off and put my oil in from there,don't forget to fill your oil filter before you install it on the engine.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 PM
IronMaidens2.0
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Did I miss it or did u post what year ,Carb or FI ?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

You haven't replied yet to the question if this is a flat tappet cam or roller. I'm hoping as well for your sake that this is a roller cam or you may have already caused damage to the cam. If flat tappet...STOP! Find the issue and correct before doing anything else.

Also, you did not mention if this was old school distributor or a HEI and computer controlled motor, which would be great to know which one. What year vette are we talking about?

If it's an HEI computer controlled car and you can laptop tune it, here is what I do with all my motors with no issues and they all fire right up and timing will be very close. If you know what your Initial timing is in your tune, which in my case is 20*BTDC in my tune for my 383. I bring #1 up almost to TDC, but stop it at 20* on the balancer (this is very easy to do with the bellhousing cover off and my flex plate tooth tool to rotate the motor by hand, you can bump it with starter as well and stop when close and do it by hand a few degrees on crank bolt also) Now you're ready to fire it up, drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing at #1 on cap where ever that may be and you should be good to go. (substitute 20* with my motor to what have for your initial)

If old school, just bring #1 up to TDC and drop the distributor in same as above. Hope you find out what is going on with your motor before any damage occurs.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 11-24-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:05 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Pull the drivers side valve cover. Turn the engine till the #1 intake and exhaust are closed and no movement of those valves occurs. Look at the balancer. Is the timing mark on TDC? Is dist pointing dead at #1 plug? If yes to all these, check the lifters---maybe they are too tight and holding the valves open.
Let us know what you find.
Oh, if the balancer doesn't set on zero with #1 valves closed the cam may be installed wrong.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

While many guys here are very correct about wiping cams and doing damage, I feel your solution is just a matter of timing. I dont want to downplay their advice, I just want to make it sound a little less drastic.

Get a helper to crank the engine. As they are cranking, turn the dizzy counterclockwise. After about an inch or so of turning, Im betting it fires up.

I went thru the same thing. I installed a new roller cam and couldnt get it to fire. I called my neighbors 10 year old over and instructed him what to do. (He was excited to help bring the car back to life) After about 5 seconds of cranking and me turning, it fired up.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Where's the OP?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:53 PM
supersonicvette
Instructor

The engine is a late 70's 454 bored out to a 496, it has been set to 12° before to dead center on the compression stroke each time, has a HEI distributor getting 12+ volts at run and 10+ during cranking. Engine has also been primed with oil using a drill between each failed attempt.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:42 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

The engine is a late 70's 454 bored out to a 496, it has been set to 12° before to dead center on the compression stroke each time, has a HEI distributor getting 12+ volts at run and 10+ during cranking. Engine has also been primed with oil using a drill between each failed attempt.
Now we might be on the right track. You say you are pulling the dizzy out after each starting attempt? Do you feel confident that the dizzy is not 180* out? Without watching the #1 valve actions because the valve cover is on, it could happen. And you would get a firing sputter off of a different cyl than number 1.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:46 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Now we might be on the right track. You say you are pulling the dizzy out after each starting attempt? Do you feel confident that the dizzy is not 180* out? Without watching the #1 valve actions because the valve cover is on, it could happen. And you would get a firing sputter off of a different cyl than number 1.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:35 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

How do you know you are setting it at 12 degrees advance if it hasn't run yet? I agree with the above posts that you are probably 180 out on the distributor rotor.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 PM
supersonicvette
Instructor

I've been putting it in with the drivers side valve cover off. I've also bumped it over with my finger over the spark plug hole until I felt it blow off.

Last edited by supersonicvette; 11-25-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:57 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Is it a flat tappet or roller cam?

Get notified of new replies

To New engine first start

Old 11-26-2017, 07:34 AM
supersonicvette
Instructor

It came with a Elgin industries E1143P hydraulic lifters grind cam and hydraulic lifters if that helps.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

a little more detail on 180 out. bump engine til you see exhaust just closing and intake just opening on number 1. check timing mark. at this point you are firing on number 6. put distrib in pointing to 6 instead of 1. now you are SURE which way is up...Googled your cam. hyd flat tappet. 306 advert duration. 254 at .050. 576 lift, 110 lobe sep. this is not a daily driver cam. beastie is rather radical. not the kind of lift that requires 450 lbs of spring, which REALLY shortens valvetrain life, but idle to 3000 rpm will be somewhat suboptimal.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-26-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Inspection camera you mentioned only reveals where the piston is in the cyl. It does not reveal which of the two TDC strokes its on. I still suspect you are intalling / pointing the dizzy on the wrong cycle.

#1 Exhaust valve on the drivers side is closest to the radiator. When it closes, watch for the Intake to open / close. Keep jogging the Ign key. Bring the harmonic balancer around until the marks line up TDC. Drop in dizzy, cross fingers.
One other thing. The oil pump driveshaft make give you grief when installing the dizzy. Take a really long screwdriver to align the slot in the shaft with the dizzy.
Be carefull about letting the dizzy drop in place when jogging the IGN key. You could be off by one tooth. That could be your issue.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 11-27-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: New engine first start