C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you spend to have your '77 painted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 05:22 PM
jamesah
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you spend to have your '77 painted?

I have a few quotes. All around the 5 bills area. I have about 95,000 miles on a casual driver, need to have the trailing arms rebuilt, front upper and lower A-Frames rebuilt, Air needs fixin, engine is newly rebuilt and it's the original engine, a little body work and paint. Interior is in very good shape. I've been told it's not worth the price to have an off body paint job done. What would you spend?

:confused:
Old 10-08-2002, 06:16 PM
rafox77
Instructor

Default Re: How much would you spend to have your '77 painted? (jamesah)

I would sooner spend the money on the suspension and keep driving it the way it is. That's my plan, my car looks good from 15 feet and even better at 80 mph. For the kind of money ($5k) you're talking about for paint, you could do a lot of other work. I would do a complete suspension rebuiild (including rear end) and a complete interior.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:45 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Five thousand sounds about right. More importantly, ask to see the other cars your painter has painted. My painter charged me about that much, but I got a show quality job from a painter whose other customers win awards quite frequently. If you skrimp on the paint or get a bad painter, then the car will never be fully enjoyable to you. Also important, DO NOT put a show quality paint job on the car until you are sure that the car is reliable to drive cross country. If you are not confident that your car can be driven across country, then scale down the quality of your paint job.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:43 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How much would you spend to have your '77 painted? (virtue4u)

heck I'm usually worried just driving mine cross-town :crazy:
Old 10-09-2002, 08:28 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I think that now, while it's my daily driver, I wouldn't want to spend more than say $1500 on paint (it takes a beating on the Interstate).

Later on, when it & I retire (maybe 10 years), I could see spending more (maybe 3k) to get a nice paint job for cruising & shows & stuff.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a driver??? $2500.00 tops. I see these 6K paint jobs on cars that the owner is afraid to drive anywhere for fear of chips, scratches etc.. Thats no way to enjoy a car!!!!! I say....DRIVE IT :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Eddie
Old 10-09-2002, 12:29 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: How much would you spend to have your '77 painted? (Silvr77)

For a driver??? $2500.00 tops. I see these 6K paint jobs on cars that the owner is afraid to drive anywhere for fear of chips, scratches etc.. Thats no way to enjoy a car!!!!! I say....DRIVE IT :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To How much would you spend to have your '77 painted?

Quick Reply: How much would you spend to have your '77 painted?