C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typical cost for master cylinder replace/repair and rear end rebuild

Old 10-10-2002, 01:01 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical cost for master cylinder replace/repair and rear end rebuild

Looking at a '69 that has had everything rebuilt except the rear end. Also, concern that the master cylinder may be going bad.

What am I looking at to address both issues? How much could I do myself and how much SHOULD be done by a professional mechanic?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:08 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Typical cost for master cylinder replace/repair and rear end rebuild (rbasting)

Rear end rebuild will cost about $600 + shipping. Check with Van Steel, they'll be doing mine as soon as I get $600 in the Corvette fund. Also, check out the ENTIRE brake system. It may not be just the master cylinder.

:cheers:
Old 10-10-2002, 01:19 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Default Re: Typical cost for master cylinder replace/repair and rear end rebuild (e3pres)

Well, the reason I asked about the master cylinder is that the owner said he just had the brakes redone in stainless, but then mentioned that the master may also need replacing soon.

Thanks for the reply on the rear end.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:00 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Typical cost for master cylinder replace/repair and rear end rebuild (rbasting)

If you suspect the MC needs to be rebuilt/replaced then why not do it yourself? If the only problem with your brakes is a leaking MC or spongy brakes, then a rebuild kit for the MC is very cheap and easy to do for the average DIY kind of guy. I would drive the car and evaluate the MC and the differential myself.

Did you ask him why he thought it might be time for a rebuild on either unit.

There is a fellow here in the Pittsburgh, PA area who does differentials, transmissions, and steering boxes for Corvettes. That is his career and he does good work. He has done two different differentials for me, both my trailing arms, and the differential plus a transmission for my neighbor. He just got Glen242's differential yesterday. See his post below.

If you want the gent's name, email me offline.
Gary
schisler@city-net.com

Get notified of new replies

To Typical cost for master cylinder replace/repair and rear end rebuild

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Typical cost for master cylinder replace/repair and rear end rebuild