C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane roller rockers under 1970 LT1 valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Crane roller rockers under 1970 LT1 valve covers?

Hey guys, I'm kind of hoping to use my '70 LT1 valve covers on the new SBC stroker I'm having built. I've always liked the looks of them and it's a bit of a sentimental thing for me too.

I'm wondering if anybody has run the Crane 1.6 rockers like these-

Under these-

Thanks, you guys have been really helpful with this project of mine.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:16 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Modified Roller Rocker Arm Adjustment Nuts

If you cut the hexes off the rocker arm adjustment nuts and slot them with a 5/32" chain saw file they'll fit under the stock valve covers. I use this "T" wrench to turn them and then use this "O" wrench to hold them while I tighten the Allen lock screw.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 71VetteLover; 10-11-2017 at 01:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mitch.1972vette (08-16-2019)
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Les. Greetings from my new home in Indiana. You'll need to modify them. The drippers will hit the poly locks. The breathers may also be a problem. I had planned to use the Crane Gold, but they were back ordered at the time, so I went with Comp Magnums on my 383. The magnums are a bit wider, but I think the Crane's would still interfere with the breather housings.

I ended up gutting the baffles from the breather housings and then made a tool for modifying the sides of the breather. It reduces the width to allow wider rockers. I then fabbed some new baffles out of shim stock. I can send you the tool if you want or you could send the VC's to me and I'll mod them for you.

Tom
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 AM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi Les, we do them all the time on our 100% stock-appearing fully rollered builds.

We use stainless rocker with in-house machine poly-locks. This allows the use of any OEM valve cover AND a single-thick gasket.

Many builds get 1.6 intake rockers with 1.5 exhausts, we use this setup when "chasing" some add'l HP power numbers.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Just for the record the SB's are much more labor-intensive than the BB's. The BB's are fairly easy. Here's a few shots on a 327"/300 HP 100% stock-appearing build on a full roller cam/lifter platform AND no more cam buttons needed!
Attached Images   

Last edited by GOSFAST; 10-11-2017 at 08:43 AM.
mitch.1972vette (08-16-2019)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

There are also 1/2" adapter plates out there but they require two sets of gaskets and imo look wonky. I gave it up and went with taller covers on mine.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Les
Race Director

Tom,
I recently heard about your move from Steve- until then I had no idea! I hope life is good there. Thanks for the info. I've been running Crower 1.5 rollers under these valve covers for so many years that I'm not even sure how many. I remember having to "squeeze" the breather housings to obtain clearance for the rockers. Not the most elegant solution but it's been working forever. I guess it comes down to how much dimensional difference there is between the Crowers and the Cranes, both in width and height.

GOSFAST,
Thanks. The rockers are already bought and at my builder's shop, so I'm sort of committed to them. It sounds like you've created your own solution. Nice work- I love the sleeper theme and that's partly what I'm striving for.

dosoctaves,
Thanks, I'm thinking/hoping that double thick gaskets might be enough to work for me but I may not really know until the engine arrives. If not, the spacers you mentioned might be worth looking at.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:36 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

Removed drippers and baffles, double gasketed, NO problems at all. I believe the Chevy Performance Parts roller rockers are Crane.

Last edited by sunflower 1972; 10-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by sunflower 1972

Removed drippers and baffles, double gasketed, NO problems at all. I believe the Chevy Performance Parts roller rockers are Crane.
Excellent! That's very encouraging! Thanks.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Tom,
I recently heard about your move from Steve- until then I had no idea! I hope life is good there. Thanks for the info. I've been running Crower 1.5 rollers under these valve covers for so many years that I'm not even sure how many. I remember having to "squeeze" the breather housings to obtain clearance for the rockers. Not the most elegant solution but it's been working forever. I guess it comes down to how much dimensional difference there is between the Crowers and the Cranes, both in width and height.
Thanks. Life is great here. 10 acres and a 2400sq ft garage. Never been happier.

I should also mention that I use a 3/8 thick gasket. I thought about the spacer mentioned by dosoctaves , but they look kind of odd when mounted. One other thing to keep in mind is overall height depending on the air cleaner and intake that you use. I'm running the Weiand 7530 and a drop base air cleaner(going for the stock LT1 look). With vc spacers, the height may be too high or the angle too awkward if you plan to use a stock VC to air cleaner crankcase breather hose/tube. However, if you are running an even taller intake or a carb spacer, this likely would not be a problem.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:21 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

I hope that you guys don't mind me asking this question... I run 1.52 Comp Cam Magnum Steel Roller Tipps with LT1 valve covers, no drippers had to be cut or breather to be modified or Special gasket used, yes I know that These are not full rollers... Here my question: Would the same Rockers in 1.6 Ratio fit too, with no mods? Here are some pics of the 1.52 set up... I would look Forward to hear if the 1.6 Ratio would fit or not...

Thank you VERY much!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Alex66; 10-12-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:07 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Seems to me, that grinding off the drippers (there is a reason they are there).
Removing the baffle (there is a reason it is there also).
And doubling up a gasket in an area that is always prone to leak is:
Adding three problems to solve one problem (clearance).
IMHO
Old 10-12-2017, 08:20 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by Alex66
I hope that you guys don't mind me asking this question... I run 1.52 Comp Cam Magnum Steel Roller Tipps with LT1 valve covers, no drippers had to be cut or breather to be modified or Special gasket used, yes I know that These are not full rollers... Here my question: Would the same Rockers in 1.6 Ratio fit too, with no mods? Here are some pics of the 1.52 set up... I would look Forward to hear if the 1.6 Ratio would fit or not...

Thank you VERY much!

Yes, the 1.60's will also fit because the only difference is their push rod cup is moved toward the fulcrum ever-so-slightly.
Alex66 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Wouldn't the pushrod location be moved "away" from the fulcrum point on 1.6 not towards? More leverage.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Seems to me, that grinding off the drippers (there is a reason they are there).
Removing the baffle (there is a reason it is there also).
And doubling up a gasket in an area that is always prone to leak is:
Adding three problems to solve one problem (clearance).
IMHO
I've read that the Crane rockers I'm using provide for oiling to the bearings. I also read many years ago that the Crower roller rockers I've been using without any issues for at least 15-20 years do the same. I can't speak as to what other rockers have. I'll be looking at the baffle again to see if it even causes a clearance problem. If it does, I'll need to assess that at the time. The gaskets I use on my '69 427 are made double thick, meaning that they are one piece not two loose pieces. They therefore have two sealing surfaces like any other valve cover gasket.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by tsw71
Thanks. Life is great here. 10 acres and a 2400sq ft garage. Never been happier.

I should also mention that I use a 3/8 thick gasket. I thought about the spacer mentioned by dosoctaves , but they look kind of odd when mounted. One other thing to keep in mind is overall height depending on the air cleaner and intake that you use. I'm running the Weiand 7530 and a drop base air cleaner(going for the stock LT1 look). With vc spacers, the height may be too high or the angle too awkward if you plan to use a stock VC to air cleaner crankcase breather hose/tube. However, if you are running an even taller intake or a carb spacer, this likely would not be a problem.
Tom, it sounds like you have a very good thing going on there. Glad you're so happy. That intake, or the Victor Jr., would probably be my choice. Either would leave me room for a 1" phenolic spacer, which should enhance performance with my cam. So, that's the plan. Take care and enjoy life out there.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Wouldn't the pushrod location be moved "away" from the fulcrum point on 1.6 not towards? More leverage.
I think that is the immediate assumption most have when discussing rocker ratios. I had the same assumption at one point. However, you can't really move the rocker stud or valve location. The solution is to bring the pushrod cup closer to the fulcrum, so you get the same effective increase in leverage.

For general knowledge, there is a decent article here covers it (as well as some of the things to look out for when changing ratios):

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ker-arm-ratio/

Last edited by cooper9811; 10-13-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Alex66 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Good article to me, now I understand better! I will try the 1.6 Ratio Rockers on the intake side...

Get notified of new replies

To Crane roller rockers under 1970 LT1 valve covers?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:51 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by Les
I've read that the Crane rockers I'm using provide for oiling to the bearings. I also read many years ago that the Crower roller rockers I've been using without any issues for at least 15-20 years do the same. I can't speak as to what other rockers have. I'll be looking at the baffle again to see if it even causes a clearance problem. If it does, I'll need to assess that at the time. The gaskets I use on my '69 427 are made double thick, meaning that they are one piece not two loose pieces. They therefore have two sealing surfaces like any other valve cover gasket.

It's the oil mist that lubes them. When an engine is spinning it's like an oily hurricane inside.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:40 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,722 Likes on 2,947 Posts

How about a set of Crower stainless steel full roller rocker arms. My machinist suggested a set for my big block if we have clearance issues between the brake booster and the tall valve covers. He said they will fit under a stock big block valve cover with thick gaskets and has run them for other customers who want to keep the engine stock appearing with no issues. Here is a photo of a set for a sbc.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 10-14-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
How about a set of Crower stainless steel full roller rocker arms. My machinist suggested a set for my big block if we have clearance issues between the brake booster and the tall valve covers. He said they will fit under a stock big block valve cover with thick gaskets and has run them for other customers who want to keep the engine stock appearing with no issues. Here is a photo of a set for a sbc.
Thanks. I actually have those on the matching numbers engine that's coming out of the car. I also have them on the 427 in my '69 Vette-with double thick gaskets under stock style valve covers like you mentioned. However, my builder has his combos dialed in for stroker engines. He uses 1.6 rockers with cams that he knows how to optimize, so it's a formula that he knows will work very well. The AFR 210s like the extra lift provided by the 1.6 rockers.

The Crowers will go into storage with the rest of the 355 coming out. They are excellent rockers and your info is right on the money.
OldCarBum (10-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Crane roller rockers under 1970 LT1 valve covers?