C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another harness/connector question (1969)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Another harness/connector question (1969)

I am about done with an engine install and am ready to start the car for the first time, but I have no idea what this harness serves. It is powered with the key on, but not with it off. It comes out of the main engine harness somewhere in the vicinity of the wiper motor, but the wires are pretty long, so they could go to a number of places. I couldn't find it on the wire diagram so any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I just replaced the harness on my 69. I don't recall anything with a pink and yellow. I looked at 2 different diagrams and no luck there either. Only thing even close is the backup lights with a manual trans and the colors are wrong for that. Backup switch is Pink and Light Green. Sorry, not much help..
Old 09-13-2017, 10:36 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Two diagrams and no info....?? Pink wires are power wires/switched usually....cruise control?? I cant recall all but wiper/alternator/backup/and cruise all use a pink lead under the hood. Been tracing all mine, a 78, and thinking it must be one of those....???
Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by san
Two diagrams and no info....?? Pink wires are power wires/switched usually....cruise control?? I cant recall all but wiper/alternator/backup/and cruise all use a pink lead under the hood. Been tracing all mine, a 78, and thinking it must be one of those....???
There are 69 wire diagrams all over the internet. I looked at 2 that I have in my files. Nowhere can I find a RPO (regular production option) for cruise control for 1969 Corvette.
The original poster has a picture with that shows the wiper/washer systems plugged in.
The new harness I just installed from Lectric Limited had no pink wires going to the alternator. 2 red, 1 brown, 1 black.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:57 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
There are 69 wire diagrams all over the internet. I looked at 2 that I have in my files. Nowhere can I find a RPO (regular production option) for cruise control for 1969 Corvette.
The original poster has a picture with that shows the wiper/washer systems plugged in.
The new harness I just installed from Lectric Limited had no pink wires going to the alternator. 2 red, 1 brown, 1 black.
There is no pink and yellow combined wires with a white plug anywhere on a 69 engine harness. I noticed you don't have a stock distributor or a coil in the stock location so was it wired for some sort of electronic ignition? No idea other than that.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by TimAT
...Nowhere can I find a RPO (regular production option) for cruise control for 1969 Corvette...
FWIW: no factory cruise until 77.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:13 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think I may know what it is. This car had a GM HEI at one point. I wonder if it was added to plug into the HEI? The connector kinda looks like one that would plug in.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 AM
san
Instructor

Hei usually have seperated plugs, like one plug for tach, one plug for power, but its possible that there may have been a second plug that plugged into that whoxh seperated the wires. There are alot of possibilities what it could be, it could even be for a light under the hood. I stated what gm uses those color wires for. Something else to keep in mind, although i have wiring diagrams for my 78, produced by lectric, not EVERY SINGLE color code is exact. On some models although the factory color of a certain wire is suppose to be specific, sometimes you can find two identicle years that will have a color difference. It is also possible that someone changed/modified the harness, or added to it, and made it look so good that you think its factory.

​​​​​​​It does look like the power lead for the hei....are both wires going to a single plug?? I have seen hei power plug with two wires before....i believe it was an additional white wire, cant be sure, but it wasnt a corvette, it was 20 or more years ago and i think it was a gm truck.

Last edited by san; 09-14-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 AM
san
Instructor

Its kind of in a weird place for it but is it the washer fluid pump plug??
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Take a picture of the connector face so we can see what the terminals it connects to would look like.

Did you follow it and see if it attaches to different wires in the stock harness.

Considering about where the wires appear to start, could it be a tacked-on harness for a universal windshield washer pump?

Car wired for nitrous-oxide at one time? Could have been the activation switch.

Could it be a new harness for an aftermarket TH400 kickdown switch?

Get notified of new replies

To Another harness/connector question (1969)

Quick Reply: Another harness/connector question (1969)